AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Direct TV's package site, they state that the HD package is $11/mo through 12/03...Any info if the price will go up after that?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Still. I guess we do wonder if these HD packages that D* and E* have. Will these persists with the introductions of new channels? Will the new channels just be included in the packages we have? Will these be a Package #2 which we must also subscribe? If they are just added to the current package, will that package increase in price?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Still. I guess we do wonder if these HD packages that D* and E* have. Will these persists with the introductions of new channels? Will the new channels just be included in the packages we have? Will these be a Package #2 which we must also subscribe? If they are just added to the current package, will that package increase in price?
I wouldn't expect any additional packages/channels to be at no additional charge now that the precedent of making them a premium has been set.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fourthstooge
I wouldn't expect any additional packages/channels to be at no additional charge now that the precedent of making them a premium has been set.
If I were to wager on this, I'd guess just the opposite. Should DirecTV add any more "basic cable" type HD channels, I would bet they will be included in the HD package with no increase (for now) in the price of the package.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would think they would add them without an increase as well.

Don't forget the subscriber base will rapidly increase as people start seeing this as the best option for HD.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I don't expect a price increase until >2 HD channels are added.

Given we aren't likely to see >2 more HD channels in the package before late March of April of next year, I would not expect a price increase before then.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
I don't expect a price increase until >2 HD channels are added.

Given we aren't likely to see >2 more HD channels in the package before late March of April of next year, I would not expect a price increase before then.
I know there's been a lot of speculating, but have you heard anything concrete that they'll add even ONE more HD channel before late march or april of next year? My guess would be that they won't add any additional channels until they have at least 2 or 3 more, at which time they'll either add it to the existing package with maybe a $2 increase or they'll create a second package (more likely if they have at least 3 more channels to add) and start a sliding price scale similar to what they do now with their existing movie and sports packages - i.e. $12, $11, $10, etc., you know, the old "the more you buy, the more you save" routine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whether or not they raise the price of their HD package, or have a "free" HD package or anything else will be in large part dependent on what Echostar and now Voom offer, the prices they charge, and how successful they are. And of course, how soon Murdoch succeeds in acquiring the service and whether or not he follows his pattern elsewhere of undercutting the competition to drive them out of business. DirecTv does not operate in a vacuum.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JIFISH
DirecTv does not operate in a vacuum.
Only their CSRs do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Depends on how much, if any, they would raise the price. One way or the other I am about ready to drop HBO and SHO HD stations. They are disappointing for the most part and I am finding myself watching them less and less. The new HD package has been worth the dough so far. I think that they have done a good job and it has been money well spent in my case.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Whether or not they raise the price of their HD package, or have a "free" HD package or anything else will be in large part dependent on what Echostar and now Voom offer, the prices they charge, and how successful they are.
Exactly, and don't forget cable. Comcast is getting very aggresive in HD. As with most things, pricing will be determined by what the market will bear. HD is the "new frontier" for acquiring a competitive edge. I don't see any of them allowing themselves to get too far out of line with the other.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Whether or not they raise the price of their HD package, or have a "free" HD package or anything else will be in large part dependent on what Echostar and now Voom offer, the prices they charge, and how successful they are. And of course, how soon Murdoch succeeds in acquiring the service and whether or not he follows his pattern elsewhere of undercutting the competition to drive them out of business. DirecTv does not operate in a vacuum.
I have NO knowledge of ANY kind, but I suspect they will not do anything much until after the sale to News Corp is completed and that is on track with in the next 3 moths.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.