AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the market for an HDTV tuner card. Among the candidates are the Fusion HDTV II and the MyHD 100/120 card.

Since I have a DLP that can take both VGA and DVI and I'll get the ATI 9700 that has DVI output, I'd like to use the graphics card DVI output to connect to the display. This is why I'm leaning toward the Fusion. From the info I've gathered, I have a few questions that I hope will help me make a better decision.

- The Fusion can scale to the resolution of the graphics card. What does this mean? Doesn't the graphics card do the scaling normally? Does MyHD do the same if connect directly to the TV?

- I've heard concerns about the software-based tuner version hardware-based tuner. How's the Fusion tuning capability? If I get a weak signal, does it lock up and I have to reboot? Or do I lose the signal temporarily?

- Would MyHD be overkill for my needs, since I have a TV and graphics card with DVI? Any advantage in hooking MyHD directly to the TV? I guess the question is, wrt PQ, would it be better to connect MyHD directly to TV or to connect graphics card to TV?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The fusion can scale to any resolution supported by your video card. The other HDTV cards (not sure about future products) only support a limited number of preset resolutions

I have both a Fusion-I and an AccessDTV card. I would say that the Fusion tuner seems a little bit better than the ADTV model (but the ADTV handles better signal drops as it still displays a picture with 'mosaic' effects while the Fusion freezes the picture... so it's basically a wash). On my system, I've found the Fusion application very stable (better than Adtv), which is a very good surprise considering how new this product is. It's not perfect, but compares to a good software DVD player, for instance.

Sorry I can't answer your last question...

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Make sure you download the Fusion demo and see how things play on your machine.

I can say that on my Radeon 7000 things certainly look a fair amount worse than from my HiPix.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know whether the Fusion II will support NTSC sound through the sound card WITHOUT internal hardware connection?

I'll check out the demo to see how it looks on my system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I second the audio hardwire vs. PCI bus connection question. Anyone know?

DFA

·
Registered
797 Posts
I believe the FusionHDTV II is Bt878 based, right? If so, that device includes the A->D for the Audio, so this should be there (i.e. no "loop-back cable" required).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
edmc, I'm not as sure as you are. For instance, the FusionHDTV I is Bt878 based, but I don't know of a way to get NTSC sound over the PCI, a physical connection (internal or external) seems required.

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
so is the FusionHDTV II card available NOW or is it still a pre-order / limited release deal ?

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
797 Posts
Eiffel, the whole purpose of the A->D in the Bt878/879 is to pass the Audio over the PCI. If you look at the Data Sheet, the chip(s) has two PCI functions. The 1st function is the Video and looks to be very compatible to the only function in the ever popular Bt848. The 2nd function is for the Audio.

Good to get confirmation that the FusionHDTV I has the Bt878 - thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Fusion II seems to be at the top of my list now. Compatibility with DScaler is a bonus. Now, if anyone can objectively confirm that it can pass audio via PCI for NTSC, I'm in. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
so is the FusionHDTV II card available NOW or is it still a pre-order / limited release deal ?

--- Jason Berg
Cinefx says it's available now, but digital connection still lists it as a pre-order. Plus I haven't read anything from the beta testers, so who knows?

Tony

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
To : [email protected]

Cc :

Attchmnt:

Subject : FusionII

----- Message Text -----

I was comparsion shopping for this card, and came across this:

(the order has 75 to magnify the effect, I just wanted one. :) )

FusionII Dvico FusionHDTVII HDTV Tuner Card - 2 - 75 $ 199.00 $ 14925.00

----------

Order Subtotal: 14925.00

Quantity Discount: 0.00

Sales Tax: 0.00

Ground Shipping Costs: 80.46

Order Grand Total: $ 15080.08

Even though the webpage says $199.00, the actual price is more like

$199.995.

You should fix the price discrepancy one way or the other, since a phantom

dollar per card will show up on the webpage for ever FusionII purchased.

George
I just sent this e-mail message off to cinefx, so if you happened to pick up a FusionII from there, see if you got charged an extra dollar per card.

(Digital Connection came out cheaper for me on shipping, and had the price at $199.00, so that's where I bought mine.)

·
Registered
306 Posts
So this seems like it is the answer to my other thread about viewing HDTV via the DVI output on my video card.

Will the FusionHDTVII work with an AMD processor? They only list Intel. Thinking about using a XP 2200. Anyone know?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MovingTarget
Will the FusionHDTVII work with an AMD processor? They only list Intel. Thinking about using a XP 2200. Anyone know?
It'll work, but you'll need to check out the demo to be sure.

I tried the demo with a gf2mx and a XP 1700+ (1.466GHz) yesterday, and it stuttered in some high-bitrate parts of the gator (or is it croc?) demo,

but it was mostly smooth. The CPU usage did hit 100% in parts.

My XP2100+ overclocked to 2.472GHz plays all the demo clips and other higher-bitrate clips just fine, with CPU to spare, only 80% usage usually, 90% on 25Mbit/sec clips.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cliff, now that the the Fusion II is out, can you comment on its ability to pass NTSC audio over PCI? Or do I need to connect some wire to do that?

My preference is not to have the hard wire. Btw, what is it connecting anyway?

Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another question, can I record NTSC with the Fusion II software? I know this is not available with the Fusion I. Or do they share the same software? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
only concern I have is will the Fusion card interfere or stop XP Media Center Edition My TV from working... I have heard other horror stories on this but havent tried installing a second tuner yet....

I'm waiting to see if anyone has success doing this before I get anything

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.