AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally upgraded my 5 year old Showstopper 2000 for a 5xxx series. While still on my 3 day grace period before activation, I am putting it to the feature test to see if it is really that much better then the HS2000. The COOLEST and most amazing feature is the one that Replay doesn't even talk about which is the ability to access content with DVArchive. This feature alone will drive me to keep the unit and activate the service.

What is Replay's position on this type of software?

Will they ever do an online upgrade that will prevent it from functioning?

I know Replay monitors this forum, so please take my customer feedback that this is a great capability and adds tremendous value to your product - disabling it in the future would be a reason to evaluate other products.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
DVArchive is entirely unsupported by Replay. They turn a blind eye towards it as long as folks using it/creating it don't rock the boat by adding features that could risk Replay's health as a product line. For example, if somebody were to write into DVArchive a KAZAA type feature to share shows, I guarantee that Replay would take steps to stop the use of this great tool.

Sure they could upload new software to your box that would make DVArchive stop working. My guess is that the very smart and talented people here would figure out what happened and release a new version of the software pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure this has happened in the past.

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketbeagle
I finally upgraded my 5 year old Showstopper 2000 for a 5xxx series. While still on my 3 day grace period before activation, I am putting it to the feature test to see if it is really that much better then the HS2000. The COOLEST and most amazing feature is the one that Replay doesn't even talk about which is the ability to access content with DVArchive. This feature alone will drive me to keep the unit and activate the service.

What is Replay's position on this type of software?

Will they ever do an online upgrade that will prevent it from functioning?

I know Replay monitors this forum, so please take my customer feedback that this is a great capability and adds tremendous value to your product - disabling it in the future would be a reason to evaluate other products.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
DVArchive is entirely unsupported by Replay. They turn a blind eye towards it as long as folks using it/creating it don't rock the boat by adding features that could risk Replay's health as a product line. For example, if somebody were to write into DVArchive a KAZAA type feature to share shows, I guarantee that Replay would take steps to stop the use of this great tool.
I'm sure everyone at ReplayTV knows about DVArchive, likes DVArchive and uses DVArchive, but you'll never hear them talk about it.

Take them out for beers and I'll bet you'll hear them praising the software. =)

I'm sure Justin could tell you.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Funny thing was you'd never hear the replayTV folks talking about a disk upgrade either.

Then when the 5ks came out you started hearing reports of techs telling users to reimage the drive using patch_rtv.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I'm sure everyone at ReplayTV knows about DVArchive, likes DVArchive and uses DVArchive, but you'll never hear them talk about it.

Take them out for beers and I'll bet you'll hear them praising the software. =)

I'm sure Justin could tell you.
That's kinda my point. They turn a blind eye, because DVArchive is, in fact, a benefit to the 4 and 5K lines. They would be foolish to make attempts squash usage, but they need to tread a fine line. And that line lies squarely on file sharing.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Told my buddy (who bought a Tivo 1 month before I bought Replay) about DVArchive. He went from jealousy to becoming a Replay owner. His folks got the "hand me down" Tivo. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Once again......... thanks to Gerry and all those who come up with these brilliant ideas and the ways to implement them.

Our RTV's are that much more valuable and useful because of their hard work.

Way to go, guys!!

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I really think DVArchive has changed the way I use my Replay. I just think it is the best idea.

I use mine fully automated. It downloads at night and archives shows I haven't had time to watch.... totally awesome.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maxtor ought to thank Gerry as well as Replay. I've purchased many gigs of drive space to throw into my DVArchive box.

It's as cool as it gets!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.