AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Fusion II card yesterday. Installed it last night. No problems playing the demo clips from DVICO's website. Got audio, everything looks great. The downside is I'm so far from downtown Chicago that the Silver Sensor antenna didn't work like I had hoped (geographical problem, not the antenna's fault). Ihave to look into outside UHF antennas.

So I hooked up my regular COMCAST cable (not digital cable) into the cable input on the Fusion card. Switched the input to CABLE in the software and scanned all 125 channels. Nada. I get no cable channels thru the Fusion (except one very fuzzy Spanish channel 6). Mind you, I just removed the cable that was connected to my tv, where I get crystal clear cable (don't have a cable box) and connected it to my Fusion card.

Shouldn't I see the same channels thru my Fusion card?

Somebody set me straight, please...

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
557 Posts
It sounds like you are right that there is a mystery. I just have a Fusion I so the software probably appears slightly different. But if I had 'Cable' selected in the Channel tab of the Configuration dialog then Type could be set to Digital or Analog. Do you have it set to Analog when you scan for stations? If you had it set to Digital then it shouldn't find any stations since neither Fusion I or II is supposed to handle QAM which is the modulation standard for digital cable. My only suggestion is to be certain you have Type set to Analog but from your description you have already done that.

Since you didn't have a cable box, the cable ready receiver on the Fusion II should see the stations and you get a fuzzy channel 6 it doesn't seem likely you have Type set to Digital (in which case no channel should appear). Very strange. Good luck with tech support at Dvico.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SBryan,

Yep, I set the type to Analog and scanned the channels (I also tried "both" but that didn't matter).

I'm using the software that came with the card (2.02). I suppose I could install 2.12 and see what happens.

Anybody else out there? I hope somebody else has had this problem, because I know I'm probably not going to get much help from DVICO.

Dan

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
You cannot scan for cable-box cable channels on the Fusion 2. In my case I use SVideo and I change the input to SVideo and then control my cable box with it's own remote.

In your case I would assume you would switch to Cable Input if you are using the lower coax input on the card. Then choose either channel 3 or 4 on Fusion 2 whatever matches you cable box and then you should see the station you cable box is set at. From there you control the cable box the way you always have.

The Cable scan they have in there is for what I am guessing is backwards nations (loosely) since all the cable I know now is always controlled by a box from the cable company to decode encrypted signals, no free cable for you!

In fusions case if you used it in the manner you were hoping, fusion would be assuming that the cable would come straight from the street into your fusion card and have no copy protection in it. In this case then you could use the Fusion as a Cable tuner. I doubt anywhere near Chicago has that low of a security on cable in this day and age.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I initially had trouble with getting my Fusion II to tune properly. It turned out that it was because I had accidentally told Windows XP that I was from Zimbabwe, so the Fusion software was using the wrong frequency mappings. This can be changed in the "Regions and Languages Options" in the control panel.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Also, the Fusion II has 2 rf connections, of which only 1 is usable for cable (I can't remember which one).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

I am using the cable RF input on the Fusion II card (quadruple checked that one).

HorrorScope: I think you misunderstand (or maybe not?). I do NOT have a cable box or cable remote. My RG6 cable comes out of the wall and straight in to my (analog - cable ready) TV. If I take that cable and attach it to the "Cable" RF input on the Fusion II, Why shouldn't I see those same channels using my PC and Fusion II?

I do NOT have digital cable.

Could you explain this a little clearer to me? Anybody else in my situation?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Got it. Hmm.... can't test it for you but I am at least with you then. I would expect this to work in the manner you are trying. Call Digital Connections if that's where you got it from, I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't have cable to try what you are doing, but it is designed to do what you are attempting. Just checking the simple stuff, are you sure you are in the correct RF input on the Fusion?

When you installed the Fusion software there is a dialog that asks you to choose the country you are in- Did you see this and choose USA?

Next go into Configuration. The first tab is Video, set the Input Source to Cable. Then in the Channel tab set TV to Cable, and Type to Analog. Now when you do an Auto Scan does anything show up?

That should be all there is to it! If not could be a defective board.

Hammer

·
Registered
724 Posts
 http://www.naval.com/help/tv-freq.htm

I'm pretty sure you're getting HRC'd.

I was only getting channels 5 and 6 halfway (no color, just black and white and sound, I think.) before with my old channel package which had HRC frequencies. When I got my new channels, they switched the frequencies to an incremental set, which I'm guessing is the frequency set the Fusion is expecting. Now, my Fusion II tunes in all my analog cable channels.

It should be a simple matter of Dvico adding an option for US HRC frequencies as an option somewhere in the configuration or channel scan, but they haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rack,

I think you've nailed it down. I get channels 5 and 6 in BW (but poorly). I don't know much (actually NOTHING!) about Harmonic vs. Incremental frequencies, but you're describing exactly what I'm experiencing.

So I think that must be it. Everything else is working fine...

Anybody know anybody at DVICO who can request the option?

Thanks, at any rate.

Dan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Indeed you should be able to have both digital and analog channels in the same system; there's even a selector for the two RF jacks.

For some perverse reason, in practice you can't have basic cable channels and OTA DTV channels in the system at the same time. When you scan for the analog channels, the HDTV ones become unavailable.

I've tried sending e-mails to both Dvico and digitalconnection.com, where I got the card, but apparently, answering their e-mails is against their religion.

As soon as I find some dumb, unsuspecting soul, I'm unloading this POS.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cubdukat
As soon as I find some dumb, unsuspecting soul, I'm unloading this POS.
You got a price in mind for that unsuspecting soul?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.