AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been researching for quite some time here and this is my first post. I bought the fusion-6 tm kit from DIYsoundgroup and finished putting it together last night. My question is should I add any stuffing to the box?

I built the overnight sensations speaker a few weeks ago and bought this to compare the two designs. The fusion-6 was the winner for me although the overnight sensation is still a good speaker for the size and price. I was impressed with the way the fusion-6 made everything sound larger and fuller. 

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks. The kit did come with some foam that I glued on the back wall and I was thinking about adding some loose polyfill as well. I just didn't want to make any major changes without asking.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Yes, any foam was likely for shipping protection. Forum member MTG90 did that design. Maybe he will chime in later today and let us know how much polyfill to use. I would say to lightly fill most of the speaker with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, that was dumb. It was a sheet of gray foam and i thought that's what it was for. I'll add some polyfill and see what happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I added polyfill and it made a big difference! The sounds is much deeper and doesn't have a hollow sound anymore. Very pleased with these speakers. I am using these to replace Pioneer floorstands. Next I am going to order the mtm version for the LCR.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah a decent stuffing of polyfill or other absorptive material is definitely needed. Glad you like them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

mtg90 I have another question for you. I have been reading about the V-8 coaxial design and some other new ones that are going to come out. Would these work better for LCR than the Fusion-6 mtm? I am limited by size (WAF) and would like the best speaker with a smaller footprint. I know this is a constant issue in the DIY world and I am new to all of this. Thanks for your info. 

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxforNoise  /t/1526282/fusion-6-question#post_24580492

I am using these to replace Pioneer floorstands.

Congrats on the build!

Would you mind sharing what model Pioneers they're replacing, and what you think of them in comparison?  I'm hemming and hawing over which model to build, and, as budget is probably the single biggest criterion in my decision process (tightwad and audio don't mix!), I'm quite intrigued by the Fusion 6... but my unimaginative, ignorant mind can't get "replace floor standers with bookshelf 6-inch speakers" to make sense...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Better is hard to define, personal preferences vary and some may like the sound of the V-8 others the Fusion-6 MTM. The V-8 coaxial will be more sensitive then the Fusion-6 MTM but the frequency response is a little more ragged. The Fusion-6 MTM should sound pretty much identical to the ones you have already. I feel the Fusion-6 is smoother and more detailed then the V-8 but lacks the dynamics you get from the extra sensitivity of the V-8. I am sort of 50/50 on this myself, I would like to see a matching set of speakers used yet the V-8 might give you more bang for your buck if you are amp limited and these are being used for HT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

mtg90:

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly the info I was looking for. I like the idea of more detail and smooth response because I don't listen at very high volumes. Not having as much experience with speakers makes this difficult to understand but I am starting to get there. Next I have to learn how to apply veneer and maybe speaker cloth....

Then a DIY subwoofer comes next. 

FreakishlyTall:

I can understand a budget! My current floorstand speakers are the 1st gen Pioneer SP-FS51-LR and I have the center channel and surrounds as well connected to a Denon AVR 591 (75 watts/ch). For a first system I have been happy but I knew I was missing details and dynamic range. I built the fusion-6 last weekend because of the smaller size and everyone talking about how smooth the frequency response is and I've never heard a compression driver (that I know of). 

The detail really stood out in the top end with the fusion 6 and I am using them right now with the center channel and floorstands off. If I had to compare the fusion 6 sounds like a very large speaker even though its 6 inches and the higher frequencies seem clearer. I am crossing over with a Klipsch RW-12d at 80 hz so I don't expect these to play low. I am going to build the fusion 6 mtm for the LCR and am sure this will easily sound much better than my current system. 

·
Registered
113 Posts

FreakishlyTall:

I can understand a budget!

Thanks for the details and comparison -- I (and I'm sure more than a few lurkers) appreciate it.  Might just have to build a pair of F-6s as towers, just to see what I'm missing / as a gentle first step into the world of waveguides.

Also, nice to see someone else at least aware of the notion of a budget... as a recently addicted member of this wonderful, generous-with-help forum, about the only negative thing I have seen is that "spend more money!" is suggested as the solution wayyyy too often.  But, at the same time, I am at least conscious of the fact that "Audio" and "Budget" don't really mix!  ; )  

Good luck with your MTM build!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts