AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started on the basic cabs after I placed my order ...so
Thanks to Erich for his patience and revealing answers especially wrt to which 15" is really not 15"

I'm posting a few pics now just to be sure things are looking right . . . so far

the bracing pic 1 x 3 x 21 back and sides, centered in panel, 1 x 2 x 12 centered top and bottom 9 trimmed down from 1 x 3

stuffing pic, ultratouch well wrapped on all sides and "around" 1 x 3 braces, full coverge over horn/CD not glued in yet

woofer shot, clearance under woofer and NO stuffing in bottom lower 4-5" wrt port cleareance/blockage
I'm working with MAXCUT to post a cutsheet , for building 2

Attachments

Reactions: LTD02

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How much stuffing?
I bought the 6 pack from HD
each cab took 2 full rolls minus 1 small piece about 4" x 6"

that's how much . . .

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after a grand opening of the usual excellent packaging (thanks Erich & Co.)
I just had to get a glimpse of what 3 x 15 SEOS horns might just look like ,
the center of course being the flatpack 88 special build

for the few subs I've built, yeah, the notion of flatpacks for them seemed a bit far fetched (HA!), not impossible or they could have been farmed out . .
so the 88 special with the flatpack was to give me a break for the experience of it . .

then deciding to build the cabs for this venture, hey how hard could it be, it's a box

you may notice in the braces picture (the naked case) what looks like truncated kreg screw holes of the face . . . yep

just a bit ambitious ,
after all I skipped the flat packs cause I've got inventory galore and a full sized panel saw
you can make your mistakes so much more easily . . .just measure incorrectly and zippidy zap, its cut . . . fortunately taking off another 3/4 inch, no problem

and I didn't need those holes any way, the baffle goes on the face of those edges but the roundover , nope, no kregs there

the picture braceback show my optimism wrt to continue building the cab from the inside out, with minimum exterior surface prep wrt to 2 coats of flat black
the kreg holes there are to help attach the baffle/brace combo to the box from the inside, maybe a few brads on the face but even more importantly
PL the bejeesus out of the edges and a bit of a dribble down the insides , those baffle braces are "loose fit"
and don't forget clamps,
we got clamps
breaceglueup is the bafflebrace and baffle under seige from about 15-16 clamps along with a healthy dose of Gorilla wood glue
its NOT a clamp gag picture - that's how I do it . . . ands yes, I hit the registration marks, both fit rather well, thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A (brief) NOTE FOR THOSE ABOUT TO BUILD AMOST ANYTHING from here

we'll assume you've done the work to getting the right item(S)

Do your homework wrt to capacity and desire/motivation and the time spent on the build

The 88 special kit was a hoot and a quickie, compared to my sub builds . . .

If I did not have exceptional (a home owner with a FULL SIZE PANEL SAW - who has that?)access to the tools, beaucoup clamps and TIME (I'm retired)(notice I didn't talk about skill) and all what not, my advice to me would be :
GET THE FLATPACKS

looking at the well massaged engineering you get wrt to a well educated eye for design and ease of assembly, -slam dunk even for Bridget the midget
I'm, not sorry I didn't get the flat packs but if I ever consider an upgrade wrt to my ATMOS tops, you bet its gonna be a full kit ( for whatever)
I'm ok with being king of the garage and I have 0 WAF so however much time I spend, well i'm having fun and a challenge
One common element for DIY is a sense of integrity and pride for a capacity to be able to do it smarter/better and a better ROI and bragging rights . .

Speaking of integrity, for the more ambitious builders taking on the XO, if you're ok with that sort of stuff, my hat's off to you,
for a noob (ME!), be aware, the xo pictured at DIYSG is NOT what you will build ,:eek:
the supplied schematic is clear enough, it is a matter of IP of the design and designer . . but there's still a few electrical do-nots that will arise

which is why you rarely see any posted . .:)

Reactions: wvu80

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
That stuffing is just fine.

So you are doing a double baffle for extra rigidity?

especially wrt to which 15" is really not 15"
Oddly enough, woofers are very rarely made to the exact dimensions of their definition by name.

