AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need expert advise
. Two quick questions.

(1) I have finished the DD/GG to Hat channel and clips to studs phase. Ready to attach 1" furring around doors, under trim to give a 1" gap for linacoustic, batting, fabric on walls and soffits. I plan to rip 2x4 per Big's suggestion for the furring. I plan to attach to furring to DD with construction adhesive and angle pneumatic 2" trim nails every 6-12 ". For fabricmate planned on stapling with 7/8" staples on angle every 3-4" without adhesive. Do you think this will hold on horizontal surfaces such as under the soffits? Is glue overkill? I had planned to use drywall screws only to attach furring to DD, but it strips out the drywall when trying to bury the head of the screw. I am attaching to DD only with no wood backing.

(2) I am thinking about skipping fabricmate due to the cost. Prestapleing the fabric to the furring then attaching it to the wall seems difficult. If I do this method I need to omit construction adhesive do to the mess. Anyone use wall anchors to hold furring to DD with drywall screws for extra strength? Any preferred technique? Thanks for any advise, Marty

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's essentially exactly whay I did many moons ago. The construction adhesive is also good to reduce the risk of the furring slapping against drywall should some resonance occur.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,164 Posts
On the attaching fabric to the furring first, that is usually used only on one edge and drywall screws through a pre-drilled furring strip works just fine. In my basement the furring is attached to DW only with adhesive and construction staples (or screws). The secret to hiding staples in inside and outside corners is to use the attach and screw method. If you plan on covering every edge with molding you can skip the method.

Wall anchors are pretty much a total waste of time and $.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts