AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of you with the Fusion HDTV cards ...

Is it possible to watch a file independently of what is currently recording? (I am hooked on PVR style viewing). If it's not possible, what's the bottleneck preventing this, would new software be able to do this theoretically or is there some hardware limitation?

Also, how's the format conversion quality compared to the MyHD type hardware decoding cards, 1080i->720p ?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You would think this would be possible if they support it in the software. Since the card is not used at all for playback - you can see this with the demo software - it only checks for the existance of the board to prevent non-authorized playback. The board is only needed as a tuner for transfering the received digital data (already compressed) to the hard disk - since there is no hardware encoding or decoding on the card, thats why its so cheap and rquires a high performance CPU plus advanced video card to do the hardwork of decompressing the HDTV MPEG2 program stream for playback.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
You would think this would be possible if they support it in the software.
Actually, the hardware does determine if it can do this, because to do so it would have to be able to tune to two different stations at the same time. I think you may have to wait for the Fusion II to get this capability, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Actually, the hardware does determine if it can do this, because to do so it would have to be able to tune to two different stations at the same time
No, I wouldn't need to tune 2 different stations at once. The idea is that I record show A at some earlier time. It's now saved to disk, don't need the tuner for that anymore. Now, show B is recording, using up the tuner. I'd like to be able to watch show A from disk while B continues to record. (Or watch show B from the beginning, rather than at the currently airing portion.) Since the playback software doesn't need any resources from the card, one would think this is possible. Anybody try it yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.