General observation though: You use "wrt to" too often dude, it makes your sentences MUCH harder to comprehend when you do that.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll pay more attention to the writing, thanks

meanwhile , briefly back OT

having downloaded MAXcut, as referenced in a build in the sticky at the top of the DIY page
here is 2 Fusion 15's cut sheet, 1 sheet of .75 ply, 1/8th blade
(it worked really intuitively, really, , even for me)
sorry, that format .mc3 is not allowed- what?
I'll post my dimensions

2: 17.5 x 29 back
4: 13.5 x 29 sides
4: 13.5 x 16 tops/bottoms
2: 16 x 27.5 baffle braces
6: 3 x 21 long braces
4 : 2 x 12 short braces
if you try putting these in maxcut, you will only use 1 sheet . . . using 1/8th blade
makes $150 for 2 flatpack look expensive, unless you like working for not much
fun fun fun
and as the flatpack has a brace that hits the baffle centered between the top of the woofer and the bottom of the horn (check the website), I intend to fit in a 1" oak dowel from the back of the bafflebrace down on to the top edge of the long 3 x 21 brace running down the center of the back, looks to be abut 10".

My XO will sit anchored on top of that same long brace just under the woofer

that's enough for one night . . somebody else's turn

one last thing . . going to go blow a first coat of sealer on the edges of that MDF

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
short note to BassThatHZ

thanks for the stuffing evaluation, :) I can start gluing that in the morning ..
and
At DIYSG, when you buy the flat pack, it comes with the baffle beefed up to 1 1/2" so it the baffle is doubled

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ Mfusick : should I look up the embedding protocol
or can you just point me at it and I'll flub it a few times until I get it right
folks here like a well told/illistrated story . .

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Here is a quick 101:

Attach the photos to the post with the uploader. You get the small attachment window of the picture that you can open to enlarge. Open that in another window or browser tab and copy the URL address from the top header bar.

For example open this in another window and copy the address:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=652497&d=1428392818

Now use the IMG tags which are
after and it will format it automatically and embed into your post.

Like this:

+ [url]http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=652497&d=1428392818[/url] + [img]

So you get this:

[img]http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=652497&d=1428392818

It's a lot of extra work but the threads appear much nicer and you can view the posts right inside the thread, which is a huge bonus for people.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^
10-4 good buddy
I'll work that . .

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOOKING FOR IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK . . .:eek:

In another thread, the issue was how close is too close wrt placement of the XO and the/a woofer/ OR any (?) speakers magnet

that was a discussion of volt 8'so 6's in the slant box a lot smaller than the F-15 cab
ergo internal xo would be "closer" by space/placement restriction

In the attached pic, (sorry mike-I want to attach my baffles before the end of the day)
no component of the xo is any closer than 4 1/4 inches . .
SO, IS THIS A GO?:confused:

otherwise, thanks to Matt for his late night and gentle guidance wrt an obvious XO connection faux pas
the second one was a snap . . .

standing by . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
My Fusion Pure XO's are on the back wall, my REW sweeps look fine.
Could they look better? I dunno, probably not or not much, as they look pretty similar to my Sierra1 sweeps, with a bit less suckout at 2 frequencies, probably because of the Toe-in of the Pures.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^
always good to hear positive things, looking to report good results myself

got 1 baffle done today, used 12 clamps, 12 kreg screws from the inside
and 2 beads of PL, one on the 3/4 face edge and 1 bead on the side wall were the inner baffle brace will smear it around as it seats

might just be enough

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I'm not sure why folks go through the hassle with Kreg/pocket screws, I never understood that myself.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for me, after an entertainment center or 2, face frames, speaker stands, braces for furniture wrt beefing up before installing shakers
simple direct maybe less final appearance finagling, no face nails or whatever to "fix/prep', usually
seems like a lazy and brilliant solution:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some good progress
rolling another one, just like this first one

that post is 1 1/4" oak, left over from a project in '02,nominally adequate . . .

yes it is the same "custom" grill I used for the 88 Special
:eek:
should have a line up pic after they get in the house tomorrow:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts