AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a large screen HDTV and have reviewed a ton of different sets and technologies. To me, the Toshiba LCoS was the set with the best picture. However, the cost is too high for now, especially since it doesn't include a DTV tuner.

What is the news on future LCoS TVs? I know that Sony plans on producing one this summer, any others? What are the expected prices for the next generation? I also hope to see a reduction in the weight. The Toshiba is a pig!!!

irfoton

·
Registered
37 Posts
There may be some much cheaper models coming from Taiwan TV makers. LCoS-based RPTV prototypes from Sampo and Kolin were unveiled late 2002/early 2003. They may be in the process of tweaking these designs since there are lots to be desired in terms of picture quality. The sets should cost half that of comparable-sized PDPs.

Alan Hsu

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is no clear evidence that Sony is bringing its LCOS to RPTV anytime soon -- if at all. They might well, but not by this summer. Even the front projector -- which will likely be first -- won't be out this summer.

I'd look for demos of whatever actual products that Sony is planning at CEDIA.

Mark

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sony will not be releasing LCos sets. they have there own technology that they will be releasing Sxrd.

And supposally looks fantasic and has a true resolution of 1920x1080

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think my memory is playing tricks on me. I can't remember which mag (maybe Stereophile's guide to Home Theater) I read that referred to Sony using LCoS or similar technology. But now that my memory is jogged it did say the first Sony products would likely be a front projector. (And I thought Sxrd was similar to LCoS.) But what about Toshiba? Will they be offering a smaller LCoS set in the near future? After seeing the LCoS PQ , I've decided to wait for a complete HDTV w/tuner in either plasma or LCoS. The Samsung DLP, while nice, didn't do it for me.

irfoton

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From Sony's original Press Release:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_489.htm

"The new SXRD device is ideal for virtually any demanding application where high definition content must be delivered in the most accurate way possible. Its features and capabilities allow for possible future use in both front projectors and rear projection television devices. Sony will introduce SXRD products during 2003 for the U.S. market."

irfoton

·
Registered
946 Posts
I was at my dealer yesterday switching out a receiver and the owner of the store and one of the salesmen were talking about a new Mits coming out. It is Lcos, 82", and will retail for $21k.

I asked if they would take my wifes car as a trade in.

Thats all the information I really picked up.

Neal

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
There is no clear evidence that Sony is bringing its LCOS to RPTV anytime soon -- if at all.
I'm not sure what you consider "clear evidence", but if you believe what Sony themselves have stated in their own press release, I would say that is their plan:
Quote:
Sony aims to introduce front projectors and rear projection products incorporating this technology to the market within the next fiscal year.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200302/03-008E/

ron

·
Registered
187 Posts
The HD3 DMD Chip from TI that should come out soon is supose to be a 1080p chip. So when this comes out it should be priced much lower than current LCOS sets. I for one am waiting for one day when a 3-chip DLP RP TV will be made. Hopefully by the end of next year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After doing some "goggling" I found this for sub $5K LCoS TVs.

From Phillips: "New in rear-projection HDTV monitors was Philips' first line of HD monitors based on the single-chip Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) micro-display technology. The technology will be offered in four models in two feature classes ? MatchLine and Epic.

The technology is said to be capable of driving extra large-size TV screens with short-depth requirements, lightweight cabinets and high-quality HDTV images (1,280 by 720 native resolution).

Models will include, in the Epic Series, the 55W-inch 55PL9523 ($3,999.99 suggested retail) and 44W-inch 44PL9523 ($3,499.99), and in the MatchLine series featuring Pixel Plus, the 55W-inch 55PL9773 ($4,299.99) and the 44W-inch 44PL9773 ($3,899.99). All four LCoS units will ship in the summer.

Philips' LCoS televisions are based on a single digital reflective panel, enabled by a proprietary system of synchronized rotating prisms to produce and mix the primary red, green and blue colors. Other features in the displays include Digital Natural Motion and Digital Crystal Clear video processing technology, two-tuner double window PIP, and HD component and DVI broadband video inputs."

Seeing as these are single panel LCoS, I presume a color wheel will be needed.

irfoton

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irfoton
Philips' LCoS televisions are based on a single digital reflective panel, enabled by a proprietary system of synchronized rotating prisms to produce and mix the primary red, green and blue colors. Other features in the displays include Digital Natural Motion and Digital Crystal Clear video processing technology, two-tuner double window PIP, and HD component and DVI broadband video inputs."

Seeing as these are single panel LCoS, I presume a color wheel will be needed.

irfoton
There is no color wheel according to this release. Check the "synchronized rotating prisms".

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is no evidence the HD3 DMD with 1080p resolution is coming out soon. Maybe it will, but only because of announcements like Sonys.

Sony's SXRD is LCOS. It's just Sony's implementation of LCOS.

Mark

R11=ignore list

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rogo,

I don't think SXRD is completely LCoS. There press release compares it to LCoS as if LCoS is different. However, I think both SXRD and LCoS are reflective based technologies as opposed to tranmissive.

irfoton

Nevermind - after reading more it looks like Sony just developed a method to build LCoS cheaper and better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Sony's SXRD is LCOS. It's just Sony's implementation of LCOS.
Mark, you beat me to it. ;)

Sean

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
VTBoy:

FYI, Barco, Digital Projection, and Christie Digital payed TI $10 million each to be "D-Cinema" partners...... as part of this agreement, they have exclusive rights to chips with resolutions higher resolutions than the home theater "HD" line of DLP chips....

HD3 will be a single-chip 720p product with an SRC Archmedes color wheel...

If you are expecting much more than this prepare yourself for a big disapointment....

P.S. LCOS tech is superior to DLP in some ways too...

P.P.S. There is no Santa Claus

·
Registered
187 Posts
KLee The D-Cinema use the 3-Chip design I dont see why they would care if a high resolution design came out for the home user.

You say the HD3 will only be 720p with a Color wheel, how as that different than now. I am sure the HD3 will have some major improvment, you make it seem like its only a small difference.

Also If you seem to know about the HD3 would it be able to produce trillions of colors like the 3-chip design.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Those three companies paid a combined sum of $30 mill so that D-Cinema would have a higher performing, higher resolution soloution (which is currently a 2048X1080 3-chip design, IIRC)

I said it would have the *SRC* color wheel....you do know what that is, don't you?

As for the 3-chip DMDs, here is a quote from Peter J. Broas from Texas Instruments 2 days ago:

Quote:
Currently we are working with a number of manufacturing partners to bring the recognized benefits of the 3-chip DLP™ architecture to a new range of end-users. Recently manufacturers such as Panasonics, Barco, and Digital Projection have announced a new generation of either XGA or SXGA products to serve a variety of applications. These units are smaller than their predecessors, and more affordable. This new generation of products will increasingly target mid-range applications and deliver 3-chip DLP™ performance and reliability in substantially more compact projectors and at price points in the $20K –$30K range.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2

So 20 to 30 grand for your 3 chip DLP :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.