AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I've loved my Rocket RS850s I've gotten tired of looking at something I didn't build. I've gone through more than my share of speakers including JBL 3677s, 8340s, 8330s, QSC 2150s, Paradigm, Klipsch , Def techs, Volt 10lx, HTM-12. I recently installed HTM-12s in my theater room and tested them in the living room. I wanted to look at something I built as I've been a DIYer for almost 2 decades.

I've loved modules for years so I figured why not. I wanted something that wasn't too wide but sounded huge and the fusion 8 seemed perfect. I've had many friends rave about them especially for their price. Then it came to subs. I want a clean look and wanted something good down to 30hz. This is a sports, cartoon and hang out room.. I have a theater for the low stuff. After hours of modeling in Winisd the Ultimax 8 was the best I found to model in a net 1 cubic foot box with a tuning around 29hz. This required a 4" port (to keep velocity down) and 40" of port.. a tight fit.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2395536&d=1524689645[img]
[img]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2395464&d=1524689231

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Those are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!
How are you powering everything and how do they sound ?
Do you have any more detailed pics of the port tubes ? I’m not understanding how they are shaped or run inside the enclosures. Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Those are FANTASTIC! How do they sound? Do they put those 850's to shame?

Reactions: cdy2179

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

To answer the questions they sound awesome. Everyone knows the fusion 8 sounds huge, detailed, dynamic etc. The UM 8 subs are extremely musical with a ton of chest punching slam.. I basically have the cone area of 2 12s they just have tad high tune at 29hz which was by design. The system is everything I wanted.

I'm crossing them over at 120hz just to let the subs in on the action more and I like the bass a little hot. As you can see in my WinISD response above I tuned some house curve into the enclosure design for fun!

The subs are being pushed with a Crown XLS 1500 and currently the mains are fed off of a Yamaha AVR. The crown used to push the Rockets but I need it on sub duty now. I may get another amp for the main... or maybe I won't. It's not really needed to be honest with the sensitivity of the Fusion 8.

As for the ports here's a pic of them minus the flare ends. Once in the cabinet they can be adjusted. I would have rathered a little more space from the drop down section to the port end but that's the best I could do and this takes advantage of the entire depth and length of the cabinet. Performance is perfect with zero port noise unless I get below tuning and lose cone control so I have a balanced miniDSP on the way to set the HPF.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Looks awesome. My OCD would have me flip the top cabinet over so the boxes are mirror images of each other lol....

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s a lot of port in the enclosures. How much volume do they take up?
Sure thing. I have that on my scratch drawings at home but just take the OD of thinwall 4" find the area pi (r sq) x length. I think before port and driver deductions I was around 1.4 cubes or so. Of course the flare is a tad different as you don't begin taking it's length into account until half way into the flare.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They look great!! Did you make the outriggers yourself?
Thanks.

Yep, I bought some 3' flat stock metal at Lowe's for $7 each .. bought two.

The rubber feet are from amazon.

So all together the feet cost me $22 with hardware. A few bucks for gloss black too.

It took me an hour to cut, shape and drill them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks awesome. My OCD would have me flip the top cabinet over so the boxes are mirror images of each other lol....
That was a big decision for me and couldn't decide. I took pics of the towers with the baffles both ways and let my wife and kids vote as well as a few facebook DIY sites. Almost everyone including the family choose the configuration I went with.

OCD wise it does group the drivers all centered with the ports on the edges so it is symetrical as a unit so I guess it depends on how your OCD looks at it.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks.

Yep, I bought some 3' flat stock metal at Lowe's for $7 each .. bought two.

The rubber feet are from amazon.

So all together the feet cost me $22 with hardware. A few bucks for gloss black too.

It took me an hour to cut, shape and drill them out.

The whole build is super impressive!!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to add this pic. As many know the new drivers are hemp cones and are green. Needless to say I had to find a fix. There are companies that sell speaker dye so I figured clothing dye would work fine and it's dirt cheap. Did some research, bounced the idea off of Erich and that's that. Worked great with 2 lightly misted coats of RIT black liquid dye in a little spray bottle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts