AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nathan was kind enough to provide a shot of my 18.0 which is under construction:

Brindle Bamboo finish. I'll be going with the TSAD18v1 driver. I'm really looking forward to this one!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dayummmmmm...thats gonna be........damn.

·
Registered
632 Posts
"TheLion" and "henrich3" you may be interested to know we just did some ground plane output testing on some of our subs,

The 18.0 Ground plane at 2m, produced the following peak output numbers;

10hz 95.9db

12.5hz 102.3db

16hz 106.6db

20hz 111.2db

25hz 113.8db

32hz 115.6db

40hz 120.0db

50hz 123.5db

63hz 125.9db

80hz 124.4db

100hz 124.1db

125hz 124.4db

The 18.3 produced

10hz 95.8db

12.5hz 101.2db

16hz 108.2db

20hz 114.2db

25hz 115.9db

32hz 121.2db

40hz 121.4db

50hz 122.7db

63hz 123.1db

80hz 123.3db

100hz 123.2db

125hz 123.7db

As you can see on average the 18.3 has roughly the output of two 18.0's(+~3db) ~16hz~35hz(and it has lower distortion in this range as well)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Impressive! Especially on the deep end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Funk Audio 18.0 Review

Description:

Funk Audio Model 18.0, TSAD 18 driver, 2400 Watt DSP amp, Brindle Bamboo finish

Setup:

My HT (aka “the family room”) is 15’ x 20’, but has a vaulted ceiling & one end is open to the rest of the house. I decided that the best way to improve the low end in this tough room was to throw more subs at the problem. The 18.0 joins a Velodyne HGS-15 and a Funk Audio 15.0 x2. The mains & surrounds are Paradigm S8’s and the center is a Paradigm C5. They’re driven by a Denon AVR-5308 receiver that’s been upgraded with Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32. The mains are set to small in the receiver and the crossovers are set to 80 Hz.

Measurements:

The following chart was taken from the listening postion with Audyssey enabled:

The DSP amp in this sub includes the ability to adjust the frequency response if desired. No DSP adjustments were made prior to the measurement shown above however.

Listening:

After placement, Audyssey setup, and my post-Audyssey tweaks, I played some good LFE-heavy music tracks. I started with Joe Satriani’s Starry Night on SACD Surround. The kick drum and bass guitar had impressive power and just sounded wonderful. The best I’ve ever heard. Tracks from several other albums also put a smile on my face. I then fired up my projector and played some tracks from a few Blu-ray concert videos: Pretenders - Loose in L.A., David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, and AC/DC - Live at Donnington. The low end in every case was palpable. My couch resonated with the kick drums & bass guitars. Bass had a clarity that was noticeably better than what I’m used to hearing.

I shifted to movies, starting with War of the Worlds. The earthquake as the alien craft emerges from the ground and then incinerates everything in it's path was very impressive. The Funk shined with the heavy LFE in Star Trek (2009) whenever the warp drive was engaged, on shuttle craft landings, and the numerous explosions. (Apparently you can hear explosions in the vacuum of space...)

The 18.0 puts out significantly higher SPL levels than my other Funk sub at a given gain setting in the receiver. The 18.0 benefits from some boundary gain in the fireplace location. The higher efficiency of the TSAD 18 driver versus the dual LMSR-15’s deserves most of the credit for the higher SPL’s however. I’m able to get powerful low end in my tough room running the 18.0 solo and leaving both of the other subs powered off. The excursion of the TSAD driver seems small even when it’s cranking out high SPL’s so I seriously doubt I will ever over-drive this beast.

Integration issue:

OmniMic shows the response curve of the 18.0 at my listening position as being respectably flat, but there are significant dropouts at 17, 37, and 70 Hz when I power up all three subs. The dropouts weren’t there when the two other subs played without the 18.0. I haven’t resolved this yet. I’ll need to spend a little time working the issue next weekend. If I can’t get all three to play well together one of the other subs may need to find a new home. The 18.0 isn’t going anywhere...

Conclusion:

When I think of the 9 weeks it took from order placement until the 18.0 arrived on my door step, I’m reminded of the saying “Good things come to those who wait”. The 18.0 is a very good thing indeed. The bamboo finish is impeccable. The carbon-fiber driver looks & sounds like a million bucks. The curves give it a little extra eye appeal. It’s tough to know in advance whether ordering a custom sub is going to be worth the time and expense. If I had the opportunity to do it over again however, I wouldn’t change a thing...

Edit 11/25 - Replaced close mic chart with one from the MLP.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/270#post_22438381

Impressive! Especially on the deep end of the spectrum.

Please don't directly compare Nate's results to AH or Data-Bass measurements I have taken. I suspect there are some differences in how they are taken. Thanks!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is always true when comparing measurements taken by different people at different times, places and with different equipment. I do feel our numbers are accurate as are Josh's but one must always remember there very well may be some differences, but the comparisons should at least get you in the "ballpark". FYI we are working on getting some tests done by audioholics/Josh as soon as possible.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/270#post_22438544

Funk Audio 18.0 Review

Description:

Funk Audio Model 18.0, TSAD 18 driver, 2400 Watt DSP amp, Brindle Bamboo finish
Setup:

My HT (aka “the family room”) is 15’ x 20’, but has a vaulted ceiling & one end is open to the rest of the house. I decided that the best way to improve the low end in this tough room was just to throw more subs at the problem. The 18.0 joins a Velodyne HGS-15 and a Funk Audio 15.0 x2. The mains & surrounds are Paradigm S8’s and the center is a Paradigm C5. They’re driven by a Denon AVR-5308 receiver that’s been upgraded with Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32. The mains are set to small in the receiver and the crossovers are set to 80 Hz.
Measurements:

The following chart is a close mic measurement taken 6” from the center of the TSAD 18” driver with no EQ engaged. (The drop above 80 Hz is due to the crossover.):

Readings from the listening position with Audyssey enabled are similar to the chart above but with a slightly flatter response curve. The DSP amp in this sub gives one the ability to tweak the response as desired. I’ll probably try a slight lift to the low end at some point, but haven’t had the time to play with it yet.
Listening:

After placement, Audyssey setup, and my post-Audyssey tweaks, I played some good LFE-heavy music tracks. I started with Joe Satriani’s Starry Night on SACD Surround. The kick drum and bass guitar had impressive power and just sounded wonderful. The best I’ve ever heard. Tracks from several other albums also put a smile on my face. I then fired up my projector and played some tracks from a few Blu-ray concert videos: Pretenders - Loose in L.A., David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, and AC/DC - Live at Donnington. The low end in every case was palpable. My couch resonated with the kick drums & bass guitars. Bass had a clarity that was noticeably better than what I’m used to hearing.

I shifted to movies, starting with War of the Worlds. The earthquake as the alien craft emerges from the ground and then incinerates everything in it's path was very impressive. The Funk shined with the heavy LFE in Star Trek (2009) whenever the warp drive was engaged, on shuttle craft landings, and the numerous explosions. (Apparently you can hear explosions in the vacuum of space..)

The 18.0 puts out significantly higher SPL levels than my other Funk sub at a given gain setting in the receiver. The 18.0 probably benefits from boundary gain in it’s firplace location. I suspect the higher efficiency of the TSAD 18 driver versus the dual LMSR-15’s should get most of the credit for the higher SPL’s however. In any case, I’m able to get powerful low end in my tough room running the 18.0 solo and leaving both of the other subs powered off. The excursion of the TSAD driver seems small even when it’s cranking out high SPL’s, so I seriously doubt I will ever over-drive this beast.
Integration issue:

OmniMic shows the response curve of the 18.0 at my listening position as being respectably flat, but there are significant dropouts at 17, 37, and 70 Hz when I power up all three subs. The dropouts weren’t there when the two other subs played without the 18.0. I haven’t resolved this yet. I’ll need to spend a little time working the issue next weekend. If I can’t get all three to play well together one of the other subs may need to find a new home. The 18.0 isn’t going anywhere...
Conclusion:

When I think of the 9 weeks it took from order placement until the 18.0 arrived on my door step, I’m reminded of the saying “Good things come to those who wait”. The 18.0 is a very good thing indeed. The bamboo finish is impeccable. The carbon-fiber driver looks & sounds like a million bucks. The curves give it a little extra eye appeal. It’s tough to know in advance whether ordering a custom sub is going to be worth the time and expense. If I had the opportunity to do it over again however, I wouldn’t change a thing...

Nice Review,

my advice, sell older subs and get second Model 18.0 with TSAD 18 driver and your quest for subwoofers is over

·
Registered
471 Posts

Quote:
Please don't directly compare Nate's results to AH or Data-Bass measurements I have taken. I suspect there are some differences in how they are taken. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I worked with Nathan for over a week setting up very exhaustive testing of all his products. I am in the process of writing up the specifications for most of his enclosures.

As for test conditions:

Ground plane, two meters, dual differential microphones. Mics are calibrated. System used is the Smith and Larson WooferTesterPro, one of the most comprehensive test systems available.

Signals used were single sine wave point by point measurements for the highest possible resolution. Closest possible reflections were well over 30 feet away. So the numbers will correspond to anechoic measurements. The fullrange speakers were tested above the ground off of a platform to allow full anechoic testing to 230 hertz. Below that we use close mic methods.

We kept the levels at a minimum of 90db @ 2 meters to keep spurious noise levels out of the measurement window.

I hope this is what you do Josh. If it is, then we do indeed have comparable measurements.

For peak output testing we went just a little bit louder!

We powered each device under test with either Nathan's amplifiers or an IPAL module for peak output.

The IPAL module is a very interesting piece of kit. For the mathematicians among you guys we peaked out a 158.9 volts into .6 ohms.

Yes that is a heck of a lot of power, AES tone bursts were used to generate peak output levels. Of greatest interest is that most of the subs are power limited in their passband above 32 hertz. Not excursion limited.

I'll help out with the math.

158.9 * 158.9 = 25249.21 / 0.6 = 42082 watts peak power output.

Scary man, just plain scary.

I had the joyous privilege of sitting within a foot of the dual 18 minding the amps measuring the voltage and making sure there was no over excursion.

Ear plugs, ear muffs and still bloody loud!

Mark

Consultant and Designer

Kravchenko-Audio

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/280_40#post_22439825

my advice, sell older subs and get second Model 18.0 with TSAD 18 driver and your quest for subwoofers is over

The other Funk & the Velo are both fine subs. I don't think that either is up to what the TSAD 18.0 puts out however. I don't have much flexibility to move them around which is probably what needs to happen. We'll see this weekend. Worst case, I may just take your advice...

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/270#post_22441279

The other Funk & the Velo are both fine subs. I don't think that either is up to what the TSAD 18.0 puts out however. I don't have much flexibility to move them around which is probably what needs to happen. We'll see this weekend. Worst case, I may just take your advice...

Hi henrich3,

yes it is very easy to inegrate the two inentical subs to play the best in the room, even if they are not stacked you can have them co-located in the room and get gain +6dB with second one and the numbers for 2m are just great for one and for the second one you add +6dB and that is outside, inside you can count also for insane room gain
and you have two winners.

The 18.0 Ground plane at 2m, produced the following peak output numbers;

10hz 95.9db

12.5hz 102.3db

16hz 106.6db

20hz 111.2db

25hz 113.8db

32hz 115.6db

40hz 120.0db

50hz 123.5db

63hz 125.9db

80hz 124.4db

100hz 124.1db

125hz 124.4db

·
Registered
471 Posts
Done.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nice update to the website, Nathan! That Brindle Bamboo model on the 18.0 Images page looks particularly sweet.

http://www.funkaudio.ca/18.0_Images.html

I'm still enjoying my TSAD 18.0. I'm still amazed that it can outperform my other two subs combined. Regarding the integration issue mentioned in my last post, it seems I only have the nulls when the Velodyne is running with the 18.0. The dual LMSR-15 sub is significantly less efficient than the 18.0 (~ 15 dB less) so it's not helping much either. Running the 18.0 solo still provides the best SQ in my room from the limited testing I've done. Assuming my back is up to the task next weekend, I'll try moving the subs around to find better placements. I may be able to squeeze the dual 15 into the corner on the other side of the room. If corner-loading doesn't help I may hit you up for a matching 18.0 after I find a taker for the other two...

Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice update to the Funk Audio website.

I already have 2 x 8.2P and 1 x 5.4P as a centre channel on pre-order.

I will be updating the thread with pictures of the speakers as Nathan sends them to me and of course a review the finished product.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The website is starting to shape up nicely. The photos are looking good.

I do want to point out an error, however, in the description of the ported 18.1 sub:

Features

• 18" High excursion driver

Curved sided sealed enclosure

• Funk Audio 800 watts RMS amplifier

• Baltic birch ply construction

• 1.5" thick baffle

• Comes with rubber feet or carpet spikes

20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep

Obviously, this in not a curved sided sealed enclosure and the dimensions seem incorrect.

·
Registered
632 Posts
All fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/270#post_22461333

The website is starting to shape up nicely. The photos are looking good.

I do want to point out an error, however, in the description of the ported 18.1 sub:

Features

• 18" High excursion driver

Curved sided sealed enclosure

• Funk Audio 800 watts RMS amplifier

• Baltic birch ply construction

• 1.5" thick baffle

• Comes with rubber feet or carpet spikes

20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep

Obviously, this in not a curved sided sealed enclosure and the dimensions seem incorrect.

281 - 300 of 766 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.