AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I've been filtering through alot of threads here and "HTS" and am starting the design of my future theater. I'll let everyone know now that I've never done anything like this and plan on doing everything myself. I do have experience in wiring and carpentry work so I should be good there. I will need help in the future as how to set everything up and "adjust" the acoustics of the room. I want to leave the entry open to other rooms in the basement so it's not technically a "dedicated" theater.

I look forward to take the idea in my head, put in on paper and see it come to life!. I won't be able to get started on it untill early next year and it's probably going to take some time to complete. Again.....Thanks guys and hopefully I can build something to be proud of!

This is not a very large room (17'D x 18'W x 7'10"H) and I'm only looking to go with a curved couch for 4 people but, I'm more than likely going to change things around a few times so we'll see.

this is a 3/4 view looking at the back right corner.... the surrounding walls are not up in this picture

this is the side view where the screen will float off of the floating wall...kinda hard to explain

here is the current basement layout..... I plan on having the water heater and furnace moved into the nook by the steps. I'm trying to figure out how to lay this out and still have a decent sized bedroom as well. Other than the WH and furnace what's laid out is permanent and connot be moved so I have to work around it. .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also on a side note I should add that I plan on making the screen flip upwards with electronic actuators and all of my equipment will be mounted in the wall behind it. I don't want a roll up screen for the simple fact that I want the screen to float off the wall and not hang from the ceiling. Anyone see any issues with this idea?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Have you worked out how you'll do a masking system on the screen? What about speaker placement?

Check my theater in my signature for version 1.1 of a floating screen. I'll be rebuilding it at some point to get an acoustically transparent screen and automated masking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the fronts will be floor standing and the center mounted below the screen. I'm still trying to work out the subs and the rear surrounds. I would like to go with 2 subs if I can..( plan on building a riser in the middle of the room for the couch so they might go in there...dunno yet.

As far as the masking goes....I haven't even thought of that yet.. I'll have to check out your thread to see how you did it to give me an idea. I've still got ALOT of bugs to work out before I have something worth building.

I'm still tweaking the layout of the basement in order to free up a 4th bedroom...Out of the several designs I have drawn up this is the one with the biggest WAF factor.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why a riser for one row of seating? And in 7'10" of height at that (and with those wrap around columns further taking up head room)?

Do you have the front speakers already?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyPyle  /t/1418330/future-basement-build-advise#post_22183741

all of my equipment will be mounted in the wall behind it. Anyone see any issues with this idea?
If it's opaque, you'll have to plan for RF remotes. If it's acoustically transparent, you'll need to check that the lights from the displays don't bleed through the screen - and you still may have to plan on RF remotes. Will there be enough room to walk behind there to load a disc without raising the screen?

A screen like that is a fancy trick - sure to get a lot of wows from guests - but may not be worth the hassle.

Just some thoughts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/1418330/future-basement-build-advise#post_22185495

Why a riser for one row of seating? And in 7'10" of height at that (and with those wrap around columns further taking up head room)?

Do you have the front speakers already?

Yeah I have a set of Stentorians that I built about a few months ago that I plan on using for now.....just need to get a center built and rear surrounds to match. The single riser was just a thought for visual interest....The columns are alot thicker in the rendering than what I plan on doing. I'll have to go in and tweak it a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1418330/future-basement-build-advise#post_22185505

If it's opaque, you'll have to plan for RF remotes. If it's acoustically transparent, you'll need to check that the lights from the displays don't bleed through the screen - and you still may have to plan on RF remotes. Will there be enough room to walk behind there to load a disc without raising the screen?

A screen like that is a fancy trick - sure to get a lot of wows from guests - but may not be worth the hassle.

Just some thoughts

I do "plan on an opaque screen as you mentioned so the RF remotes will be the route I take. The only reason I want it to flip up is to: 1- keep it out of reach from my 2 kids and, 2- I've never seen it done. I do plan on a safty release pin just in case the actuators give out on me.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on alot of this stuff. I believe I have something good going on here and was told by a good friend to come here and get it sorted out by the experts before I commit. I really want this to work and hope somehow I can ( with some help here).

Any and all thoughts are helpful and welcome at this point;)

Edit: I've added the basement layout in post 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts