AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Structured Wiring Design Manual" references the Future Smart Pro 8 in its examples. This is the link to the panel http://www.futurehomesystems.com/w231.shtml . Here are the questions:

The book states that this panel has 4 coax in and 8 out but there are 8 connectors on the input side. What gives?

The book also mentions that the signals are combined on one coax line and sent through the amplifier and then sent to the output side. Don't you need modulators on the incoming signals so they can be recognized by the tv tuners on the output side?

They state that the telephone section can handle 4 lines and output to 12 location. So does that really mean you can only have 12 telephone jacks in the house?

Lastly, are these types of panels necessary? If it is really just for simplifying the connections I would think that there must be a less expensive way of accomplishing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
There's either an error in the picture or an error in the book. I've seen enough of these to suspect the error is in the book.

The amplifier is also a combiner. You are correct that you'd need to modulate dedicated channels before the signal is input into the input side. You can combine freely as long as no two input cables have the same channels on them.

That means you can have only 12 dedicated extensions. Certainly you could daisey chain your phone connections to have more phone jacks. The recommended practice is that you don't do this. If you'd ever install a phone system that allowed calling between extensions, etc., you need to have this kind of wiring topology.

No, they're not necessary. Yes there are some less expensive panels around. I find the Future Smart panel is by far easier for the home owner to handle later (moving phones, TV's etc.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.