AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When attaching furring strips to the drywall as a necessary first step to installing TS+/Insulshield to the walls, are they normally just screwed for ease of removal at a later date, or screwed and glued? Also, when attaching small pieces of strips around outlets, etc... do you have to frame around the box completely before drywall so the small strips can be attached through to the framing, or in this situation is it OK to just screw to the drywall?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Good Question...I would like to know this too.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
The strips should be screwed and glued. If you have a vertical strip in a location that cannot be screwed into the framing, then you should use a couple of toggle or drywall expansion screws. Around electrical items, drywall screws and glue should work fine...there's not alot of force applied in these areas.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dennis...

I have another question concerning firring strips, insulshield and GOM.

For most of the installation, firring strips are applied horizontally around the wall, insul below, batting above, and fabric stapled over top. How do you do this on the front screen wall where the entire wall is Insul and GOM. You can't run horiz firring strips. Is the top strip and bottom strip enough to stretch and staple the GOM over the entire wall?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In most cases, it looks like people HAVE applied a strip horizontally about 1/2 way up on the front wall. I'm going to. I'll just use a very thin piece of trim painted black to match the GOM fabric (all my trim in that room will be black, actually). I don't know how you get away from this unless you use vertical pieces in which case you'd have a bunch of vertical strips on your front wall...

-Chris

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've attached a couple of pictures that show what I did. The first shows the firring strips that were made with 1" plywood:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sylaw1984...c=ph%26.view=t

Next, the fabric put over the the Theatershield:

Third, the final result with the sconce on:

For the front screen wall, I didn't use any firring; I just attached the Theater shield directly to the wallboard, since it is hidden.

Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
Chris,

lNice looking pics. Do you have a link to your site. I am in the planning(I mean idea stealing) phase. I liked the colors that you used. dimentions would help.

Thanks

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Chris,

Great pics! I too would be interested in seeing more...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I had pictures posted on PhotoPoint before it went out of business. I have posted some pics, like the ones above, on the Yahoo site. I keep planning on setting up a site showing the construction of the theatre, but haven't done it.

The colors of the fabric are not quite accurate in the picture. The darker color is more of a forest green, and the lighter color is a blue-green. The wood is a cherry color.

Cardguy, I used 1" plywood strips because the TheaterShield is 1" thick and I didn't want the insulation bulging out over the firring. As you know, most other wood that has a nominal 1" thickness is not really one inch thick. One inch plywood, however, is actually one inch thick.

Chris

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Did you have to rip all your plywood strips, or can you buy them like a 1x3"?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Chris - Great pics

I suppose one could use 3/4" + 1/4" plywood with a little more effort.

ADDED: (ie. glue them up before cutting, one could probably use scraps/drops from other areas.)

Quick question - I couldn't tell from the pics - does the fabric extend all the way up to the ceiling? I understand you used the furring strips to attach the crown mold to. But I can't tell if the lighted area behind and above is paint or fabric.

Bruce

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bruce, the fabric does not run all the way to the ceiling exept on the front wall. The small area between the crown molding and the ceiling (which the light reflects on) is painted the same color as the ceiling.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.