AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthrift /forum/post/16974808

Even if just webguide happened I would be excited but hopefully that and others will show up.

i got the impression that webguide is available now, even though i heard here it wasn't.

i don't use it so i never checked it out.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Because they don't want to run the risk of being fined if someone exploits media center to bypass AACS content protection.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I expect that nothing will change. Having used 7MCE for the last 6 months or so I came to realize that if not for the 3rd party apps like Media Browser, MyMovies and Second Run MCE would be overshadowed by all the other front ends.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken /forum/post/16977290

I expect that nothing will change. Having used 7MCE for the last 6 months or so I came to realize that if not for the 3rd party apps like Media Browser, MyMovies and Second Run MCE would be overshadowed by all the other front ends.

becuase media portal with all there plugins would be much better?

or xmbc?

plugins in make the product, no denying, yet none of those other front ends have the polish or feel of MCE.

but im bias i tried the rest and i love MCE.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gEExr /forum/post/16976860

Newbie Question- Why can't MS support Blu-Ray playback in Media Center??

Because there is a per unit licensing fee and MS felt that the costs associated with including Blu-Ray playback are too large to pass on to the public. If I remember correctly MS estimated that it would add an additional $30 to each version of windows that included it. But with MCML companies and individuals are now easily able to create plugins that integrate seamlessly with MCE to allow Blu-Ray playback. (PowerDVD 9 and TotalMedia Theatre 3)

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16974668

I have high hopes.

History would not seem to bear that out

I read the article, and if (and IMO that's an enormous IF) they offer real Dish Network support, integrate Managed Copy, and come up with some non POS extenders (ie one's that aren't crippled, like supporting DVD rips, and full functionality on something other than the 360)....

If they do all that, then it would be mighty tempting to switch from SageTV. The polish is attractive no doubt. But at the moment IMO it doesn't make up for the missing functionality.

I have pretty much everything Engadget is theorizing might happen right now in Sage with an HD PVR, HD200 extenders, and my media server. I can play all my DVD rips, Blu-ray rips, record and play back Dish HD (in HD).....

So yeah, if they manage to pull in Managed Copy (and the studios don't price it to kill it), add DVD rip support to the extenders (I've heard nothing about), add some new extenders with full functionality, and add Dish support, and do it in a way that's nicely integrated without any gotchas (like can't play the recordings on anything, errant recording lockouts, etc) they'll have a mighty impressive and attractive package.

If they deliver everything.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/16980107

ben failed to point out the more obvious products and features that will be announced at cedia by msft:

1. new extenders that play ripped dvds and bds

2. softsled

3. customizable start menu

softsled would be nice, then we can start making our own extenders...

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gEExr /forum/post/16976860

Newbie Question- Why can't MS support Blu-Ray playback in Media Center??

Because the EU will fine them for providing something users want. Including a web browser with the OS (like all other OS makers do) garnered them a huge fine, after all.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If anyting MS should offer up a BD Playback Pack for Media Center option for it's customers and changer $30 or $40 for it. I'm sure that many people out there would buy that for the integration in to Media Center.

Being that both Dish and DirectTV pulled out on thier tuner products my last hope is for the HDPVR to get support (not a hack where I lose my local ATSC channels either).

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari /forum/post/17032316

If anyting MS should offer up a BD Playback Pack for Media Center option for it's customers and changer $30 or $40 for it. I'm sure that many people out there would buy that for the integration in to Media Center.

If it were that simple, surely Cyberlink, or Corel would have done it by now don't you think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts