AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got back from our honeymoon, and we've put away all the money from wedding presents. Now the wife wants to finally furnish our living room (up until now we've had hand-me-down stuff because we mostly watch tv in our bedroom). Well, if she's getting new furniture I get to buy a new tv. She wants a new tv in there anyway though. So the room is 14.5' x 27' with a vaulted ceiling that goes up to 22' in the middle. It's light beige with white trim and a lot of windows. Also, the carpet is like an off-white. So basically it's a very light room. We won't be watching many movies in there for lack of darkness, but she does want to get a Wii for the living room. We can't use the Wii in our bedroom because there's not enough room in front of the tv. Can anyone offer up some suggestions? Most of the use will be satellite tv service (in HD) and the Wii. I'm thinking because I can't get the room dark at all and we won't be watching movies in there that a plasma would be pointless, but they are still cheaper than LCD's. My main priority is size. This room is huge so I want a big tv, but I don't care if it's 720 or 1080. The viewing distance will be far enough away that I don't think it will matter.

What do you guys think...should I still go plasma just because they are cheaper in the larger sizes, and there's still a bit of a price jump for 1080?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the cheapest big screen at the moment is a LG 60" PS60 or PS11 you can have them at crazy prices ... Very easily you can get them at less than 2k. If it is a bright room then an LCD with a matted screen would probably make a better choice but big + LCD does not equal cheap.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump

·
Registered
362 Posts
Come on, you have a pretty typical room, there is nothing there that would preclude using a plasma. I have a very similar room and my plasma is fine, day or night. I'm not a fan of LG, but if you are not too picky it may be fine for you. I'd go Panny, Sammy and then LG.

The plasma is a much better alternative if you are going to use a Wii, the motion is much better, and the screen is a little tougher in case of a tossed controller, though one of the plastic protection screens might be appropriate if you get very into gaming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.