Registered
3,374 Posts
Larry,

Thank you for your order and feedback.

Enjoy the chairs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Had a few conversations and emails with Roman and he is as professional and responsive as I've heard about for the MANY years I've seen him here on AVSForum.

Just about to pull the trigger on some Escapes (front) and Lagoons (back?), but was hoping to sit in them - still debating on the right model...wish I had one model choice that had everything I wanted (not possible...I want one that feels huge but has a tiny footprint, inexpensive but has every deluxe feature, super soft and plush but durable as titanium,...you know, all those incredibly unrealistic and mutually exclusive goals that drive manufacturers and sales people crazy).

Anyone close to Louisville, KY that has these (or any) that would be willing to let a (semi)respectable guy come over for a few moments with your seats? =)

·
Registered
359 Posts
After posting, I thought it may be best to do a quick write-up to ask you guys a few of my internal questions running around my head. Roman has been awesome about answering all the pre-sales questions and even giving excellent opinions about things that the buyer should already have figured out (I don't have them figured out). I'm trying to get an understanding of how 'acceptable' breaking certain home theater rules is and how that may work in my theater.

First, the general dimensions of my theater are relatively conservative - 19'+ long, 12'9 wide and ~9' tall. It will have 4" deep columns on each side which reduce the 'usable' width down to about 12'1, but still provide a bit of a 'gap' between the wall and the immediate edge of the chair. The door to the theater is on the side - it's a barn-style door (slides across the outside opening) and the opening is almost 5ft wide. There is also a 'bar' window opening in the back of the theater that can be closed with the same type of sliding barn door. It provides access to the bar on the opposite side of the wall, and allows people sitting at the bar while eating to see and hear the movie but be somewhat 'outside' the theater. Several images in the build process and in Sketchup are on my very short build-thread in my signature, but the overall look is very similar to this:

For seating, the goal was to have a rear row on a riser (roughly 13 inches tall) and front row directly on the floor. Width AND length are somewhat tight (I should have made the theater 3 ft larger in both directions), so I'm trying to figure out seating.

My wife and I are social people, and usually go out to dinner/movies at least twice a month with other couples. Additionally, we have people over for 'main event' things (Superbowl, UFC fights, basketball playoffs, Kentucky Derby, etc). Finally, we have four sons, two of which have autism and may end up living with us until we die. With all of these factors, in my mind it screams "get as many chairs as possible" when figuring out a format - I'm going to want them for the future.

I love the idea of the Escapes, and have decided I want them for the front row. I'd like to have 4 seats there, if possible, but I can't do a IOIOIOIOI format and be that narrow. I'd have to go with a double loveseat IOOIIOOI configuration (I don't think I can get rid of the double middle armrest with Escapes in this config, correct?) or a center loveseat config IOIOOIOI. Having the seats this wide means bumping the far right seat up against the column on the wall (basically, the chair is 4 inches off the wall, so your head will be about 18 inches from the wall, and about 4 foot from the above-ear surround sound speaker). The far left chair would be about 25 inches from the doorway opening, providing enough room to pass through, but still being somewhat 'tight'. I'm mostly OK with this, as I think that when my wife and I are alone, we would sit in the 'middle' chairs on the front row, so don't care about the side chairs, and when we have people over, everyone would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of surround-sound capabilities to have a seat in the theater. Maybe I'm wrong.

The back row is where I start having concerns. I was thinking of getting a duplicate row in the back, but read several people post that the majority of the time you will be watching movies alone. Don't design for parties, design for the 'normal' - my normal is probably four people watching movies. I'd prefer to have the back row only take up about 5'-5'6" on the riser, and have the back edge of the front row seats sitting about 5'6 from the back wall. This isn't possible, if I use reclining seats in the back. I've thought about just putting a couch back there, but I don't like the 'looks' of HT seats on the front row and a completely different seating option on the back. I've almost convinced myself to go with the Lagoons for the back row (comfortable, look similar to the Escapes, lower cost option) but I'm still torn between 5 Lagoons and 4 Escapes, keeping them all the exact same seat through the theater. Also, if I go with the four escapes, I'd use the extra width not needed for the aisle to go with a more configurable design IOIOIIOIOI that would allow me to move to a IOIIOOIIOI loveseat.

Now my questions that are rattling around in my head:
  1. Given my constraints and needs, this will put the right side seat against the wall in the front row, and the back row against the back wall and both side walls. This obviously isn't ideal. Should I be more conservative and reduce each row by 1 seat to keep off the side walls?
  2. Do I go with all Escapes (fewer in the back row) or do I go with Lagoons and get (1) more width, and (2) a different feeling chair in the event that someone in the family doesn't like the comfort of the Escape and wants a different option?
  3. How 'tight' can I be between the back wall, the back row, and the front row. I imagine that the back seats won't ever need to fully recline (higher riser and a row in front will keep people from reclining the entire way so they can see the movies). I don't care if people can walk between the front/back row if both rows are reclined...my feeling is that if someone needs to go to the bathroom during a party, interrupting the other people in the back row to get them to un-recline while they walk through is acceptable. What I DON'T want is to have someone from the back row put their feet right next to my head while I'm watching a movie in the front row. My older sons are 16 and 18, and they can clear a room with their feet-stink at times. =D I'm actually holding off building the riser until I have seats-in-hand, so I can build the riser to the perfect size. I just want to get the correct seats for this, to save as much space as possible.
  4. My budget would keep me from getting Buttkickers on these seats. I could get two if I go with all Escapes. I could get four if I go with 5 Lagoons on the back row or go with 6 if I go with four Lagoons on the back row (less expensive seats provides more money for other options). I can buy BK's in the future, so this isn't a huge deal for me, but I'm trying to make my decisions from a holistic perspective.
OK. So I've over-analyzed this way too much (that's my way...analysis paralysis is my skillset). Any thoughts/gut reactions you guys have are more than welcome. I'd like to make a decision in the next couple of days, but I'm also hoping someone close to me responds to my request for giving their chairs a test-spin, so I probably won't make the decision until Wed/Thurs after I've given people a chance to respond.

Thanks again for any feedback, and a special thanks to Roman for being so quick to answer my previous questions in such a professional and complete manner.
-Scott

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You mentioned not liking the contrasting look of a couch on the riser, but have you considered traditional theater seats there? Especially if 4 people is more of the norm. Obviously, they're not big comfy recliners, but it can also provide a more theater-esque experience. I've seen a handful of folks (myself included) who went with the recliner type for the main row and theater for additional seating. It let's you shorten your riser a good bit, and there are tons of seat options to coordinate any look/color design you could imagine. We have Fusion Jives for our front row in a curve IOIOOIOI formation (needed the narrower Jives as my room has a 4' knee wall), and 4 theater style on the riser. That let me keep the riser to 5' deep, and there's still plenty of legroom. I'm 6'7" and it's more than enough legroom for me; I mean yes if I stretch completely I can put my feet on the row in front of me, but only just. The seats we picked turned out to be more comfortable than our local theater (plus a bit wider), and even when it's just me and the wife, I'll end up sitting back there on occasion just for the theater feel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You mentioned not liking the contrasting look of a couch on the riser, but have you considered traditional theater seats there? Especially if 4 people is more of the norm. Obviously, they're not big comfy recliners, but it can also provide a more theater-esque experience. I've seen a handful of folks (myself included) who went with the recliner type for the main row and theater for additional seating. It let's you shorten your riser a good bit, and there are tons of seat options to coordinate any look/color design you could imagine. We have Fusion Jives for our front row in a curve IOIOOIOI formation (needed the narrower Jives as my room has a 4' knee wall), and 4 theater style on the riser. That let me keep the riser to 5' deep, and there's still plenty of legroom. I'm 6'7" and it's more than enough legroom for me; I mean yes if I stretch completely I can put my feet on the row in front of me, but only just. The seats we picked turned out to be more comfortable than our local theater (plus a bit wider), and even when it's just me and the wife, I'll end up sitting back there on occasion just for the theater feel.
I actually looked at a couple different options in that realm, and took my wife to see some. She veto'd the idea - She has let me decide on everything within the theater, but that's where she put her foot down. It's either recliner-style home theater seats or it's a couch/sectional (almost had that up there also, but it sold out and I decided not to pursue further).

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Anyone close to Louisville, KY that has these (or any) that would be willing to let a (semi)respectable guy come over for a few moments with your seats? =)
I have a few customers in LA that purchased Escape-1019s, but they are about 240-270 miles from you. If you are willing to take a 4 hour drive, I can ask them whether they would let you in to see and try the chairs.

Here are some:

Mandeville, LA 70448 - 237 miles
New Orleans, LA 70125 - 243 miles
Slidell, LA 70461 - 271 miles

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a few customers in LA that purchased Escape-1019s, but they are about 240-270 miles from you. If you are willing to take a 4 hour drive, I can ask them whether they would let you in to see and try the chairs.

Here are some:

Mandeville, LA 70448 - 237 miles
New Orleans, LA 70125 - 243 miles
Slidell, LA 70461 - 271 miles
Roman,

As always, thanks for the responsiveness and your answer / energy.
I found someone locally (Cincinnati) to test the Escapes and Tributes (he has the Jives also, but I haven't been looking at those as much). We are heading up there on Thursday evening to try the seats and a couple of his speakers that align with my plans for my theater. He doesn't have the Lagoons, but I'll extrapolate based on my 'feel' from the other three (and the Lagoons would be in the back row anyway - I don't know if I'd drive a couple hundred miles to test-sit those, since it will be my kids and friends that will sit there anyway =).

Thanks again, and I'm hoping to make decisions by end-of-week.

Thanks,
-Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback from Tribute owners.

I purchased 3 Tribute chairs a few weeks ago and have been discussing my concerns with Roman.
I feel there is a design flaw with the adjustable head rest.
Basically, when you adjust it to the forward position and let go, it snaps back quite a bit. Then, when you put any light pressure on the head rests, like when you relax your head into it, there is a creaking sound and the headrest goes back even further.
If I reach back with both hands and hold the headrest at the forward position, I can relax my head into it and be looking right ahead at the screen, which is my goal. As soon as I let go with both hands, it pops back and I'm staring straight up at the ceiling.
I feel this is not how these should work. If the mechanism has a forward position, there should be a way to lock it in that position.
I'd like to hear from other Tribute owners. Did I get a bad batch or is this how it works for yours as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I found someone locally (Cincinnati) to test the Escapes and Tributes

Hi Scott, it was great to meet you and the Mrs. last night and I hope you got all the info you needed to make your decision. Feel free to PM me with any more questions...:)

@rsh Roman, feel free to add me to your list of customers willing to allow other AVS members a test "sit"...:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback from Tribute owners.

I purchased 3 Tribute chairs a few weeks ago and have been discussing my concerns with Roman.
I feel there is a design flaw with the adjustable head rest.
Basically, when you adjust it to the forward position and let go, it snaps back quite a bit. Then, when you put any light pressure on the head rests, like when you relax your head into it, there is a creaking sound and the headrest goes back even further.
If I reach back with both hands and hold the headrest at the forward position, I can relax my head into it and be looking right ahead at the screen, which is my goal. As soon as I let go with both hands, it pops back and I'm staring straight up at the ceiling.
I feel this is not how these should work. If the mechanism has a forward position, there should be a way to lock it in that position.
I'd like to hear from other Tribute owners. Did I get a bad batch or is this how it works for yours as well?

Thanks!
Mine stay in place as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Scott, it was great to meet you and the Mrs. last night and I hope you got all the info you needed to make your decision. Feel free to PM me with any more questions...:)

@rsh Roman, feel free to add me to your list of customers willing to allow other AVS members a test "sit"...:)
I wanted to say to the group how much I really appreciated your hospitality and generosity in sharing your home and knowledge with my wife and I last night, Larry. It was an honor to meet someone of such high caliber, and a pleasure to spend time with you talking about a passion you obviously enjoy!

For those who aren't aware, Larry (aka. laugsbach) saw my request for additional information regarding the Escapes (and other seats) on this thread, and offered to allow me to come by his house and take them for a test-drive. I've been looking into the Escapes for my front seats, and possibly the Tributes or Lagoons for my rear seats. Additionally, I'm considering building the Fusion-15's, Volt 8's for surround, Volt-6's for Atmos, and an 18 inch sub from the DIY threads - Larry has three different model seats from Roman (the Escapes, Tributes, and Jives). and many of those speakers in his arsenal (along with many other subs and movie-watching-awesomeness). His offer to come see his room and demo the seats, speakers, etc. was beyond generous and helpful, and I can't say how much I appreciated the ability to have 'hands-on' experience with each of the items I am buying over the internet. It takes the 'sight unseen' aspect out of the process and helps to ensure our family is making an informed decision about everything.

For those of you who haven't met him yet, Larry's is a wealth of information - his passion/enjoyment of our shared hobby is absolutely energizing.

Thanks again, Larry. My wife and I really appreciate it!
-Scott

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm still doing my research but I really like the recliners in my local AMC Dolby movie theater. Any suggestions on what would be the closest thing to those? Also I really like the configuration of there seats but able to make one of the armrest go up to make a love seat so I can occasionally laydown and take a nap. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Also I really like the configuration of there seats but able to make one of the armrest go up to make a love seat so I can occasionally laydown and take a nap. Any suggestions?
You can do the following configurations:

3 seat couch IOOOI - Encore-1010, Lagoon-1011, Jive-1013 and Tribute-1015

or

chair/loveseat IOIOOI - any of our style groups

or

loveseat/chair IOOIOI - any of our style groups

You can then use modular removable armrest on the loveseat and couches to create an arm when you need to have it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I will have a full review with pictures upcoming...:)
Sorry for the delay...:)

I have purchased eight Fusion Collection theater chairs from Roman. (4) Jives & (2) Escapes in Bonded Leather and have been extremely happy with the chairs as well as the quality service provided by Roman. When my wife wanted to replace an old sofa in our living room with recliners, I immediately thought of Roman and called up his website so my wife could look at all of the styles. Initially, she was "humoring" me as she thought theater room chairs wouldn't look right in "her" living room space. :p The theater room is my space and the living room is HERS! :p

We looked around at some of the local "high end" furniture shops and she quickly realized how good our chairs really are and their value is off the charts. She decided on two Tribute chairs in "real" leather and both of us are quite pleased. A small part got damaged in shipment and two pieces were missing from our tilting table...a quick e-mail to Roman and he had the parts sent from the factory in Asia with two day delivery! Great service as always from Roman!

Our family and friends shake their heads when they see our new set-up and think we are taking our home theater room hobby a bit too far but a couple of my friends have asked for Roman's information...:cool:

Thanks again Roman...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Need Riser Info

Trying to get information about riser dimensions. I have 2 rows of the curved Lagoons and specially am interested in the depth of your riser. I have 2 rows of 4 chairs for 8 total.

I'm planning a 7" height and about 130" width with a 2" lip. Just need to get the depth figured out.

Thanks a ton in advance as this is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm planning a 7" height and about 130" width with a 2" lip. Just need to get the depth figured out.
I am not sure if you are asking me but my second row riser depth measurement is 39.5" with no lip and the four Fusion Jive chairs come right to the front edge... :)

Note: my old riser had a lip but people kept tripping over it.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
I am not sure if you are asking me but my second row riser depth measurement is 39.5" with no lip and the four Fusion Jive chairs come right to the front edge... :)

Note: my old riser had a lip but people kept tripping over it.
Yes! I'm asking you and everyone else about this issue.

That's the shortest depth I have seen. Do you have any pictures?

Right now I'm planning on 70". There are a few on here that say that 6'6" (78 inches) is the minimum in general when building a riser.

Or maybe I'm reading too much!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That's the shortest depth I have seen. Do you have any pictures?
I made it just fit the depth of the chairs as I didn't want the riser to extend out in front of the chairs. 90% of the time it is just me and my wife sitting in the front row of two chairs. I used to have the front row on furniture sliders and would move the chairs back against the back row but now with a 7.1.4 Atmos set-up, I leave the front row in place.

Since I do a lot of tweaking with the video and audio, I didn't want to set up onto a riser all the time while working in the theater room...I will get your some pictures later today. :)

1421 - 1440 of 2096 Posts