AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm...no thread yet? Checked it out tonight, and thought it was GREAT. After possible Oscar buzz, it's now just getting above mediocre reviews, saying it's too long, veers off course in the third act, etc. It is rather long, but a movie is only too long if you're bored, which I was not. And the packed theater I saw it in didn't seem bored, either. There were even applause at the end. It was funny throughout, and I kept waiting for a lull to come, and thankfully it never did.

Very well acted, sharp and funny dialog, and interesting people. You should check it out.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 /forum/post/16933011

Hmmm...no thread yet? Checked it out tonight, and thought it was GREAT. After possible Oscar buzz, it's now just getting above mediocre reviews, saying it's too long, veers off course in the third act, etc. It is rather long, but a movie is only too long if you're bored, which I was not. And the packed theater I saw it in didn't seem bored, either. There were even applause at the end. It was funny throughout, and I kept waiting for a lull to come, and thankfully it never did.

Very well acted, sharp and funny dialog, and interesting people. You should check it out.

Checked it out and it was just about a complete miss for me. If you like Adam Sandler being Adam Sandler then I guess you would think this is a GREAT movie. It was Ok at best and way tooooooo looooong (146 min.!) Ocsar buzz? You've got to be kidding me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/16936305

Checked it out and it was just about a complete miss for me. If you like Adam Sandler being Adam Sandler then I guess you would think this is a GREAT movie. It was Ok at best and way tooooooo looooong (146 min.!) Ocsar buzz? You've got to be kidding me.

Wow...Hey, I don't like most Adam Sandler movies (exceptions: Punch-Drunk Love, The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates), but definitely liked this one. I'm usually sensitive to long movies, but this just didn't seem like it to me.

And in defense of the Oscar statement, even though it's unlikely now, there definitely was a lot of pre-release Oscar buzz--merited or not.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I saw this as well thought it was OK. very much playing himself. a bit to long for what it was trying to do. prehapps seth rogen can learn to act someday other wise he will be playing the same person all the time. there seems to be a few "new" "actors" out there like this as it seem the ability to act is less and less important as the storylines just aren't there as much anymore

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/16939449

.....seems to be a few "new" "actors" out there like this as it seem the ability to act is less and less important as the storylines just aren't there as much anymore

Why do you need to act when you have block buster hits that use shaky cam/fast edits, lots of explosions, car chases, ect. and no story line or plot.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
I agree that Funny People was too long. There were stretches during which I noticed my mind wandering. On the upside, it is often very funny and any movie with Leslie Mann is never a bad thing. The film had a melancholy core, which I appreciated but its over-length detracted from this otherwise effective tone. If Apatow had been a little more ruthless in the cutting room he could have had a MUCH better film. 7 out of 10 stars.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
This is a good movie with terrible marketing. The trailers are a lie. They tried so hard to imply that this is another Superbad\\Forgetting Sarah Marshall... but it isn't as this film has much more heart. It was like a slightly more mature Knocked Up with less LOL comedy and more serious substance. Kinda like Knocked Up meets Click. Also, I didn't feel the length hurt the film much. Ya, it could've been "tighter", but it was paced well enough that it wasn't an issue for me.

Being an Apatow film it still had plenty of LOL comedy. Sandler played his role well. Rogen did OK for having a more tangible role than has become his norm (the restaurant crying scene was awesome haha). The supporting cast was great, and I dont think I've ever seen a film with more cameos than this one. Overall I enjoyed the film and recommend at least a rental.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.