AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I have a friend who works for Futureshop/Best Buy and he can get me a staff discount on speakers so that is why I'm looking to buy from them (I know there are better places to buy from). I'm hoping to get some suggestions on which pair of tower speakers I should get for $1000 or less from their websites. I will be listening to a lot of house music through them and they will also be part of my 5.1 surround. I already have a sub so bass isn't really a concern. I also have a Sony Receiver (STR-DE597). I tried to provide direct links to futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca so you can see what they have for tower spearkers but I'm not allowed because this is my first post; I hope you have time to visit their sites. Your time is much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out the Mirage Towers. They sell for 499.99 each at Best Buy and while I don't think they are worth that, if you can get a decent discount, then they would be worth picking up. I would advise finding them locally so you could listen first. they are an aquired sound.

I was there the other night and I was VERY impressed with the Klipsch ICON wf-34 towers. Really nice sound if you're into your highs which I am. They were listed at 599.99 each but on sale for 549.99 each. Maybe with his discount you could get under 1,000? These would be the ones I would buy personally.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Futureshop has the Klipsch RF-82 on sale for C$500 each. I'd give those a listen for sure. Unfortunately, the brand new Futureshop store in my city is not a place to audition speakers! The room is terrible (it isn't really a room), the placement is not ideal, and the staff has subs cranked up to the max distorting everything. :-(

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/15413292

You should know that your friend will be fired instantly if caught sharing his/her discount.

Very easy to overcome that problem. OP give the friend/employee the money. Employee buys the speakers. As long as the employee buys it and gives to the OP. Nothing the store can do. Now, if OP shows up and his friend/employee is at the register and his friend/employee gives an employee discount to the OP....then the employee is a freaking idiot and deserves to be fired.

OP, best way is to go there and listen to what they have to offer and pick the one you like. People here CAN NOT determine what YOU LIKE.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The best speakers Future Shop sells are the Energy Veritas, followed by the Reference Connoissur line.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/15413292

You should know that your friend will be fired instantly if caught sharing his/her discount.

All FS salespersons are permitted to provide discounts down to the employee-discount price as part of the haggling process. If you don't haggle at FS, then you were born every minute.

To the OP: FS has been having a fire sale of the Reference Connoisseur line from Energy. The RC50's are on sale for $349 each and there is no better speaker in the world at that price. Hard deal to beat. The C-500's are going for $150 a piece if you can find a store that still has some stock; they are a very good speaker as well (but certainly no RC50). With the money you can save, you could start a receiver upgrade fund

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their reply's. I pretty sure I'll be getting a pair of RC-30's and a RC-LCR for a centre channel. Now all that is left is to choose a new receiver for $500-$800 but I should be able to find enough info through search to make my decision.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.