AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, to make this as easy as possible I toke a pic

[/url]

The outside tape is the size of the TV, the little strips of tape on the inside are the studs. The studs don't line up with where I want to place the TV. Thinking about getting 1x2 oak boards and using them like furring strips. I'd put two strips up into 3 studs with lag bolts then using lag bolts attach the mount to the oak planks. Think this will hold up a 72.8 pound plasma?

·
Registered
570 Posts
check out the mounting options from Monoprice.com. They are basically 2 pieces, rails that screw to the studs and a mounting plate attached to the TV that slides left and right on the rails to your desired position. Easy to install and configure.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I hung a smaller TV with the same issue. I did not fine a mount with enough side to side range to be able to mount the brackets on the studs. Since my TV was only 32" and under 50lb I used wall anchors in the Rock lath where there was no stud.

Your idea will work but get your mount first since you won't know exactly how high to mount your cross members. Since you will be effectively moving your set 3/4" away from the wall, get the lowest profile mount you can assuming you want the TV up against the wall. Mono price mounts are excellent, I ended up buying 3 (all less than $12 each) to be able to choose the one best for my situation.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@airscapes Thanks, I do have a low profile mount. I'll head over to lowes after work. Just wanted to make sure it would take the weight.

Bonus question: Am I mounting the TV to low? From my measurements the TV will end up 21 inchs from the floor. I'm planing to only have the center speaker bellow it on a stand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.