AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the box and for the first week, my new Panny 42" plasma had a funny chemical/electrical smell that eventually went away (or I got so used to it, I don't notice it any more). Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it was?


thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I noticed that on my Fujitsu as well, but it has disappeared after a few days use. It is common on all new electronics I believe, perhaps the coating on the components "burning off" or some such thing.


Pete...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Sometimes small rodents manage to get inside the panel during the manufacturing process and die there. They slowly decompose and exude a horrid stench. Eventually they will be consumed by maggots and microbes; this is when the smell subsides. Exposure to air speeds the process. Extreme cases require removal of the back panel to extricate the remains and any sticky, gooey mess that may have oozed onto sensitive electronic components. You may want to consider calling the Orkin man. I understand that the Panasonic manufacturing facilities are especially prone to this type of thing as their vermin control procedures tend to be a bit on the lax side although most all manufacturers have reported sporadic infestations at one time or another. When was your panel built? Which factory?

Do you see flies coming out of your screen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
I was going to say he must have the new panny summer release features of smellavision.. :D


BUT that is TOTALLY DISGUSTING..like we do not have enough to worry about NOW we have to worry about plasma bugs? Let me ask you this, if you go shopping and buy fruit and a little fruit fly wants to come with you..are they attracted to the heat or components in the plasma???


Now that you brought all of this up Andy I just thought I would ask. Also, :D Someone better put this in the FAQ sheet ASAP!


I've heard it all now!! I just cannot get over it.


:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I believe (hope?) AndyMon was being facetious. Modern manufacturing plants -- especially with this technology -- are incredibly clean. Lisa, fruit flies are only attracted to a plasma set if it is showing a peach in HD, BTW. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,099 Posts
Andy,


What a horrible joke (people are taking this seriously, I expect)....


"New car smell" has a new companion "New plasma smell". Soon, we will have little liquid sprays that you can spray your old plasma to reobtain that "new plasma smell" right before important friends or colleagues arrive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
i want my NEC to smell new again, where can i purchase that spray that you referred to and will it harm the screen if i spray it directly on the glass ?


:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyMon
Sometimes small rodents manage to get inside the panel during the manufacturing process and die there. They slowly decompose and exude a horrid stench. Eventually they will be consumed by maggots and microbes; this is when the smell subsides. Exposure to air speeds the process. Extreme cases require removal of the back panel to extricate the remains and any sticky, gooey mess that may have oozed onto sensitive electronic components. You may want to consider calling the Orkin man. I understand that the Panasonic manufacturing facilities are especially prone to this type of thing as their vermin control procedures tend to be a bit on the lax side although most all manufacturers have reported sporadic infestations at one time or another. When was your panel built? Which factory?

Do you see flies coming out of your screen?
:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thanks for the replies, both the serious and the not so serious. I was a little disconcerting to plug in a new $$$ device and have the thing smell like it was melting down. Just wanted to check if this was the norm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Now the eternal question: Which display smells better the Panasonic or the Pioneer ???

Dont trust other people reviews you have to go and smell it yourself....


:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hacorzo
Now the eternal question: Which display smells better the Panasonic or the Pioneer ???

Dont trust other people reviews you have to go and smell it yourself....


:D
Let me put my 2 scents in here.

Do I smell a shoot out in the making. OK, who's going to organize the Smell-Out? Maybe one on each coast? Does anyone know of any B&M's that are odor neutral AND have all popular makes and models on display?


Personally, I feel that the Fujitsu 50 has the best smelling moving (and still) pictures in the universe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyMon
Personally, I feel that the Fujitsu 50 has the best smelling moving (and still) pictures in the universe.
But see, other peoples' noses may not be the same as yours. I think we'd deifnately have to have a smell off? Of course, if this turns into a flame war, do nose hairs get singed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
On the serious note, it's generally going to be small dust particles picked up during packaging, as well as lubricant residue from assembly. Manufacturing plants for electronics are exteremely sterile, but the machines they use to assemble to require maintenance. I've noticed the odor on many new electronics. I took one power supply apart, and noticed a small film, slightly oily on a few areas that seemed to be the culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pardalis
Out of the box and for the first week, my new Panny 42" plasma had a funny chemical/electrical smell that eventually went away (or I got so used to it, I don't notice it any more). Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it was?


thanks
Apparently, now that the cat is out of the bag, industry insiders, on the condition of anonymity, are admitting to the plasma industry's "Smelly Little Secret". It seems that they've been aware of the problem for some time but in an effort to maintain high margins by avoiding huge extermination costs and bad publicity they have colluded to defraud the buying public.

Seeing that the jig was up, Shingto Konichiwa, AKA Mothra, a high ranking executive from Sampo, a manufacturer of high quality plasma displays, today said that what first started as an occasional field mouse sneaking into a display has exponentially blossomed into a huge industry wide problem of near plague proportions. "When it started we thought that the occasional rodent would not be noticed and we could pass it off as an aberration". "I mean, who ever opens their back panel to check?", said an obviously shaken Konichiwa. Other industry officials are weighing their options but it is believed that they, too, will be issuing statements shortly.


Well, I don't know about you folks but I smell a rat and think this situation stinks. It may well be that a class action suit is in order. How long will these vermin be able to get away with these practices? If any of you has discovered any kind of small animal decaying inside of your plasma please contact me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Moebius
But see, other peoples' noses may not be the same as yours. I think we'd deifnately have to have a smell off? Of course, if this turns into a flame war, do nose hairs get singed?
I can just see it now. In about a month's time, when a newbie utilizes the search function to check out various models, he (or she) will stumble upon this thread and wonder. ???????

Imagine it. Legions of prospective plasma owners marching into BB and CC sticking their noses into the screens. Maybe the sales people will pick up on it and start drawing shoppers' attention to the aroma of the displays as a selling point. "This is one sweet plasma!" It wouldn't surprise me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
New from Glade. Don't just settle for a High Definition picture of a spring meadow, make it even more real with our Plasma Scents collection. Available in Spring Meadow, Ocean Brease, Morning Mist, and our newest scents, Hotdog, Peanuts, Pinetar, and Locker Room (for those ESPN HD subscribers).


- edit -

The possiblities are endless, but I quit while I was ahead.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top