AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the furthest OTA HD signal u ever picked up? What did u pick it up with? What Antenna, Tuner, Software etc.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
There will be reports of very long distances of one time reception of a station due to tropospheric ducting. Maybe a refinement of the question to eliminate transitory conditions would be "What is the most distant DTV station you can receive on a fairly regular basis?" I'll answer my own question.

Two stations at 80 miles 100%

Two stations at 90 miles 99%

One station at 125 miles 95%

One station at 133 miles 90%

These 6 stations are all on mountaintops between 3000' and 4000'. My pair of 91XGs are 2630' so these are mountaintop to mountaintop distances. My guess is that most people on the flatlands will have consistent reception of few stations beyond about 60 miles.

Chuck

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can get one station with it's sub channel (Jackson to Biloxi, MS) on cold nights at 75%, 148 miles away, with this antenna on a 5ft ladder.

HDTV Indoor/Outdoor Directional Antenna from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There will be reports of very long distances of one time reception of a station due to tropospheric ducting. Maybe a refinement of the question to eliminate transitory conditions would be "What is the most distant DTV station you can receive on a fairly regular basis?" I'll answer my own question.

Although those long distance's of one time receptions are very interesting, your refinement of my question is exactly what i was trying to ask.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The furthest station that I receive reliably with a Radio Shack 160" combination VHF/UHF antenna on the roof is WLOS in Asheville NC at 83 miles. This is an exceptional case because the transmitter is on top of a mountain at over 6000' which gives me a direct line of sight to it.

For transmitters that are more or less at my elevation, the furthest I can receive reliably are a couple from Columbia SC at 68 miles, and some from Charlotte NC at about 72 miles.

Beyond that are some stations that show up regularly but not daily, up to about 85 miles.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Here in Los Angeles the transmiters are on 5710' Mt Wilson. People in San Diego have reported reliable reception at 125 miles where the topograohy is good.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
For consistent, reliable DTV reception I would say conservatively about 70-75miles. Less for areas with pine trees, more for Mountain tops and/or higher terrain. My "locals" from Little Rock (Shinall antenna farm) are near the point where they become "deep fringe".

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Last summer I installed a simple UHF antenna setup for a friend of mine in a rural area southeast of Quincy, IL (pic attached). The antenna was purchased several years ago at Radio Shack (old model #) and the preamp is the CM 7777. Using the RCA ATSC11 set-top-box with this setup, about 90%of the time he can receive the main network affiliate stations from St. Louis, MO @ 99-107 miles. I could never do this consistently from my metro location in Indianapolis.

As a DTV DXer, and primarily using the RCA ATSC11 (STB), furthest catches from my Indy location:

Via E-skip - KOTA-DT-2, Rapid City, SD @ 922 miles (seen 4 times)

Via tropo - WIVB-DT-39, Buffalo, NY @ 432 miles

Screen shots of these and others, plus the UHF stack array and highband VHF antenna setup, included in a slideshow via the link below.

Steve

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL /forum/post/12948602

What's the furthest OTA HD signal u ever picked up? What did u pick it up with? What Antenna, Tuner, Software etc.

I have heard the visual carrier of several channel 1 signals on 48.24, 48.25, and 48.26. These stations are located in Europe, Africa, and South America. There is no channel 1 in the US. You can verify that they are TV signals when you hear the vertical rate hum on the carrier and also horizontal scan rate sidebands 15.625 khz above and below the carrier. The frequency offset of the sidebands indicates that they are 625 line PAL signals.

The antenna is a 7 element home-made yagi on a 24' boom at 115'. The receiver is a Kenwood TS-570. I do not have a TV set that will tune to channel 1.

The mode of propagation has been both multi-hop sporadic E and F2. Sporadic E occurs occasionally from late May through July. F2 occurs during the peak years of the sunspot cycle primarily around the winter solstice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I get HDTV stations 100 miles away any time of the day. Mind you, I have Lake Ontario between me and the transmitters so that doesn't hurt. They aren't line of sight though. I was discussing in another forum how much of a difference a good balun makes.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyjaguar /forum/post/12967018

I was discussing in another forum how much of a difference a good balun makes.

Could u pointout which forum & thread. thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can reliably pickup 6 Baltimore station at 75 miles from my attic using a DIY CM4221 and CM7777. The signal is strong enough to split to Vizio TV and record to an HP DEC Z558. I can sometimes watch 1 station at 82 miles (TV only). Took several months to find the perfect reception "hot spot" though.

** By all accounts, this setup should not work and stumbled upon it by messing around.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL /forum/post/13005478

MClever, what make is your digital tuner in your HP?

The card used for OTA ATSC HD is listed as "ATI DTV Wonder Digital Tuner" in the device manager and software id/utils. I neglected to write down the numbers from the card when I had it open. Even though I bought it NIB last month, it is a dated product (HP replaced it w/the Z560 approx 1.5 yrs ago).

Honestly, I wasn't expecting my antenna system to work w/the Z558. Oddly enough, I can record all the Baltimore stations. It's the PA stations I'm having pixelation problems ( PA stations are 50~60 miles, but I'm receiving through a taller denser part of the woods in that direction).

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich /forum/post/12962451

Last summer I installed a simple UHF antenna setup for a friend of mine in a rural area southeast of Quincy, IL (pic attached). The antenna was purchased several years ago at Radio Shack (old model #) and the preamp is the CM 7777. Using the RCA ATSC11 set-top-box with this setup, about 90%of the time he can receive the main network affiliate stations from St. Louis, MO @ 99-107 miles. I could never do this consistently from my metro location in Indianapolis.

As a DTV DXer, and primarily using the RCA ATSC11 (STB), furthest catches from my Indy location:

Via E-skip - KOTA-DT-2, Rapid City, SD @ 922 miles (seen 4 times)

Via tropo - WIVB-DT-39, Buffalo, NY @ 432 miles

Screen shots of these and others, plus the UHF stack array and highband VHF antenna setup, included in a slideshow via the link below.

Steve

Strangely, I get many captures from Indy, analog and DTV.

WTHR

WFYI

WRTV-DT

WXIN

WXIN-DT

WHMB

107 contacts logged total, max range 609 statute miles. I'm quite picky about logging my captures. Many enthusiastic TV/FM DX'rs have thousands of captures. I have a real life, sorry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts