AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at a 65" + TV. The Sammy HL-67a750 kind of jumps out in that forum, and on Cnet, but we are concerned that it appears DLP is on its way out as a technology. The viewing angles aren't an issue for our room, just really a concern over the future of this type of product. Any thoughts on what will replace DLP in the affordable large screen (my def, $3000 or less) market and should we hold off our purchase? The Laservue may be real nice, but pretty pricey. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
DLP is killing themselves because of the idiots who run their divisions. DLP needs to get away from color wheels and focus on LED. 50" and above flat panels are still quite expensive. This is where DLP could attack with sub $2k 60-80" models. At CES, not only was there not a single DLP RPTV announced, but no LED projectors either.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrehm /forum/post/15573236

We are looking at a 65" + TV. The Sammy HL-67a750 kind of jumps out in that forum, and on Cnet, but we are concerned that it appears DLP is on its way out as a technology. The viewing angles aren't an issue for our room, just really a concern over the future of this type of product. Any thoughts on what will replace DLP in the affordable large screen (my def, $3000 or less) market and should we hold off our purchase? The Laservue may be real nice, but pretty pricey. Thanks!

DLP has essentially been on a phase out trip for awhile now but that doesn't mean there aren't bargains to be had and not worth looking at. For a budget minded person that is willing to accept the inherent flaws associated with the technology it can be a pretty decent big screen experience. With plasmas and LCD prices coming down there likely isn't a replacement technology around the corner just yet as any new technology will likely be expensive for awhile.

·
Registered
45 Posts
DLP is on the way out but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a DLP set if you can find what you're looking for. The manufacturers will likely still support these sets with replacement parts for a few years. And by the time you can no longer have your old DLP set repaired there should be other affordable display technologies available to fill the void. A good extended warranty is a must though for any TV (Plasma, LCD or DLP).

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Regretfully DLPs RPTVs are on thier way out with Mits apparently the only vendor that will still be making them by later this year.

This is not suprising since most HDTV salesman in stores are either comissioned or have a revenue quota to meet to support their salary and therefore do not want to sell DLPs.

The large screen LCDs keep coming down in price and are now competive with DLPs in the lower 50" screen sizes and will continue to bring their prices down.

Manufacturers have to continue to have spare parts available for 5 years so buying an LED unit now at what are apparently close out prices is a wise investment.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you're looking for a 65" or larger screen look carefully at the 2009 Mitsubishi DLPs and current modes from Mits and Samsung. Sounds like you're a good candidate for DLP. Nothing dumb about buying one of these bargains. Most of us who have them are tickled pink. Let's see, $1000-$1500 for 60+ inches @1080p or the same for 42/46". Hmmmmm. Yeah, tickled pink.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't believe it's the size of the sets that has killed them off.... I believe it has everything to do with the off-angle viewing. Having owned a CRT RPTV for many years (circa 2004 Hitachi HD model) I can say the off-angle viewing is the #1 complaiant from visiting family members. It's not so much a compliant as just a discussion point. The conversation will go something like this

Family member/friend (after standing up in the middle of a movie and noticing the picture lost 30% of it's brightness):
"So doesn't that bother you?"

Me: "No, I never watch television standing and our furniture is arranged so that everyone gets a good angle... Doesn't bother me"

Family member/friend (now with disgusted look):
"I would never in a million years on a television like that"

We can all pretend the off-angle viewing isn't a big deal and I would bet for many of us, it really isn't... (I don't care and neither does my wife) but for most people it is a HUGE deal. The see it as a sacrifice and a downgrade from what they are use to... While LCD and Plasma have their own unique set of issues (well, LCD seems to have fewer each day), the public has really spoken.

As I say all of this I'm continuing to hit "refresh" on the Circuit City website waiting to see what the liquidators are going to set the price of the DLP RPTV sets to. I very much intend to purchase one of the LED based DLP 750 series Sammy models.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Off angle viewing on the 750 sammy is MUCH better than my old CRT RPTV. I notice no changes when sitting or standing (which we do when playing wii). Off angle viewing is very good also.

·
Registered
929 Posts
rmz76, initially I've had a bit of that snob reaction from friends who spent more for their smaller flatpanels but the tune changes after they get comfy and watch the game or movie. They start saying, "Did you get that calibrated?" "I didn't know rear projection was that crisp." "Man, that looks great!"

And guess who's going to have a full house Sunday for the playoffs...

I'd hate to watch the SuperBowl on a 42" screen.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrehm /forum/post/15573236

...Any thoughts on what will replace DLP in the affordable large screen (my def, $3000 or less) market and should we hold off our purchase? ...

It looks as if the future (well next decade anyway) will belong to LED-lit LCD. With new gen-10 plants coming on line in 2010, it looks as if sets up to 65 inches or so may be available at affordable prices. Local-dimming will be premium models, edge-lit the more affordable ones.

Beyond that size, larger screen sizes should be reserved for front-projection. DLP and LCoS chips will dominate this market for some time. Expect front-projectors to improve, with longer lamp life (maybe using a laser light source) and easier mounting and control, perhaps using optical cables to make mounting and aiming easier.

Beyond the next decade, who knows what's coming? Maybe flexible OLED screens that can be unrolled like a tapestry? 3-D holograms? Life is interesting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I disagree with rmz76 - I don't believe the off angle viewing had much, if anything, to do with DLP's apparent iminent demise. It was the hundreds of millions of marketing dollars spent convincing consumers that thin TVs that you could hang on a wall are sexy, and everything else is old fashioned. I purchased a Samsung 67" LED DLP this fall from Amizon and have never for a minute regretted my decision. But of course, I purchase based on value, not what's trendy. As someone else above said, those who spent twice as much money on their 42-50" plasmas always seem to migrate to my 67" Sammy come NFL playoff time, or to watch a good BluRay concert DVD. .

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Parts Suppliers raising costs (Texas Instruments) helped Samsumg decide not to continue DLP's

My $0.02 cents

·
Registered
462 Posts
I believe the demise of DLP, and all rear projection tech(RIP LCD, LCoS), can be attributed to two things: Marketing hype that makes the consumers want "sexy" flat panel displays(with higher profit margins for Co's and stores) and the profit margins fell too low, too fast for manufacturers. I own a flat panel and DLP RP(and had an LCD RP before that, till Sony stepped out of the RP market). The flat panel is in my bedroom where I don't need a HUGE screen and size is more of a concern, and the large(73") DLP is in my den in my HT set-up. I don't really care about being able to hang something on my wall or the super thin form factor. As long as I can get a large screen with good PQ at a reasonable price for the features/quality, I don't care, it just so happens, that RP has been the way to accomplish that. I'm gonna hate to see RP go the way of the dinosaur because currently, attainable flat panels are topping out at 70" and cost as much as a small car. And the few that are bigger, cost as much as a small house. If they can fill the large screen void with flat panels that are "affordably" priced, then I'm fine with DLP going away, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. I guess I'll be going front projection next time around.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/15583121

Parts Suppliers raising costs (Texas Instruments) helped Samsumg decide not to continue DLP's

My $0.02 cents

If that was the case, why did they lower the prices on their DLP models more than once in the last year? I'll bet their costs went lower since this current line was introduced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought DLP was trying to find new life in micro devices? Handheld/cellphone projectors and the like.

Like a few others here I also feel a T.V. need not be flat...in fact in my room it would not work so well at all as my couch is 25 deg off were it would need to hang and i feel an arm holding a LCD/Plasma off the wall at such an angle would just look odd.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 /forum/post/15584279

It's not coming. Check out the HL72A650 or Mitsubishis. Bulbs are good.

I really like the sammys more than the mitsubishis but I want a 72' TV. Is really sad that samsung decided not to manufacture new models in that size. Does mitsubishi is planning to introduce any led or lazer dlp tv this year?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris /forum/post/15573387

DLP is DOA.

DLP certainly wasn't DOA. But it does appear that it's approaching EOL, at least for RPTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 /forum/post/15576403

Family member/friend (after standing up in the middle of a movie and noticing the picture lost 30% of it's brightness):
"So doesn't that bother you?"

Me: "No, I never watch television standing and our furniture is arranged so that everyone gets a good angle... Doesn't bother me"

Family member/friend (now with disgusted look):
"I would never in a million years on a television like that"

We can all pretend the off-angle viewing isn't a big deal and I would bet for many of us, it really isn't... (I don't care and neither does my wife) but for most people it is a HUGE deal.

Honestly, my current DLP based set has MUCH better viewing angles and less of a hot spot than my previous (Sony) CRT-RPTV. It really is not a noticeable issue for us, and our friends offer to bring their current Netflixed movies over so they can watch on our TV instead of their own (which never really excites me, since they get SD DVDs). But to be fair, this isn't a DLP issue, it's an RPTV issue, and varies from model to model depending on how much gain they are trying to get out of the screen. When I was shopping, I was originally intent on a 67A750, but ended up being drawn to the Mitsubishis, partly because of their better viewing angles and less noticeable hot spot. I've read the bulb based Sammys are also better than the LED models, but I never compared those.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts