AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with a friend that manage's the video dept at a Futureshop in Ajax and they received their Matrix sets yesterday and they're only going to ask $5 more for the Ultimate Collection over the complete edition. They didn't bring in many of the complete edition. They also got thier shipment of POTC for those of us with Blu Ray players, so everything will be in stock, which is a rarity in Canada, on Tuesday.


Yay!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Good news...however, right now, BB has the Trilogy set for $10 less than FS at $74.99 (and Amazon has it at $69.99). Fs is $84.99 trilogy, $89.99 ultimate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
For Ontarians, it's still cheaper to get it from Amazon.com, even after you factor in shipping, cuz for some reason you end up not having to pay the 14% PST/GST.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Yeah even with Futureshops pricing its cheaper to order from Amazon.com, may have to wait an extra day but oh well. I live in Nova Scotia by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I want it on day 1........so I'll probably just get it from my local Futureshop. I don't feel like waiting 1-2 weeks for the biggest HD DVD release so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


For Ontarians, it's still cheaper to get it from Amazon.com, even after you factor in shipping, cuz for some reason you end up not having to pay the 14% PST/GST.


That's what i'm doing. Plus the 10% off works out roughly to the exchange rate of the dollar right now too. So i'm paying the amount the site is selling it for. Will probably save about $20+ in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Whoo hoo! I preordered mine from Futureshop because of their wonky price mess up on the preorder ($81.90 CDN for the Ultimate set). Good to know this will ship out right away... I don't think I'll be able to wait much past the 22nd for the set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


For Ontarians, it's still cheaper to get it from Amazon.com, even after you factor in shipping, cuz for some reason you end up not having to pay the 14% PST/GST.

I'd normally agree with you on this but lately Canada customs had been intercepting my deliveries.


Guess Amazon landed on Canada's terrorist watch list.



So now not only do I pay the 14% tax but also get charged a $5 handling fee.



Going back to buying from futureshop and BB.


It was fun while it lasted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir /forum/post/0


That's what i'm doing. Plus the 10% off works out roughly to the exchange rate of the dollar right now too. So i'm paying the amount the site is selling it for. Will probably save about $20+ in the end.

Oh yeah, I was including the 10% discount as part of why it was cheaper. Without the 10% discount from Amazon.com, buying locally starts to make more sense.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M /forum/post/0


I'd normally agree with you on this but lately Canada customs had been intercepting my deliveries.


Guess Amazon landed on Canada's terrorist watch list.



So now not only do I pay the 14% tax but also get charged a $5 handling fee.



Going back to buying from futureshop and BB.


It was fun while it lasted.

DAMMIT!



I'm not surprised though. I kept on saying that it didn't make sense that Amazon.com was getting away with this.


Anyways, I have Dog Day Afternoon coming today/tomorrow. If it gets hit with brokerage and tax, then I'm cancelling my Matrix Ultimate for next week. If DDA doesn't get hit, maybe I'll chance it and keep my order for Matrix.


When did they start doing this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
I hope I can find this in Edmonton today somewhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


When did they start doing this?

I have been ordering from amazon.com for a while. I got hit with the $5 fee once. I was unpleasantly surprised. In talking with the mailman, I was told that if it is a gift, then there are no fees they can charge you at the border.


Since then, I make sure to put a gift note to myself on the package. It's my birthday every time I make a purchase
. So far so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter /forum/post/0


I have been ordering from amazon.com for a while. I got hit with the $5 fee once. I was unpleasantly surprised. In talking with the mailman, I was told that if it is a gift, then there are no fees they can charge you at the border.


Since then, I make sure to put a gift note to myself on the package. It's my birthday every time I make a purchase
. So far so good.

I was just checking on a Canadian forum and one guy says that so far all his shipments that originate from Mississauga from Amazon.com have been tax/brokerage free (although I still don't understand how they can do that, since other companies are not allowed to do this). It's the ones that ship from the US that have the risk of getting taxed, but even then it's hit and miss.


BTW, I've been told something different about gifts. ie. Usually they let the gifts through untouched, but it's up to the discretion of the agent. For the record, I have hit with tax + handling on actual gifts shipped from friends overseas.


The worst though is when I get hit with tax and handling on a US$20 item. That's happened too to me. Irritating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Haven't been hit with any of those fees yet for Amazon shipments. If the price in Canada for the Trilogy is around $75 then I'm cancelling my Amazon.com order because with the money difference and shipping it puts me around the same amount when you add the 13% tax (Provincial and Federal) on that $75.00 plus I get it right away as opposed to waiting for June as Amazon is indicating to me for shipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


Oh yeah, I was including the 10% discount as part of why it was cheaper. Without the 10% discount from Amazon.com, buying locally starts to make more sense.





DAMMIT!



I'm not surprised though. I kept on saying that it didn't make sense that Amazon.com was getting away with this.


Anyways, I have Dog Day Afternoon coming today/tomorrow. If it gets hit with brokerage and tax, then I'm cancelling my Matrix Ultimate for next week. If DDA doesn't get hit, maybe I'll chance it and keep my order for Matrix.


When did they start doing this?

Bit of a crap shoot right now.


All my discs recently are coming from the US and not out of Mississuaga.


My Lucky # Slevin disc got caught.


Just received my copies of The Road Warrior & The Fountain to day and they made it through without being taxed.


But my Battle of the Bulge which shipped before these by a week has not arrived yet. So it looks like the boys at Customs got that one and I'll be paying tax and brokerage fees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M /forum/post/0


Bit of a crap shoot right now.


All my discs recently are coming from the US and not out of Mississuaga.


My Lucky # Slevin disc got caught.


Just received my copies of The Road Warrior & The Fountain to day and they made it through without being taxed.


But my Battle of the Bulge which shipped before these by a week has not arrived yet. So it looks like the boys at Customs got that one and I'll be paying tax and brokerage fees.

Yeah, that's worrisome. How long was the delay in customs or whatever?


My Dog Day Afternoon was shipped earlier this week, but I haven't received it yet. I'm thinking it could be stuck at customs, as I often receive it the next day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


Yeah, that's worrisome. How long was the delay in customs or whatever?


My Dog Day Afternoon was shipped earlier this week, but I haven't received it yet. I'm thinking it could be stuck at customs, as I often receive it the next day.

If it gets stuck in customs, typically 3 weeks from the ship date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
What are the differences between the Trilogy and Ultimate sets other than price?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the47ronin /forum/post/0


I'm thinking of dropping my Amazon order too, as the price difference would only be $4. Is there any chance of Best buy upping the price before the release?

Don't order from best buy online, if you want it close to release date.



I pre-ordered Smokin Aces (on April 7th).


I received it Tuesday.



Same thing happened with Superman Returns.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top