AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fan of CRT projector and currently owned one. I would like to upgrade it to another CRT projector but a bit concerned about the availability of parts (like eplacement lens) in the next 8 or 9 years time as new format (DLP, and LCD) are getting more popular. What is your idea on this ?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Lens should never go bad unless the projector is subject to some type of physical abuse. The CRT however do go bad. If you buy a NEC, EHome or some models of Barco the CRTs can be rebuilt. Video Display Corp. (The CRT rebuilder) has purchased the former division of EHome that produced CRT projectors this should assure the availably of CRTs in the future. CRT projectors are very well build industral devices that should last a very long time with proper care.

Mike

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are SOOOOO many CRT projectors which were manufactured over the past decade. I personally believe that CRT projectors will be around as a theater viewing option for the rest of my lifetime, and I'm 30.

As more and more businesses, and schools convert to lower quality and lower maintenance LCD based projectors, they will continue selling off the old CRT's. There are still a lot of projectors for buying and if you think about the life of a CRT projector, for a home theater especially, 10 years out of a good CRT with great tubes shouldn't be out of the question.

Part prices will probably start going up a bit. But for videophile quality home theater, the market could very well become saturated with CRT projectors for those willing to deal with the CRT's eccentricities in order to achieve the perfect picture.

My $.02

Oz

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Vincent,

it would depend on which model CRT projector you are upgrading to, for some the parts could become a problem within the next five years, for others parts could be available for many many years to come.

To this day the image quality of a high end CRT projector is still the best thing out there. The digital technology (DLP/LCD) is still growing and getting better, but it's still a big baby in a crib. I don't think that parts will be a problem for the commercial grade projectors that we are using in our home theater systems. Rarely will you need parts like: yokes, flybacks, transformers, and some other common failure components that are so problematic on consumer products. Models like:

Sony, Barco, Electrohome, NEC, and a few others will have parts available for a very long time to come, it is still a money maker for them, plus they have to supply parts for the units that they have already sold (5 to 7 years).

DLP is getting better, and it looks good. But just like the rest of the digital technology it has that PLASTIC look (and I've seen the three chip units). LCD is and will always be the worst of the technology. None of the present technology (digital) will never outperform CRT. I am hoping for a newer technology in the future that will not be a pixel base image. That will probably take about another twenty years. Every engineer that I have spoke to has stated that none of the present technology will ever render the image quality of CRT technolgy.

If the day comes when I'll no longer be able to watch a CRT projector in my home theater, and if no newer technology is available that is not pixel base display, I'll just go to my bedroom and watch my 20" Sony. the thought of watching movies on a large screen and looking at that electric looking image, with all of the flesh tones the exact same, fog, and dancing and moving dots on the screen gives me chills. Digital is excellent for computer displays, but is not there for CLEAN video...

If you own a CRT projector, you are in the right camp. I'm also going to upgrade to ANOTHER CRT projector. But be careful in your upgrade process. It is very important to purchase a used projector from the right source, there are many hi-end used projectors out there, but you could get a bad one very easy. If you are looking to upgrade do a search for Tim Martin, Curt Palme...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I agree with everything MP says. I also understand that parts have become unavailable for certain projectors. Provided there were lots of a model produced, parts will be obtainable from scrapped units. In fact for many projectors with burnt tubes, the parts are worth more than the whole, just like in a car. New parts will be another issue. Most parts are not made by a projector company. They are made by others and purchased. Take CRT tubes. Take plasma tubes for a non CRT example. From what I hear, Panasonic, the CRT supplier for several brands of projectors will no longer make 8 and 9 inch tubes. So we keep our old ones alive by having the tubes rebuilt rather than replaced with new ones. Perhaps someone will manufacturer new tubes, perhaps Panasonic will continue to manufacture them. Lots can happen in the future. As long as VDC continues to offer a rebuilding service for a fair price, all will be cool. If VDC for some reason in the future does not continue, we will be up that famous creek unless someone else steps in. Things get iffy when only one parts supplier remains. I am not worried. I have a new set of tubes in my machine, have a spare set, and maintain my machine well. Its like a high performance sports car, requires more work than my miata. For me, my projector has to be a 9 inch CRT. Nothing lesser has the performance I crave. It will be running on the road, every day, for a long long time to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.