AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Projecting from further back increases screendoor effect, right? I have a choice between moving my projector back behind the viewing area (thus increasing screendoor potential slightly) or moving it up next to the couch (which will be noisy for whoever is sitting on that side). I can't ceiling-mount the projector, so it has to sit on a cart.

Would you move your projector out of guest range and suffer a little more screendoor, or push it forward for better resolution and live with the extra noise?

It's an SVGA projecting over an 11-foot distance.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
here's the thing about screendoor, viewing from less than 1.5 X screen width increases it...

not sure about projector placement, i think the determining factor is where you view the image from...

someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Screen Door effect is due to resolution/projection type versus distance of seating position from a particular screen size.

So, if placing the projector behind you results in in a bigger screen size, then you will see more Screen Door effect. If the projector has a zoom feature you may be able to compensate for the screen size differences.

Typically you want so sit at least 1.5 times the screen width from the screen. That means if the screen width is 3 meters, you want to sit at least 4.5 meters away.

To answer your question.... It really depends on which projector you have, how noisy it is, and how bad the Screen Door effect is.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Screendoor will not significantly change with throw distance, as long as the image size is kept identical by zooming it in/out. Of course, screendoor will be more visible from the same seating position when the projected image (screen size) is larger.

With regard to the fan noise versus screendoor (i.e., screen size) issue, only you can decide on the trade-off. In my personal opinion, there is no "hard" rules on the proper screen size. Go as you prefer. Just keep in mind that the larger the screen size: (1) the more visible the screendoor and other artifacts will be; (2) the dimmer the projected image and thus the lesser the tolerance to ambient light; (3) the lesser the color saturation and contrast; but (4) the more psychological WOW factor you will enjoy.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Different projectors will have more or less of a screendoor effect than others. I have spent time with a Panasonic AE100 and the screendoor was enough to spoil the viewing experience at times, however, since I got my AE300, I can tell you that it is gone. I am projecting on a 106" Dalite HCCV and it looks wonderful for all sources! Screendoor increases with projected image size. It is the pixel grid pattern of the LCD panels, so if you project a larger picture, the screendoon effect becomes larger as well. Nothing to do with throw distance, except for the fact that a longer distance means a bigger picture.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What is going on here? Such confusion.

There is NO difference in screen door if the image is kept the same size. How could there be?

If you make the screen larger, than obviously the screendoor will get worse. If you shrink it, it will get better.

But moving the projector farther back, but zooming to compensate for the screen size will result in identical screen door if the screen size is maintained.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry, it was just that such complicated answers were given.

Further away = screendoor?

Answer: If size same = no difference.

If size change = yes difference.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
Sorry, it was just that such complicated answers were given.

Further away = screendoor?

Answer: If size same = no difference.

If size change = yes difference.
LOL! Yes, I think that is the simplist way to put it!! :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
On a warm day, I like to be closer to the screendoor. On a cool day, I close the main door and it solves the screendoor issue.

:)

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.