AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went to the local big furniture story yesterday to decide between 090's and 099's (we'll be ordering from ************** btw). They have a "home theater" department where they sell televisions and HTIB's.

I was sitting in an 090 when I overheard a conversation between the tv salesman and a customer:

Customer: "So what is I always here about scanning, something, or another....progressive scan?, what is that?"

Sales Guy: "Ok, progressive scan is, now it only applies to DVD players, so you can have a tv that says its progressive scan, but if you don't have the dvd player, you won't have anything, but in progressive scan DVD players the disc spins faster so you get a better picture, you see?". So if you don't have a progressive dvd player, you don't want a tv that can handle it. But if you do have a DIGITAL tv, you'll want to have a progressive scan dvd player. It's like having a corvette and not putting premium gasoline it."

I was clenching my wife's leg trying to keep from laughing out loud. I almost approached him just for fun to ask him some questions, but just left.

Oh Boy

Patrick

·
Registered
799 Posts
"...the disc spins faster so you get a better picture..."

I love it. Classic example of how we form our opinions of the world around us: based on stuff other people just make up as they go.

The big chain stores here are all located out south. I don't go out there very often. But when I must, we hit some of the A/V retailers just to snoop out what's selling, what the sales guys are spouting, and to help out a few confused customers.

Ease dropping at the big three is a lot like being bored in the summer and going down to the boat launch to watch the antics of creative backing, the guys that think screaming at the family helps get the boat in the water, and of course those that forget the plug.

Hmmm, this might make a good thread.

We hit the stores with a particular question, "What is progressive scan?" and then come back here and post the answers we are given.

I suppose we should use first names only and omit the store names, eh?

Great Purchase and Electrical Town, here we come, jdb

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have fun with these FUBARed sales guys...

I go ask questions ans say I heard - then tell the real reason or specs etc... kind of entertaining..

Once and a while i actually go correct them, while they are conversing with another customer, just to be a smart a-s-s :D

Its also entertaining to go find some one thats looking at a 3k tv and hold a conversation with my wife, that they can over hear, that goes somthing like this:

Gosh all these TV's look like crap, the image is (then begin to nit pick the images etc), and them say and my set up cost half of this and is twice the image size etc.. Some tmes they get rid of the sales guy and start talking to me instead, other times they just go on with there conversation...

I actually had one sales guy speak up and say "in these conditions the image looks worse than it will look in your home"

Once I was asked to leave a Best Buy store, after i started alking to a customer and gave him some advise on computer products and told him to look online at a few places to get a better price. The customer was very thankful he spoke with me, and was kind of ticked when the Best Buy manager asked me to leave in front of him.. I bet he shops there never again.

I just cant stand the sales guy that knows nothing about what they sell, this is rampent at the big chains and I make it a point to make this knowen... Dont get me wrong, The guys who know there stuff, are OK in my book, I just target the ones that give out BS.

I actually will refuse to buy somthing if the sales guy start to let the **** flow... I have actually had stuff in my hands and put it pack on the shelf when the sales guy came over and started babling about stuff he didn't know about.

I would have had a blast with that guy and progressive scan... :D

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
"...the disc spins faster so you get a better picture..."

You mean that is not what that means?

I have a friend that sells HT stuff. He said he's learned that most people that come into his store already know all the specs about what they came to see so he doesn't bother spouting anything unless they specifically ask.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Quote:
progressive scan DVD players the disc spins faster
What a boat load of B.S.!!

Everybody knows that they spin at half speed so that the laser has more time to read data from the grooves!!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ebacherville

Once I was asked to leave a Best Buy store, after i started alking to a customer and gave him some advise on computer products and told him to look online at a few places to get a better price. The customer was very thankful he spoke with me, and was kind of ticked when the Best Buy manager asked me to leave in front of him.. I bet he shops there never again.
In this case, IMHO, you were in the wrong. If I ran a business, I wouldn't want people to come into my store and steer customers away. I know it's easy to do considering the ineptitude and price gouging at some of the bigger chains, but in the store is not the place to educate. It's the same as if you posted a classified and people started posting to your ad saying that you were charging too much or your product was crap. That's a no-no.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My son-in-law was looking for a HDTV and asked me to go with him since I already have.

We were at Sears and after he would ask the sales person a question, he would look at me to see if I agreed with the answer. Usually I had to interpret the response or make a slight correction. After about the fifth question, the sales person looked at me and asked "Would you like a job here?".

Don

·
Registered
156 Posts
Robert, I agree and I disagree. I've seen scammers on E-Bay and have steered as many hapless victims away as possible. I've beared witness to people planning to buy a widgit for 2-3 times market value and interject it may be helpful if they first shop the internet for a basis. Finally, I've helped out the clueless sales people from time to time when they spout unintelligable answers to questions they should know and have had to correct them from time to time. However, more than half the time I shake my head and walk away. Life is too short trying to educate everyone.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Here's my report on, "What is Progressive Scan?".

