AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need the collective experience of you guys. My issue is I'm running three diy sound group fusion 10 pures behind my AT screen running from a emotiva umc 200 and amplified by a outlaw audio 7075

I just set everything up this week and last night I noticed when I put my ear about two feet from the speakers if I panned accross the screen the left speaker is noticeably louder then the right. The distances are all set on the umc200 and both are set at zero decibels. It's about a 4 to 5 decibel difference is say.

So I just wondered if any of you guys ever run into that, and if there is a setting I might have wrong? Any thoughts appreciated thanks

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Is there a frame or something blocking the right speaker?
Do you have an SPL meter or Umik-1 or similar to check volume for each channel separately?

Just because they are both set to zero in the AVR doesn't matter(although they shouldn't be way off unless there is an issue somewhere).
Did you run Audyssey by any chance, maybe it set one of the levels much lower for some reason.
Is the left speaker in a corner/ against the wal, where as the right speaker isn't?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an spl meter although this might be a good reason to get one. I also don't have any calibration besides what come with the umc 200. The speakers are equal distance to the back and side walls( about three feet on each side from speaker to side walls)

I just hope I built the speakers right although Iv had them for about four months and never noticed this befor.

It seems like something in the umc200 needs adjusted. If I turn the left channel down about 4 decibels it seems close t the right but that seems like a band aide plus then I'd have to adjust the center channel to compensate as well. The more I write this and think about it the more I think it's time to get an spl meter.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Who built the Crossovers?

I use a Umik-1 and free software called REW to measure and set SPL, because it's a USB mic that REW is already setup for.
Cost about $80, but it'll last me years, and I can do more with it that a simple SPL meter that requires other stuff and compensation files, etc...

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I don't have an spl meter although this might be a good reason to get one. I also don't have any calibration besides what come with the umc 200. The speakers are equal distance to the back and side walls( about three feet on each side from speaker to side walls)

I just hope I built the speakers right although Iv had them for about four months and never noticed this befor.

It seems like something in the umc200 needs adjusted. If I turn the left channel down about 4 decibels it seems close t the right but that seems like a band aide plus then I'd have to adjust the center channel to compensate as well. The more I write this and think about it the more I think it's time to get an spl meter.
Have you verified that your polarity is correct from the amp to each of the speakers? That would be my starting place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I think today or tomorrow I'll switch speakers and see if it's still louder on the left side. And I'll probly get an spl meter to set all the channels

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Your symptoms sound 99% to me like a crossover problem, because I had the same problem when I built my XO's. It took guidance from Tux to straighten me out.

Done correctly, you will get massive output, and both sides will sound the same.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Interested in the fusions you have listed for sale, what ever happened wih this issue?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts