AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Now you're talking.....$200 sure beats $500 for a leather recliner

I'm going to print this out and go too....Looks like the only color is beige, tho. If these were in Black, we'd have a surefire winner.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They are available in black as well - look closely in the page or click around a bit.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Laarson
They are available in black as well - look closely in the page or click around a bit.
You're right:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A91790%3A96087

Man, the weight of these are 100lbs...That's pretty hefty. Shipping is $56 bucks to my local. I wonder if you can pick these up locally.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Well they only gotta be comfortable for up to two hours per sitting, anyone been local for an audition?

Two position? Wonder if that is like binary seating ie. upright (no foot rest) or fully reclined?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Brucer,

If you go to the link I provided for the black recliner, they have a link for alternate view. The alternate view shows it reclined about 45 degrees...Perfect for an HT application. I'm leaving now to see if my local Walmart carries them.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks Robert

Sorry I didn't catch the 'alternate view' first time around. I especially like the full leg support, look of it.

Let us know.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Just got back from my local Walmart....Here's the skinny.

Walked in and went straight to the furniture department. I immediately came across the Beige one in a box. The box is about 32" cubed, and has I think 46Kgs stamped on the side. The chairs are manufactured in China, but I expected that. I looked around a few other aisles, and there it was. The BLACK one, fully assembled and up on the second tier. $199.97 price tag dangling from it.

I got the guy who happened to already be working in the aisle to take it down for me.

My Take:

Nice Black. It's a bit low profile, but it fit me fine (I'm 6'2"), and supported just at the base of my head. The head pillow is sufficiently large and comfortable. The cushion bulges up and is fairly stiff, not exactly the plush sinking leather you find in high end chairs. But, for someone with a bad back, it would probably offer better support. The arm rests are large and plush.

The recline. As pictured, it has a full support foot rest with no gaps, which is nice. The foot rest doesn't recline to 180 deg (assuming 90 deg is retracted position), but more like 150 deg. That would be good for 2nd course seating. As described, it is a two position recline. You are either upright, or you recline. When you pull back the recline lever, the footrest comes up, but the back does nothing. It does release a catch in the back so that with minimum effort, you can push back to the recline postion.

In the recline position, the back goes too far back as is for movie viewing, IMO. You would have your chin in your chest to look forward. BUT, I flipped the chair over to look at the reclining mechanism. It appears to be a standard scissor design, so I'm sure without much effort, a stop block could be installed to set the recline stop anywhere you wanted. There may even be that option during assembly as there appeared to be some adjustment holes not used. Theres no tensioner or spring such that you can push the chair back to some midway point. I tried pushing back slightly to some midpoint, but with any pressure on the back, it goes all the way.

The leather itself is not fine sheepskin. It's a lower grade, like a thick vinyl. It's not glossy, but flat as would be expected with leather vs vinyl.

I asked the sales guy to check inventory, and they had 2 of the black ones, with 4 on order. They will be a common item, at least for the month of June. They are a new item, and they are trialing them to see how well they sell. He said all the Walmarts in my area of the state are carrying them. They will order as many as you want.

Bottom line: For me, I would much prefer these over theater seats, but would put them somewhere under the Berklines. There's no cup holder (of course), and general impression is that it's a mid grade recliner. Not a lazy-boy or Berkliner, but you're not paying for one either. These are a definite consideration for my theater. I can buy 8 of these for the price of 3 Berkliners.

I look forward to hear other's impressions. I think I'll take my wife back to get her opinion later.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
thanks Robert-

My closest store is currently sold out, but further away stores have them.

Did you get the feel that 2 hours would be OK, given that they were modded for correct level of recline?

The simpler the mechanism the more servicable.

I will run out to take a look.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Brucer,

I sat in one all of a couple minutes, but yes, I think 2 hours would be okay, no problem. I can sit in a movie theater seat for 2 hours, and these were definitely more comfortable.

As for the mechanism, it looked pretty simple. I flipped it over and took a quick glance, and it didn't look too complicated at all. I'm an electrical engineer by trade, not mechanical, but I think even I could come up with something to prevent a full recline.

It's definitely worth a look see if you have some stores within a half hour's drive.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just got back from Wal-mart also. I will not restate what Robert noted, he is right on. I am 6'3" and they are a little low for me and the Reclining mechanism is low quality. However, I am going to take my wife to look at them, she is 5'5" so I will value her opinion.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My wife saw the Wal-Mart ad this weekend and went "uh-oh." She saw these and hoped they were really uncomfortable :) as I have been eyeing some Lane recliners for my theater... guess I will have to go take a looksie...

Sean

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ok - I just got back from two 'Supercenters' assembled a beige one and look at a black one. I agree with Robert on the recline function. I'm 5'8" 175lb. In the upright position they are quite reasonably comfortable. I looked at the mechanisms to see what could be done in the footrest up position. My first instinct was to notch the existing 'tab stop' for the back rest, but I think that will allow for too upright of a position in the closed position.

The one we assembled already had a broken off locking tab on one side backrest mount. Not a big deal to run a lag screw in there to lock it on.

The black ones are a more consistent color match from leather seat cushions to the sides and back. The Beige one was quite noticably mis-matched. The leather looked nice but the beige vynal was almost pinkish and the footrest handle was nearly magenta colored. T

They measured 38" wide x 40" deep (closed) x 40" h. Plenty of seat room for my small butt and two pomeranians. Arm rests bolt-on - so I thing drink holders could be easily adapted.

If you got the room for 38" wide seats and don't neccesarily need the recline / footrest I think they would be great for the $$$.

Just got to figure a way to fix that back-rest position with feet up. BTW, in the full recline position, the footrest nearly comes all the way horizontal (Hmmm, plasma on the ceiling, there I go)

Bruce

PS. Still thinking of a mod.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer

Just got to figure a way to fix that back-rest position with feet up. BTW, in the full recline position, the footrest nearly comes all the way horizontal (Hmmm, plasma on the ceiling, there I go)
Footrest, or Headrest....The one I tried, the footrest only went about half way, while the Headrest went the full horizontal.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
For a $199 bucks, I might buy one and start modifying....Fix the recline and add cup holders. Whose with me? :) This could be the start of a Parkland Plastics or Ken Theater Seats type thread ;)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Robert -

I sat in two different ones at two stores, on both the footrest initially went to about 45 degrees, then when you push the back rest to the fully reclined position (nearly horizontal) the footrest scootched up to nearly horizontal. (+/- 10 degrees).

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The backrest position is against a stop in both the closed and the initial footrest up position. But what happens is the seat is on a paralellagram mechanism that causes the seat to scootch back and tilt down a little (actually both are tilting) thereby creating a little too much tilt in the backrest.

It may take modifying the short metal brackets in that part of the mechanism along with some stiffer springs, for the backrest tilt positioning.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The manager I spoke with was not sure they would be any more than a limited test market thing. Seems these stores are generally getting them in at 2 x 2 (black & beige).

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If anyone goes (back) to look at them, place the recline lever up, and then take a peek from the back corner underneath the velcro flap of vynal . You will see the stop with a rubber bumber cover over it (approx 1" w x 1" l flat steel). Se what you think.

Otherwise look under the front footrest to view the rest of the mechanism)

Bruce

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.