No wonderful explanations here, nothing funny, and probably not worth posting in that regard, but I said I would.

Girlfriend and I dressed affluently, and set out.

"Excellent Purchase": The store was packed. Shoppers were buying and the sales guys were eating it up. Over all, everyone seemed happy until they had to stand in the amazingly long line to pay for their stuff. We stood in front of the nicest DVD player of the lot and waited: Pot Luck style, on who would help us.

Salesman: Q****.

Q: (Eager fast smile) "Can I help you folks?".

"We are not going to buy anything tonight, but can you tell me what Progressive Scan is?".

Q: (looking around the isle at other potential customers) "It's for your TV. It gives you more lines on your TV."

"And That's better?".

Q: (more looking around the isle) "Yes.".

"OK...well, what model do you like?"

Q: "That's a good player there." and points at the model we were standing in front of.

I thanked him, said we had to talk among ourselves, and he swooped off to help the next customer. We ambled around a bit and then left.

"Utmost Separates": Free coffee at the front door. Not too many shoppers. We stand in front of the lowest end player this time and waited: again, Pot Luck style on who would help us.

Salesman: J****.

J: (poker face) "Do you need some help?".

"Hi, we are not going to buy anything tonight, but could you explain Progressive scan to me?".

J: (Looks left and upward) "It's a processing format. It takes all the bits 123456...and paints the screen. With interlace, the format takes the odd bits 13579...and paints the screen, then it takes the even bits 2468...and paints the screen. Progressive scan interlaces the signal all at one time. Progressive scan is for HDTV. What kind of TV do you have?"

"I have a front screen projector.".

J: (Bemused with a nod of his head) "What kind?".

It's a ***** that will output a SVGA 600P signal at a resolution of 800x600 but that's only in 4:3 aspect ratio, with a RGB fed source. I would like to run wide screen at the projectors highest resolution, but that's only VGA at 800 x 450 with a RGB fed source, so I would need a transcoder, or something else, to convert the component signal of this player to RGB in at the projector. Is all this really worth the effort?".

J: (Jovial expression) "Your speaking Greek to me now, but I think you would benefit from a higher end model. The guy you need to talk with is the floor manager.".

Well, actually I was just curious about your take on what progressive scan is and although I still don't understand it, I do thank you for your time.".

J: (calmly) "That's no problem, you two look around the store and if you need anymore help Just let us know and we'll get you some help.".

I liked this guy and felt he was genuinely concerned for our interests.

Back out in the parking lot, my heart sank. In my excitement I had left the lights on and the car battery went dead. After finally getting a jump we decided to just head back home instead of hitting the last store on the list: which was the one I was most looking forward to.

notes:

In fairness to the salesman, who's trying to make a living, one has to be considerate of their time and understand that few will be intimately familiar with the fine print of every model they have on display.

The feverish Christmas shopping season is probably not the best time to ask for detailed explanations. Particularly if your not going to purchase anything.

Much BS was overheard in the "Big Screen" HDTV area at one location, as to why all the screen had a different contrast, colour, or "squishy" look. This was followed up with a wonderful explanation of "the normal picture will always be better with HDTV which is this TV right here.".

The store names here have been altered to protect the forum from any unhappiness. The conversations were recorded on mini-cassette for my later reference purpose's only.

I think helping a fellow customer understand an issue is fine, so long as the subject of price, and where he might find the unit "cheaper", is completely left out of the conversation. Boy, did I see a bunch of confused shoppers. I "helped" two people.

I have high hopes for a quality follow up to this post after visiting the third store. Sorry for the length of this, jdb

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Otto
Robert, I agree and I disagree. I've seen scammers on E-Bay and have steered as many hapless victims away as possible. I've beared witness to people planning to buy a widgit for 2-3 times market value and interject it may be helpful if they first shop the internet for a basis. Finally, I've helped out the clueless sales people from time to time when they spout unintelligable answers to questions they should know and have had to correct them from time to time. However, more than half the time I shake my head and walk away. Life is too short trying to educate everyone.
After re-reading my post, I probably wasn't entirely clear on my position....I don't disagree at all with educating a shopper on technology, and what features are good and bad, and which models may or may not meet their needs, what's hype and what's the truth...Where I would draw the line, as jdb points out, is I don't think it is okay to discuss where a shopper would find a better price. If I were a store manager and overheard a patron telling another shopper that they should check XYZ store or the internet for a better price, I would ask them to leave as well. As tempting as it is, I feel that it's wrong.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdb
"...Ease dropping at the big three is a lot like being bored in the summer and going down to the boat launch to watch the antics of creative backing, the guys that think screaming at the family helps get the boat in the water, and of course those that forget the plug.
my favorite pass time. My all time favorite is the guy who forgot to put his parking brake on, climbs inside the boat to remove the belt of the trailer and his Toyota pickup truck pops a gear and the boat pulls the vehicle into the water. :D

Or how about the guy who drive his car way down the ramp into the algae and then cant pull the boat out and the tide is coming in fast. :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
...my favorite pass time...
We have sat out in the cove a few times watching the antics instead of running straight out to our fishing spots.

One day we pulled up to see a boat laying on it's side in the middle of the ramp. The guy has undid the stern ties, motor bar, and hull hasp, up top side before backing down his new boat. The trailer was roller skids, he tapped the brake, and the boat slid off and scraped down the dry ramp. Very ugly. Had to wait for the tow truck to remove it before launching. Sucked.

I know two other people that have seen the same roller skid event. Here's hoping we actually see it next time. jdb

To date I have yet to get my feet wet, needed to use my oar, get stuck, or forget the plug. Touch wood. We did drop the car keys in the lake one time though, boy did that suck.

Got a 17' Nitro 170 DC, RC edition, 115 rude, 55 mph gpsIII: what you got?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I left the plug out once. Luckily caught it before it was all the way off the trailer.

A friend of mine had a speed boat that they used to fly down the river in. I guarantee we used to go about 120 mph down the winding river. Used to scare the hell out of me. Anyway, one day they were unloading it from the trailer at the river. Three of them were in the boat and hadn't vented the engine compartment yet. They started up the engine and the whole back of the boat blew up cause of the fumes from a tiny gas leak. Threw all three guys into the river. All they could do was leave it on the trailer and try to put it out. Let's just say that boat was done for.

I used to have an 21' Invader, 4.5 L Merc, 55 mph, O'Brian skis.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yeah, someone blows the stern off their boat, you could say that.

I have some trick stuff on the back, but at 55 mph the only thing in the water is the prop. 56 mph? No thank you.

Still haven't hit that last store, but due to previous events in that store, I have to go incognito. (photo left) Don't guess anyone remembers that, eh?

But back to the off topic subject of chairs, this is also the store where I had my seat affair. Two years is enough time for them to forget, right?

They have suitable matching chairs, (photo bottom)I need two more, but at $2900+, I am shopping on line for them. jdb

if ever there was a need to edit ones post.

http://www.ultimatechair.com/HW400new-MI.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
You don't mean the episode about cables do you? Or was it something else... It did involve a lot of screaming and yelling from a lady did it not? ;) See we don't always forget everything...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C Schelp
...we don't always forget everything...
This is clearly a case of "Before your time" unless you've been lurking for 2 years.

I can't post the link. I have my stores mixed up and doing so would divuldge the wrong named store. But, heres the synopsis:

07-10-2000

"...But what caught my eye was a loveseat.... as he strode away...

I siezed the moment and plopped myself down. It was true love.

Several hours later, security came to drag me away. I clung to the cushions as best I could...but was out numbered four-to-one. I managed to gain another 20 minutes of gazing at my new love from out on the sidewalk...before local police showed up.

Who makes these slim-lined, sleek, little beauties?"

07-11-2000

The Groucho glasses and nose didn't work. They spotted me right off. One heck of a footrace though. Later, I made a phone call to them. I made many inquires about high end gear and slipped in a comment about their seating.

Bingo! Blinded by dollar signs; I foxed it out of them.

Scott Rice Desigsns!

07-11-2000

BobF: It's up to you...dont use your real name. I used it earlier. Try Bob G... codeword is "The skinny man walks backwards". I'll keep trying...

07-28-2000

Brett: Sorry for the delay, but I have just now been released.

I used your codeword and was instantly wisked away to a undisclosed location, under heavy gaurd, where I was unmercifully questioned, by three teams, around the clock, for 12 days.

Note: I spilled my guts in the first 20 minutes.

Suggest that codeword not be used in the future.

http://www.jackcartwright.com/images...071655_Joe.jpg

My Beloved, jdb

·
Registered
83 Posts
My mistake. Yes I have been lurking for >2 years but I must confess that I don't quite remember that thread. I was thinking of a thread since your more recent return to the forum after your absence that seemed to last forever. (I get many a laugh and and much cheering up from some of your posts.) You must know the one. You were at the store to look at projectors I believe.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread. I only wanted to let jbd know that I had to look up "adumbrative". Jeez, you crack me up! :D

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey, jdb, I remember the chair series! Hilarious!

·
Registered
171 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.