AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might not be exactly a funny story but...

I have build many, many PCs in my time. I average about 2 a year. I have 5 kids and lots of PCs.

I have always done it the same way. I build component by component. I figure out what components I am going to use and then go to priceline.com and buy the component from the cheapest place I can find it. Ok in the old days I went and bought a Computer Shopper but in the last 4 years or so I have used Pricelline.com.

In the past I would order everything in a two day period and then about a week or so later I would build the system. Since I am now so busy I tend to buy the components over a month or so period. I know this is pretty pathetic but I don't have much time.

I decided to build a HTPC with the following components

Toshiba black 1402 DVD

SB Live audio

ATI LE with TV out

Antec SX-1030b

Use extra 60gig HD I already have from another project never completed

No CPU/MB/Memory because I had not decided which yet.

Ok, the funny part.

DVD player arives completely damaged. Damaged in such a way that it did not happen in shipping. Tooks days to reach company. Finally sent back. Still waiting for replacement. Visa charged for 1 month.

Get call from a very upset man in California. Apparently my SB Live card was sent to him accidently. He thinks I have his package. I don't. After over 10 contacts via phone and email I finally get acknowledgement from the company I purchased from. The only way they answer email is because I threaten to trash their name. They want me to work directly with the guy who was sent my SB Live card and have him send to me. I tell them to go to He**. Finally they send me a new card, after 5 weeks!

Antec case is on indefinete backorder. Don't know when or if ever the case will come in. Company has been impossible to reach. They have charged my visa.

None of the above issues bother me too much. All of them are explained accidents. Terrible customer service but explained. This next one really pisses me off.

I purchased an ATI Radeon LE with TV/out from UnitedMicro.com. The web site said it was in stock. They send me email receipt that I bought an ATI Radeon LE with TV/out. After not getting anything for a week I try to contact them many, many, many times. They never answer any of them. Finally yesterday I get a ATI Radeon VE from UPS. Not VE with TV/Out but a Radeon VE. It takes 3 1/2 weeks to come and it is the wrong card! I don't think this is an accident.

I have built over 15 PCs in the last 10 years and can't even remember one problem. To have a problem with every single component. Has the Computer mailorder business just gone in the toliet.

Love to hear reactions.

-Jym-

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
sounds like that pc is destined not to be built. only suggestion i have is the obvious one - not to do business with those vendors. ive been pretty happy on price, delivery and service with both atacom and newegg either one you might consider on the remaining components. i'm pretty wary of some the vendors on pricewatch many of which have pretty poor ratings.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jym:

___I cannot give you any information on the first company because you did not mention there names but the second (United Micro) has a pretty poor track record w/ a reseller rating of just 2.9/7.0. If I were you, I would add to the user comments as well … Here is a link to United Micro’s ratings as well as comments for your review.

___Moral of the story, always try to purchase from internet vendors w/ a 5.0 or above rating and you should not have to much trouble ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Recently I ordered a server chassis online. The web site said it's in stock. great. A day later I get a call. It will take 2-3 weeks before they'll have it to ship to me and is that ok? I mention that it was shown as in stock at the web site. They said it's in stock at the vendor. I ask why it will take 2-3 weeks and the answer was because it was a special order and they had to build it.:confused:

I cancelled the order. At least they called.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
As a whole I tend to not use any of the vendors on PriceWatch.com

It is a good tool to gauge how low the price can go though.

If you look at reseller ratings for those guys, complaints abound. I would rather pay a few bucks more from some of the discounters that I have had good experiences with and save the hours of frustration and pain.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I ran into the same problem only with the video card though. I wanted a Radeon VE with DVI and an included DVI adaptor. (so I could upgrade later) First one I got wasn't even a VE made by ATI. It was some generic version with the second monitor being a tv/out. The card had a tiny memory heatsink covering the Radeon chip. I emailed complaining that this isn't what they advertised on their site and on pricewatch. Never heard back. So I ordered from a different company. Paid alot more and they said I was getting a retail VE with DDR and the adaptor as well. I get the card, it is a VE with SDR no adaptor, no dvi just a second monitor connection via a seperate plate. I went back to their site and they changed the info to say whitebox and removed all traces of dvi etc. I ended up keeping that anyway and will send the other back. I'll probably eat the horrendous shipping.

Everything else came just fine though including the KS780 case from Directron. I definately lucked out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.