AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Not sure exactly where to post this so I'll post here.

Now, I just got the DVico Fusion HDTV3 Gold T card.

I tried to use my Urban Cableworks connection to get the HDTV channels but I couldn't get them any which way. Seems like for some reason Urban (an affiliate of Time Warner Cable) has encrypted the Local Philadelphia HDTV channels.

I also tried a Terk HDTV Indoor antenna. But, I could only get the local NBC station and the image was certainly not HD (colors washed out, not a sharp image, looked worse than a regular analog signal).

So, what can I do to get the local HDTV channels? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if it helps my zip code is 19143.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
BPM,

For future reference, specific questions on HDTV PC cards belong in the HTPC forum.

Quote:
I tried to use my Urban Cableworks connection to get the HDTV channels but I couldn't get them any which way. Seems like for some reason Urban (an affiliate of Time Warner Cable) has encrypted the Local Philadelphia HDTV channels.
As far as your Urban Cableworks connection, I assume you scanned through all the channel numbers? The QAM channel structure that you'd see with the the DVico Fusion is very different from what you see with a cable box; ABC-HD might be 102-3, CBS-HD might be 110-4, etc. The channel numbers will appear totally random.

Terk antennas are junk; they are the one brand of antennas to avoid for DTV/HDTV reception.

A good antenna for DTV reception is the "Silver Sensor." You can find it rebranded under the Philips name right here for about $25. As you can see below, the Silver Sensor resembles the Terk HDTVi, but for some reason, the Terk "ripoff" doesn't work anywhere near as well.

http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/image...DTV1Z_TN02.jpg

An alternative is this $15 antenna from Radio Shack. It's not as pretty, but it's cheaper, available locally, and works almost as well for most people.

Picture of Radio Shack part # 930-0998 :

http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...0/930-0998.jpg

Many have also had success with Radio Shack part # 15-1880 . At $39.99, it is a bit more expensive.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...15/15-1880.jpg

Radio Shack has a liberal return policy, so you could buy both (#15-1880 and #930-0998) and keep the one that works best at your location.

Keep in mind that DTV reception is sensitive to antenna orientation. A 30 degree difference in antenna orientation can mean the difference between perfect reception and no reception at all. Also be sure you are tuning the right channels. In Philadelphia, CBS-HD is channel 26, FOX is 42, ABC-HD is 64, NBC-HD is 67, PBS is 55, WB is 54, and UPN is 32.

·
Banned
892 Posts
The first two antennas are UHF only. If you are in a market with any VHF digital stations then you would need to use a VHF capable antenna as well. It sounds like bfdtv's lists suggest that they are all UHF in Philadelphia so this info is pointed at other people in other markets.

For instance, there is a digital channel 12 in the SF bay area.

Also, we may see some of the digital channels migrate back from UHF to VHF when the analog transmitters are shut down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.