AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got the itch to upgrade to either the dual JTR 1400s or dual RA Gamma 218s to replace my dual SVS PB13 Ultras. Why I want to upgrade, I really don't know. Bored, complacent, or maybe the proverbial "more is better". I listed the subs on Craigslist, eBay, and here on AVS. Regardless of how many times I put "the price is firm" people never failed to try to low ball. I get everyone wants a deal but I went as far to say that even if you show up with cash and wave it in my face the price is firm. Never the less, I got the typical, "What is your cash price?". Sometimes I just want to ask them what they planned to pay me with - hugs...lol?

Today, I had a guy come over to audition them in person. Nicely dressed, decent truck, and he knew a bit about home theater. I thought, this is it - the subs are sold. As I popped in Tron and took it to 80 (well below reference), I just smiled as the entire room shook violently. I could see he was impressed, but he tried to keep a poker face but it was too late. I saw his face when those subs hit - priceless. He then pulled out a CD that he wanted to hear, which was Steely Dan. I just sat back and said to myself, "man, my system just sounds nice". Well balanced, nice punch, and I thought to myself, "Why am I upgrading?" I can't even max out the subs I have in this room, what am I doing? Here I am selling subs for half of what I paid for them and getting ready to throw another couple thousand at new bigger subs.

I wasn't going to waste the guys time, so if he pulled out the cash, they were going in his truck because I am a man of my word. It just so happens, he tried to seriously low ball me on the pair. After I said no, and told him he was crazy, he offered to buy one but still at $50 less than my asking price. He looked totally dumbfounded when I thanked him and politely told him they were no longer for sale :D

Sometimes, it takes that moment to step back and appreciate what you have. Sure, there are bigger and badder. There are systems people own on here that would trounce mine; but, in that moment, I was more pleased with my setup than I had ever been before. I am pleased with what I have, and I just don't need more. JTR and Reactive will have to wait. I will go their direction when these subs die, but that may be a long time considering I have a Def Tech sub from 1995 that still works :eek:

Just thought I would share.......

Chris

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I know how you feel. I sold my SVS PB12-NSD and later regretted it. After trying a couple of other newer, more expensivesubs, ended up buying another PB12-NSD to replace the one I sold. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you no longer have it. Or in your case, almost no longer have it.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Chris. Dealing with people can be ... well ... trying ;). I'm happy to hear that having people audition your dual PB-13 Ultras ended up changing your mind. It's the grass is always greener syndrome. Continue to enjoy those marvelous subs :).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Lowballers are the worst. I don't mind some haggling, which is why I list things higher than what I actually expect to get. Sucks that the dude wasted your time. I also get a kick out of the "what is your cash price?" question. It doesn't even make any sense lol.

People can also try to get too much money for stuff. I get annoyed seeing several year old speakers/subs that are on their third or fourth owners being listed for 75% of msrp.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe I was asking too much but I thought $975 each was a fair price (original owner). This bozo offered $750 for both! I am glad he came over because if it weren't for that audition and specifically that music CD he played, I would have made a decision I think I would have regretted long-term and spent several thousand dollars that I didn't need to spend.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Newer isn't necessarily better. Your subs are very good already and if you never reach their limit/headroom, why upgrade? Glad they stay as you will be sure regret to let them go for that price.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Maybe I was asking too much but I thought $975 each was a fair price (original owner). This bozo offered $750 for both! I am glad he came over because if it weren't for that audition and specifically that music CD he played, I would have made a decision I think I would have regretted long-term and spent several thousand dollars that I didn't need to spend.
975 each is a VERY good deal for a PB13 Ultra if it is in good condition. That guy was an idiot! A 750 offer for both is insulting, so its good that he didn't even manage to snag them for the price you already stated.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I hate it when people try to low ball or scam me to drop my price on something when I have it listed "Firm". Do people not know what "Firm" means? Then I always reply back with a higher price. Sometimes double price. Just because I don't want to do business with that person.
But, just the opposite. I tried to give away a computer desk on Craigslist one time because I got a new desk and just wanted it gone ASAP. I never got 1 response. A few days later I re-posted it for $40 and sold it in 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you never come close to your current subs limits then there is no need to upgrade. You have some potent subs, sure there maybe newer and higher output subs on the market, but that does not mean what you have is lacking. Best thing you can do is stay away from these forums and enjoy your system.
lol... These these Forums are trouble. There has been times I thought I should throw away my calibrating mic and delete REW. You know the old saying. "Ignorance is bliss".

·
Registered
437 Posts
When did you buy them?

$750 for both LOL

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I would have given you $1000 and felt bad about taking advantage of you. Anyway good for you for standing firm. Keep them and just add too them later.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
OP are your subs still available? If so, will you take $974 a piece? :D

Reactions: csnow

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Lol I do have a truck. I too contemplate selling my FV15HP's from time to time. I blame this on all these companies coming out with new killer subs and giving me an itch to try them out. I am in no way dissatisfied with my subs and can see myself owning them for years to come. This forum and I have a love hate relationship. If I had never stumbled upon it I would probably still have my Bose 3-2-1 system and have more money in my pocket. With that said, it opened my eyes to sound I could have never dreamed of with all my previous home theater in the box setups.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Upgrading is a sickness that many suffer from - sadly I think it is a terminal condition with no cure. I look at some of the systems on here with envy and salivating mouth. I can't imagine the outputs of these monsters. Even after falling in love back in love with my meager setup last night, I still have a small, evil voice in my head whispering, JTR...lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts