AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't really looked into the software side of DVD-A and SACD until I had some capability; having done so now am very dubious about their long-term viability. Given that MP3 is okay w/most people and few sit and listen to multichannel, is there ever going to be an 'explosion of software', or do people see these as small niche products?

I like the sound of the DVD-A's I have, but titles I'm interested in are few.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nobody has found the thing to make sales take off on these. With CD it was reissuing the Beatles that really got the ball rolling about 5 years after the format was first released.

They just reissued the Rolling Stones, The Police and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to SACD without much hype, but I think those put SACD in the lead right now. It's going to be a while before one format wins out if either one can end up being successful.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a combo player and like both formats, but the only way to take advantage of high resolution audio is to do it in a quality theater/media room. Unfortunately I do not have nearly the time I used to for critical listening and listen to music in my car or while doing chores around the house...in which case CD or MP3 quality is fine because I am moving around and making noise anyway. Essentially I believe there are a lot of factors that will influence the success or failure of SACD or DVD-A and not the least of which is time to sit and listen to the music.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simonsez
I have a combo player and like both formats, but the only way to take advantage of high resolution audio is to do it in a quality theater/media room. Unfortunately I do not have nearly the time I used to for critical listening and listen to music in my car or while doing chores around the house...in which case CD or MP3 quality is fine because I am moving around and making noise anyway. Essentially I believe there are a lot of factors that will influence the success or failure of SACD or DVD-A and not the least of which is time to sit and listen to the music.
I agree. There are too many factors competing for our disposable time and income. My music listening is pretty much relegated to my automobile (XM sat radio) and HT time at home is pretty much reserved for a couple of movies or programs a week in HD. There simply aren't enough hours in the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.