AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger. The Alchemy shipped today and will be here tomorrow. I wish I had more time to start the project, instead it will have to wait until Friday.

The Idea
1. Book matched curly maple veneer. Black baffle.

I plan on using a water based dye, sanding back, dying again, then applying true-oil and finishing with that. Example:http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/tips-tricks/awesome-wood-finishes-curly-maple/

Research involved watching a ton of videos of how to finish guitars. This video helped a lot to give an idea how this technique works.

This turquoise looks awesome, but not so much on speakers.

or
2. Zebrawood with a black baffle.

I am leaning more towards the book matched curly maple.

Advice?

Anyone have any advice on finishing? I am tempted to go with true-oil because it tends to be more durable and it can easily be refinished. It will also darken my maple and does not require spraying on.

I see some folk on here doing veneer first then gluing on the baffle. Any suggestions about that? I would hate to finish my veneer sides and get glue all over.

What can I use to stuff the cabinets? What is the "preferred" product that is cost effective and easy to work with?

Will post updates when I have more progress.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I veneered and then glued my baffle on. What I did was put blue painters tape around the edge of the veneer, and then painted on titebond with a brush to get a good even coat and minimize squeeze out. I just used a damp rag to remove any excess glue. It went well. For finishing, I use a technique similar to yours. Water based wood dye, followed by Waterlox to seal the wood, and then I rub on/off a coat of gel walnut stain to pop the grain in the wood. Since the wood is already sealed, the only spot it stays is the pores. That's more of an oak finishing technique though, not sure I'd recommend it on your woods.

My build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1799690-g-money-s-b-stock-build-si18.html

Stuffing can be from the cheap poly-fill pillows you get at Wal-Mart. Or if you have a fabric store near you, you can buy it in bulk. I picked up a 10lb package pretty cheap at a JoAnne fabric store near me. The price wasn't bad to begin with, and then they had a 25% off any one item coupon in the store flier at the door.

I'll be watching your build closely. The Alchemy is one of my final contenders. I'd like to go with the 10's, but there isn't a center channel in any of the options except for the 1099.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I veneered and then glued my baffle on. What I did was put blue painters tape around the edge of the veneer, and then painted on titebond with a brush to get a good even coat and minimize squeeze out. I just used a damp rag to remove any excess glue. It went well.
Great job in your build. What paint did you use for the baffle. I like that matte look. Overall you did a great job with the veneer. I will have to dig deeper through your thread.

Not trying to plug my own thread by it is applicable to your question. I recommend no polyfil in your ported Fusion 8 alchemy. Line the walls with an open cell foam.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...towers-stuffed-vs-unstuffed-measurements.html
Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Foam-1-1-12-Pieces/dp/B008Y387B4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1426043623&sr=8-11&keywords=acoustic+foam

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Sure^ that will work. Not sure it's any better than your common mattress topper foam though. Walmart and fabric stores sell foam mattress toppers for less dollars per square foot. But if you only had to do two alchemy 8s that stuff from amazon is cheap enough to use. I wouldn't use that to line a big sub though due to the cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great job in your build. What paint did you use for the baffle. I like that matte look.
I'm also a fan of the matte look as well. It was some Sherwin Williams semi-gloss enamel, over two coats of BIN. I used a mohair roller to put it on. Getting it on without leaving roller marks or sags was a pain, no question about it. It's not a perfect paint job, but it works....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts