AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm semi-new to HDTV, although I've done quite a bit of research. I love it, I want it, and I've got questions. Here are my circumstances:

I NEVER record, so I'm not real concerned with anti-bootlegging technologies. (Please don't flame me for that!)I really like D* equipment and thinking of buying the Zenith STB. I've decided that I want a Pioneer RPTV. I most likely won't be able to afford the Elite. (P.S. I noticed the new Elite Pro-?20's have the same MSRP as the last version Pro-?10's. What's up with that?)

Questions:

I see that DVI may be the up and coming digital interface. Is it a visually superior connection than component? Would I be an idiot to buy an HDTV monitor and HDTV D* system now? (Again, thinking about the Zenith D* STB and Non-Elite or Elite Pioneer display.) I don't want to waste thousands of dollars now that I could spend on keeping a roof over my head.) Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to get HDTV. All my local networks are supposed to be up and running by May, 2002(Though that remains to be seen.).

Should I wait until the DVI enabled devices come on the market in two to ??? years?

Please don't suggest other displays, places to live, places in time. I have a pretty short attention span and I...what was I saying???

I know there are many contributors against DVI/5C/etc. Unfortunately, I'm in the class of those who want HDTV so bad that you buy the equipment without asking your pregnant wife. I don't want to go back to her with my tail between my legs two years from now asking "Baby, we can use the Pioneer Pro-520 as a baby-changing table. Please let me get the Pro-530!" (BTW, that's the absolute biggest RPTV that will fit in my TV niche. I know, I know, niche is kinda feminine, but it's better that cubbyhole!)

Please steer me straight! And please, dumb it down!

------------------

Center Your Home

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Springmeyer:
I'm semi-new to HDTV <snip>

Should I wait until the DVI enabled devices come on the market in two to ??? years?
Hello Brian.

I have been looking at 16:9, progressive DVD and HDTV for some time now.

At this point I believe that the technology is still so inmature that for some time there will always be a reason to wait.

I have decided to get inexpensive stuff. But then there are issues on reliability and QC in inexpensive displays such as the RCA 38.

So I'm still outside looking in and hating every minute of it.

Best regards.

------------------

Pablo Roufogalis L.

[email protected]
http://www.aretecnica.com/fampg.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.