AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah just a heads up from a pc techie..HDMI is in teh works because DVI cannot support much more than 1280x1024 at 60 hz

i forget the exact numbers but its around there, which is why you see right now many of the large (meaning well into teh 20's for inches) high res (more than 2 million pixels) LCD panels with multiple DVI connectors

i dont know what this means i nteh TV industry since i dont see much applcaition for high rez, but for PC's DVI should be replaced by HDMI within a couple years according to industry experts from a few tech sites that ahve mentioned this.

but HDMI seems to be worth waiting for if anyone knows of any substantial resultion increased in HD anytime soon (which i see as highly unlikey)

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
funko, for those "multiple dvi connectors", do you know if they are single or dual channel ones.

HDMI is dual channel as I understand so if you use more than two single channel dvi, then hdmi is also limited as well.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by funko
HDMI is in teh works because DVI cannot support much more than 1280x1024 at 60 hz
A single TMDS link supports resolutions and timings using a video clock rate of 25-165 MHz. This is sufficient bandwidth to support:

SXGA resolution (1280 x 1024) with 85-Hz refresh rate

UXGA resolution (1600 x 1200) with 60-Hz refresh rate

SDTV resolutions of 480i, 480p, 576i and 576p

HDTV resolutions of 720p and 1080i

I may be wrong, but I don't believe HDMI provides any more bandwidth than single-link DVI. It's only a 19 pin connector (compared to 24 for DVI-D) and it carries digital audio and AV.link in addition to video.

Additionally, the new HDMI connector is likely to become a cornerstone piece of technology in (Fritz Hollings) CBDTPA legislation that will screw us all out of our fair use rights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.