AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While researching which way to go for my L/R, I came across the following quote at HT Shack. Would you guys consider this a pretty good summary of the differences between the Cinema/Fusion series, or are there other differences I should be considering with waveguides?

"1) The MTM will have better power handling and will play louder and be more dynamic.
2) The MTM will have a narrower vertical off axis response, meaning the sound will not spread vertically as much as an MT. This can be good or bad, depending on your application.
3) The MTM will likely cost more and require a bigger cabinet.
4) You can not assume that the MTM will have better sound quality. I would suggest that the sound quality will be the same, but the radiation pattern will be different, so depending on your application, one will likely work out better than the other.

Generally speaking an MTM is preferred for home theatre because of the greater dynamics and narrow vertical response. This reduces floor and ceiling reflection and can improve the frequency response at the listeners position. But if you listen to music while standing or move around and don't just sit in the sweet spot, then you might like the response of the MT better. I'm sure others may have a slightly different opinion on this matter, so wait and see what others say."

LINK: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/2292-mt-vs-mtm-characteristics.html

For my application, I'm not as concerned about the ability to play loud. But I do value a speaker's ability to play dynamically and sound clear. One of the (many) issues with my Polk Monitor 70 setup today is that I feel the front sound stage sounds muffled. It became even more evident when I built some Volt 10's as surrounds. It's an interesting day when your surrounds can clean the clock of your large front speakers.

Basically, I'm at the point where I'm going with vertical L/R and a horizontal center. Center is going to be a 1099 or Fusion 8. That's a separate decision in itself. L/R are going to be the matching Fusion or Cinema series. That's what I'm trying to decide right now.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
My 1099 completely crush the polks. My brother has those polks. Its like a Honda civic vs a Porsche. The fusion 15 would be similar to 1099. I had fusion 8mtm before my 1099 and the 1099 is a step up . dialgoe more crisp and accurate

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I hear you man. And like a cheap Civic, I'll end up selling my Polks to some high school/college kid who will beat the living snot out of them and think they are the baddest thing in the world... :)

I just need to figure out where to draw the line from a size and $$ perspective. The problem is that this is AVS and you all are enablers. :) I've got no doubt the 1099 is better. The real question is whether I'll be able to appreciate that incremental difference, given the room dynamics of my HT room (AKA kid's playroom) and the typical streamed source material I use. I had a thread on that at one point, and the overwhelming majority said I could not. That's one of the reasons I've been considering the 1099 center and Fusion 10's for L/R. It gets me a real good demo, without going whole hog. I want to go further I could move the Fusions upstairs for music listening and complete the 1099 set downstairs.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I hear you man. And like a cheap Civic, I'll end up selling my Polks to some high school/college kid who will beat the living snot out of them and think they are the baddest thing in the world... :)

I just need to figure out where to draw the line from a size and $$ perspective. The problem is that this is AVS and you all are enablers. :)
Well yeah we are! What else are friends good for? :p

Have you heard any of the designs or anything comparable? It's hard to grasp the performance difference between the high efficiency designs when your experience is with something completely different like the Polks.

I think the MTM's are the coolest looking by far. However for me, I use the speakers for more than just HT, so I felt the larger coverage of a TM design was the compromise I wanted to make. I'm not sure many even on AVS need the extra output of the MTM designs over the TM(not including 1099/2.5/3way designs).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not heard any of the DIYSG designs before. About 7 or 8 years ago, I had a buddy buy a similar design. I'd just come from college, and it was all about large tower speakers. I pretty much scoffed at how much money he'd spent on these little speakers. Until I heard them. The dynamics and piercing (in a good way) quality of the music was something that just astonished me. I've not seen anyone on here from around Madison that might do a demo, so I think I'm pretty much going to be building on blind faith from all the positive reviews.

I'm of like mind about the larger coverage area of the TM being beneficial. I'm in a 700sqft room, and often listen to music while doing things that are well outside the sweet spot of the listening area.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What do I like the most of 1099 ? Midrange clarity. At all volumes its very noticeable. Voices are sweet. I'd get the 1099 for center. Get lower priced mains and then see.
I'd say you're right, but since this conversation was in general about Fusion v. Cinema, I wasn't trying to direct him to any specific speaker. 1099 is also a 3Way as opposed to the others we're discussing(2Way) so it's a bit of a different animal than this discussion...Right?

IMO MTM vs TM is most importantly about vertical dispersion since I feel like the output of both designs exceeds 99% of anyone's needs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say you're right, but since this conversation was in general about Fusion v. Cinema, I wasn't trying to direct him to any specific speaker. 1099 is also a 3Way as opposed to the others we're discussing(2Way) so it's a bit of a different animal than this discussion...Right?

IMO MTM vs TM is most importantly about vertical dispersion since I feel like the output of both designs exceeds 99% of anyone's needs.
I appreciate keeping it on track, and I think at this point with what I've learned on this thread and some of the other reading I've done I'm going to go with the Fusion series for my L and R. I think the fact that it's a mixed used system tips the scales somewhat in the Fusion's favor. I'm giving up max SPL, but I suspect that's not going to be a huge factor considering I listen at -25. The vertical directivity is a bit more of an unknown, and I suspect the only way to really know if I benefit from it is by having both speakers in the room and AB'ing them. That's where my thought process is at, but I'm open to differing opinions if I've missed something critical.

Now, off topic. As much as I'd like the full LCR 1099 setup, I'm not ready to go there yet. (and besides, I have to leave myself an upgrade path.... :cool: ) @Erich Had mentioned to me in another thread he knew of a lonely 1099 center that might be available. I shot him an email, I'm just waiting to hear back. I also had some questions for him, which I think have now been answered. So if I get lucky, we are probably looking at a 1099 center + Fusion 10 Pure build.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think that will be the best of both worlds based on your criteria. You'll get that nice dialog from the 1099/center, but still have some rockin mains when you want to listen to music around the room. The Fusion 10 Pures will have plenty of excess output compared to your Polks.

I didn't catch it above, but I assume you have a sub. Both of these will need it to fill in the lower octaves. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't catch it above, but I assume you have a sub. Both of these will need it to fill in the lower octaves. ;)
I do. I'm currently rolling with a sealed SI18 @ 1050 watts. I got a little cabin fever a couple weeks ago and happened across some 50% off MDF at Home Depot. I bought it on the spur of the moment and knocked out a MartyCube one weekend afternoon. I got the cart a bit ahead of the horse, because I had not read up on all the phase issues inherent with a mixed sealed and ported system. So it sits until I decide exactly what I want to do. I may figure that out once I finish up my front speakers.

Not all was lost because building the cube was good late winter therapy if nothing else....and I've spent $35 on stupider things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts