AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just about to order my hat channel from an Australian supplier but they have only our equivalent of 26 guage. I remember reading somewhere about the correct material to order (either 20 or 25 gauge) but I cannot recall which was preferred for best performance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
25 gauge. 20 gauge is too heavy. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20785735

Are you just using channel or clips and channel?

Hi Big,

Using channel, GG Whisper clips, GG, two layers of 16mm Soundboard (close to 5/8" as we have over here), acoustic caulk and sound putty. Have 2 x DTS-10's that I want to contain as much as possible.

Thanks for your help. Thanks also Benji.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Not surprisingly, Big is more thorough than me.
I think that as long as you're using the whisperclips, 25 gauge is the way to go. I used the same combination and am trying to close in a DTS-10 as well!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I really didn't want to order 500 bucks worth of the wrong stuff!

Problem solved.

Greg

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
Dingy, Ted has some very specific guidelines on the size of the hat channel for whisper clips:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...t_sound_clips/

Also FYI I just picked up 240 ft of the 25 gauge channel today for $62.16 US or $3.11 per 12 ft stick. That is with my "contractors discount"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

Dingy, Ted has some very specific guidelines on the size of the hat channel for whisper clips:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...t_sound_clips/

Also FYI I just picked up 240 ft of the 25 gauge channel today for $62.16 US or $3.11 per 12 ft stick. That is with my "contractors discount"

G'day Big, I know us Aussies must seem like whinging whining buggers but things here are just so expensive. Take the channel. It works out about 3 to 4 bucks per foot here which is crazy compared to how you guys go. 5/8 drywall for a 8x4 foot is about 28 bucks. 12 awg speaker wire about 3 to 5 bucks per 3 feet length off the roll. I imported all my fabric track. Cost of the local product was crazy and sourcing from Larry in the US was much better, even with the 800 odd dollar shipping cost. We battle on coz were Aussies. That's just how we roll!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Note the channel specs that Big posted. Australian clips and channels are different. A US clip won't fit an Aussie channel

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/0

Note the channel specs that Big posted. Australian clips and channels are different. A US clip won't fit an Aussie channel

Hi Ted,

Thanks for chiming in on this one. I have included pics of the channel that I can find here in Sydney. It would be impossible to ship the correct channel from the US so I am hoping that this would be suitable. Dimensions are in mm but by my conversions they look fairly similar. Look forward to your advice. Greg

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
It's a bit wider than we'd like. 2 9/16" is the top of the range we spec. Having said that, people have been cramming 2 3/4" into clips for forever.

Reactions: Reverberation

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ted. I really appreciate your feedback. I will try to hunt around in the next week or so to find the correct channel but I think this may be the best I can find here. As long as it's safe and the ceiling won't fall on my head it should be ok. I am hoping that the other isolation measures will compensate for any channel deficiencies. Thanks again. Greg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts