AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this crazy idea to build a curved SEOs tower speaker (Tempest or Zephyr) but need to have a cnc machine cut me my internal braces that I would use to create the skeleton for the box. I have a quick image that I sent to a local cnc shop for an estimate and I thought I'd show the fellow DIY community here for pointers.

In the image I sketched up I have a front baffle that would be 14.5" wide but there would also be 2" edges on each side that go back and outward at a 45 degree angle making the overall cabinet width 18.5". I've read that a wider baffle for the SEOs designs wouldn't make a big difference since there is no baffle step compensation in the xover designs, correct me if I'm wrong. In the sketch, the gray area in the overall shape of the cabinet from the top view, the black is the cnc brace itself. I have notches cut out that will help me build the cabinet skeleton by using .75" x 2" lumber rips along with a 14.5' x 2.25" front baffle.

The overall height with this type of design would be around 38-40". I'd space these braces out above and below the horn, driver and evenly space them out below. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Suggestions?

I recall seeing a wavy/curved CNC cut enclosure I believe it was found on AE's Facebook page .

Just throwin' that out there, it's not the first time I'd seen that, I think it has significant merit.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
double post

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've been bouncing around a similar plan except using a flat back instead of the 3/4x2 stringers. Rough cut to size on bandsaw (or jig saw) and use a template to cut to final shape on router table. Cut out any braces that conflict with the drivers after getting the shell done. Screw down to work bench and bend multiple layers of thin plywood (

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1505240/future-curved-seos-build-cnc-brace-skeleton-idea#post_24067258

Suggestions?

I recall seeing a wavy/curved CNC cut enclosure I believe it was found on AE's Facebook page .

Just throwin' that out there, it's not the first time I'd seen that, I think it has significant merit.

Good luck

wow, the interior of that cabinet is amazing!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don  /t/1505240/future-curved-seos-build-cnc-brace-skeleton-idea#post_24067433

I've been bouncing around a similar plan except using a flat back instead of the 3/4x2 stringers. Rough cut to size on bandsaw (or jig saw) and use a template to cut to final shape on router table. Cut out any braces that conflict with the drivers after getting the shell done. Screw down to work bench and bend multiple layers of thin plywood (

1 - 7 of 7 Posts