AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funk Audio 6.1P Planar Tweeter Curved Cabinet Monitor, $2550/Pair

Nathan Funk sent me a loaner set of the 6.1P speakers last week. Here is my impression after spending time with them.

The Funk Audio 6.1P has crystal clear midrange, smooth treble, strong mid-upper bass, very wide and deep soundstage, and superb image. The sound is very pleasant, neutral, and non-fatiguing. The aesthetic is very pleasing and it seems to be very well built.

The 6.1P's curved laminated cabinet measures 16.5" high 10" wide 12" deep. F3 is 47Hz, F10 is 40Hz, and weighs 23lbs. Sensitivity is 89dB/2.83V/m, but it seems to be as loud as the 802D2, much louder than the KEF 201/2, Salon2, and Philharmonic 3. It has the Speakon connector, instead of banana plugs. Nathan included a pair of Speakon-Banana adapters.

I compared the 6.1P to the KEF 201/2, TAD 2201, ATC SCM7 in both 2.0 and 2.1 mode. I switched the 6.1P back and forth with the KEF 201/2 in my HT room and switched the 6.1P with the ATC SCM7 in the family room. I also compared the 6.1P to the Salon 2, B&W 802D2, Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Focal 826V, and Dynaudio X32 in 2.1 mode using dual Funk 18.0 subs.

I listened to Classical piano and strings from Mozart and Ennio Morriconeand and music from Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live At Radio City Music Hall, The Eagles Hell Freezes Over, and Mindy Gledhill. These are music that I listen to all the time and use for auditioning.

Listening distance in my HT room is about 10ft and in my family room is about 12ft. My usual volume threshold (max SPL) measured by my Galaxy digital SPL is 87dBA or 107dBC.

The 6.1P's produce among the most rich, high resolution, ultra detail, accurate, and dynamic live sound I have heard. Pianos solos sound fabulous. Guitar solos sound fantastic. Stings sound incredible. Both male and female vocals sound amazing. They sound great at low volume (my daughters asked me to turn down the volume at one point). But the next day when I was home alone, I cranked up the volume and these speakers seem so at ease and unchallenged with everything I threw at them. It was as if they wanted me to turn up the volume way up, but I have my limits, which is way below the 6.1P's limit for sure. There is absolutely no hint of compression or distortion.

Combine with subwoofers like the Funk 18.0, the 6.1P sounds as awesome and grand as any large full-range tower I have heard, including the Revel Salon 2, B&W 802D2, and Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1. But the most important thing about these 6.1P speakers is that they sound very lifelike, fun, exciting, thrilling, and emotional, not clinical or boring or lifeless. They make me want to sit up, live and participate in the the sound, not just passively observe the sound. After listening for 3 hours straight, I feel absolutely no fatigue or ear strain or any hint of discomfort. The sound is just enjoyable. They are a blast to listen to.

If I didn't own any speakers right now (instead of 9 sets of speakers), I would be quite happy with just five Funk Audio 6.1P speakers, two Funk Audio 18.0 subwoofers, and no other speakers and subs. These 6.1P's are excellent speakers, and I highly recommend them for anyone who enjoys the sound of high energy dynamic live music, anyone who likes the sound of the Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3, and Philharmonic 3, anyone who loves music of all kinds.

I am sure some of you are thinking, "So how EXACTLY do these 6.1Ps compare to the likes of Salon2, KEF 201/2, etc." Well, I know why most pro reviewers don't even attempt to verbalize. Great speakers sound great. Period. Yes, there are differences, which is expected. There are differences among "identical" pianos, violins, guitars, etc., as well. Subjectively, the 6.1Ps may have more clarity and detail in the midrange and treble. Subjectively. The bottom line is, I would be completely happy with the 6.1P + 18.0 subs and no other speakers.

And that is my impression.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Nice review, thanks for sharing. If you are the market for a bookshelf speaker I would strongly recommend you give the Ascend Acoustics new Sierra 2s a try as well. Thirty day in-home trial and they are $1k less than the Funk's. Custom RAAL ribbon tweeter along with a custom SEAS woofer has resulted in an incredible bookshelf speaker at an even better price - plus they use bamboo for their cabinets - no extra charge like Swan. Look forward to seeing some pro reviews on Funk and Sierra 2.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great to see this comparison.

It's one thing to make and design speakers with the idea that you are making them as good as is possible.

Having someone listen and comment that has a great ear and a lot of time and experience on top flight hardware is awesome!

Having seen the comparison to such good quality speakers and come out on an even playing field makes me very proud of what our team has put together.

Very nice to read this comparison and the positive comments.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Quote:
I would strongly recommend you give the Ascend Acoustics new Sierra 2s a try as well.

Nice looking speaker!

And good choice in drivers. Very well thought out, and a good complementary design.

I have worked with that type of cone in the past, and have one in driver that might be seeing the light of day latter this year.

But very different type of speaker.

And also very different type of cabinet.

So there is some logical reason why there is a difference in cost.

Efficiency is one of them, 4 db greater efficiency in the Funk Audio 6.1, And there is a slightly lower Fs in Nathan's cabinet.

And the planar we use is very robust. Not in any way like a conventional ribbon.

The driver we chose for Nathan's 6.1 has quite a bit larger surface area. This allows us to set a cross-over point that is much more in line with a point source than using a ribbon that has to be crossed over close to the midwoofer's piston radiation point.

Last but not least the driver in Nathans is considerably larger. The Sea has 99cm^2 Nathans is 143 cm^2.

This makes quite a difference in a drivers ability to reproduce lower midrange with the required authority to go loud and proud.

It also makes listening long term fatigue free. And that was something well noted by the reviewer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Every nice looking speakers. Would be interesting to listen to a set some time!

Nice review and compared speakers at the same time, well done..

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24385550

Nice looking speaker!

And good choice in drivers. Very well thought out, and a good complementary design.

I have worked with that type of cone in the past, and have one in driver that might be seeing the light of day latter this year.

But very different type of speaker.

And also very different type of cabinet.

So there is some logical reason why there is a difference in cost.

Efficiency is one of them, 4 db greater efficiency in the Funk Audio 6.1, And there is a slightly lower Fs in Nathan's cabinet.

And the planar we use is very robust. Not in any way like a conventional ribbon.

The driver we chose for Nathan's 6.1 has quite a bit larger surface area. This allows us to set a cross-over point that is much more in line with a point source than using a ribbon that has to be crossed over close to the midwoofer's piston radiation point.

Last but not least the driver in Nathans is considerably larger. The Sea has 99cm^2 Nathans is 143 cm^2.

This makes quite a difference in a drivers ability to reproduce lower midrange with the required authority to go loud and proud.

It also makes listening long term fatigue free. And that was something well noted by the reviewer.

Mark - thanks for taking time to post some additional details. Send me a set and I will be happy to compare. It would be great to see some charts, and compare them to the 2s and other similar bookshelves.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Those speakers are made to order, not mass manufactured, so I wouldn't think they would have as much room to send out sets to audition. However that may not be a bad approach for Funk, send out an audition set and bounce it around the country to interested parties, kind of like how AJ did with his Soundfield Audio monitors. That would definitely help spread the good word of mouth.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24399612

Mark - thanks for taking time to post some additional details. Send me a set and I will be happy to compare. It would be great to see some charts, and compare them to the 2s and other similar bookshelves.

Yeah...I'm all for that...IIRC...I think AJ did something similar with his SAM design(aka: Soundfield Audio Monitors)....I know one member was able to closely compared them to his 340's... and the 340 did rather well...Purdy good considering the price differential between the two. I do appreciate how they compare to more expensive speakers as in in the case of ATDG but to me its just as important as to how they compare to less expensive ones as well.

Come on Nate...how about it...

Oh God I had the same thought as ShadyJ....that's creepy...

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
A review is nice - but looking at their website not much info on any of their speakers or subs unless the Canadians are messing with us south of the border. Craftsmanship looks great - but it would look even better with some photos of higher quality. Tried to check out the subs too - no shot of the back? I hope the website continues to evolve - it would be great to learn more about Funk! Not rock and roll - sorry couldn't resist

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24399939

A review is nice - but looking at their website not much info on any of their speakers or subs unless the Canadians are messing with us south of the border. Craftsmanship looks great - but it would look even better with some photos of higher quality. Tried to check out the subs too - no shot of the back? I hope the website continues to evolve - it would be great to learn more about Funk! Not rock and roll - sorry couldn't resist

We do have a ton of stuff to get up on the new site still, just been really busy. We will be getting more info up soon though. In the meantime if anyone has specific questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Quote:
Craftsmanship looks great - but it would look even better with some photos of higher quality. Tried to check out the subs too - no shot of the back? I hope the website continues to evolve - it would be great to learn more about Funk! Not rock and roll - sorry couldn't resist smile.gif
Duly noted.

What might be good to do is create a draw for review opportunities

Master Funk can figure that one out..

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I also support the notion of comparing via auditioning. I currently have RAAL equipped Sierra-1's that I absolutely love! I would be very interested to see how these Funk speakers compare. What is the price on the 6.1P? If it is around the $2,000 dollar mark, I am not so sure that I wouldn't choose the Sierra Tower instead, but, having not heard the 6.1P, I can not say for certain as I could absolutely love them more than the Sierra Towers. No way of know without an audition to compare.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Nathan,

Whats the crossover point between the drivers?

·
Registered
471 Posts

Quote:
Whats the crossover point between the drivers?

That's like asking a chef to divulge the recipe for his best dishes.

The cross over is at the optimal point to create a smooth and pleasing loudspeaker.

You get to enjoy it as a little mystery.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24487721

That's like asking a chef to divulge the recipe for his best dishes.

The cross over is at the optimal point to create a smooth and pleasing loudspeaker.

You get to enjoy it as a little mystery.

I personally don't feel that way. In my opinion, I would not trust a manufacture that concealed the crossover points to their customers.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24487883

I personally don't feel that way. In my opinion, I would not trust a manufacture that concealed the crossover points to their customers.

And I'm sure Nathan will include them with the full specs on the website...

...but until they appear, you got to ask.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Are these a sealed design, or is there a rear port?

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1518895/funk-audio-speakers#post_24518963

Are these a sealed design, or is there a rear port?

Website - needs work but has the info you seek (rear ported).

http://funkaudio.ca

1 - 20 of 26 Posts