AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt my movie room 4 times since 2011. This site has driven me to spend 10's of thousands of dollars. Everyone has such great ideas. I usually want to do want I read on here. That being said, time to start another brand new build. my garage has become just a catch all of crap and storage. So the wife said kids need a place to play and not bother us how about you give up some of that movie room. We almost had a divorce. I have the entire basement one half is for my movie room the other half is for my sports memorabilia. So I'll comprise and move my theater out to the garage. When I initially built my theater it was back in 2006 and never heard of AVS forum. So I didnt do any sound proofing etc. Ive learned alot over the years and would like to incorporate that into this build. Time to spend another 20 grand. Please free feel to chime in. I dont pretend to know everything or even half of anything. I posted pictures of the different set ups Ive had since 2011. This site has made me never completely finish my theater. I started building today. I install the subfloor over the concrete garage. I put poly down and 2" rigid foam. Laid flat saw milled (REAL) 2"x10"x11'. Then installed 2" foam between the 2x10. Giving me an R20 value. It gets wicked cold in the Northeast. I started building the 2nd row. 7' long for the second row. My theater is 11x21x9. My first question is the block wall that jets out into the room. What is the best way to deal with that? Install the clips directly to the block and install 1" rigid foam? Thanks for looking and following me as I build yet again. I am hoping for a finish date of September 1st 2015.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
That's alot to take in. Good luck on the theater and the marriage.

What is that block wall? Part of the home's foundation? I wonder if you could build a 2x4 wall to stand on top of it and go up to the ceiliing, allowing you to sheetrock it. Or perhaps build a wall on the inside of that wall from floor to ceiling. I've never seen that type of construction so somebody smarter than I may have to help you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the foundation to the garage. I was thinking that but didn't want to lose much room. I was going to shot the clips right to the block wall. Figured that would be the best way to tackle it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally found the hemmed Hi Hat. I can't believe 12' 25ga costs $2.87 each. Stuff got expensive. Now I have to order the green glue. My question would be, is it worth the added expense? Has anyone just done the clips and 2 layers, without green glue? I'm using plywood as the first layer. Acoustical insulation panels for the ceiling. 4" 2x4 panels. Would I see an added benefit using green glue and how much of a difference? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in the city and the neighbors are basically 15 feet away and they are all old. I rather be safe then the cops knocking on my door. Garage isn't attached I want to sound proof for peace of mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made some progress this week. Installed half the clips and hi hat on the ceiling. I'll do the other half after I take the garage door off. I'm putting no lights in the ceiling to keep holes out. I'll build columns after and install lighting in them. Floor and riser are completed so it's moving along. I purchased insulation panels and going to try and have the walls done this weekend. Like to have blue board hung by the end of May.
I'm leaning not to use green glue. Everything I've looked at it appears you only see a +5 in stc. I just don't think its worth the money for such a small bump. Can green glue make that much of a difference?
Been researching like crazy on speakers. I'm coming from Bose, didn't know any better. I've had my eye on GoldenEar Trinton 3, SVS and RSL. So many different options my head is ready to explode. I already have the SVS 2000 and I love it. I figured SVS Ultras would be a great option. GoldenEar is still pulling at me though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Looks like your garage is not attached to the house. Am I incorrect though?
If it is not attached to the house, why bother sound proofing (ie why bother trying to stop family members outside the theater
from hearing the movie sounds?).

How about the flip side to sound proofing? A low noise floor in the theater, should be a high priority design goal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never rebuilt only redesigned. My theaters in the basement with no sound proofing only 1/2" blue board. I have little kids so speakers never crossed my mind before because of sound. They weren't bad. But then I heard the Triton 3's and didn't know I was missing so much.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Give Ted a call at the SoundProofing Company and ask him about the GG. Those guys have never put on a hard sale when I've spoken to them, and have actually talked me into down-graded on my soundproofing a couple times. They will shoot straight with you regarding whether or not the GG is in your best interest.

That said, in the grand scheme of things (budget in particular) the cost of the GG is not that much compared to the total cost of the room.

EDIT: Have you considered having an acoustic plan or pro layout done? Nyal is a good resource there!

Have you looked into the DIY Soundgroup offerings for speakers? You can save a bundle on speakers if you're willing to put in a little time.

I'm still chewing on the block at the bottom of your room, but I'm thinking you may be better off framing around it to conserve space above it. That would give you a little more space to mount speakers and columns.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I'm calling Ted today. I ran short of clips. I'll ask him. The block wall I was going to see if I could just shoot the clip to the block, I hope I can. They are solid Block so it would work.
I'm too busy to build speakers. I wish I had more time. Time is money and I rather spend 5 grand to buy speakers and be done with it.
I really never thought about paying someone to layout my job. That's what I get paid to do. I know they are much smarter when it come to home theaters than I am but I just can't bring myself to do it. Call it a pride thing.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
You can skip the general layout - the positioning of the seats, screen, PJ, etc. - and just have an acoustic plan done. That's the part that I think it is really difficult for the typically DIY'er to get it right. You can get close with what your read here on the forums, but there is a lot of misinformation floating around as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to John from soundproofing company and bought the green glue. He sold me on the benefits. Great guy and answered all my questions. Figures this site makes me drop another grand.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts