AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes E86 connected to a Toshiba 65" 16:9 TV. When I watch HD material it is simply stunning but when watching SD through the component cables the picture is very, very soft and almost blurry.

When I use a S-Video cable and switch the unit to SD mode the picture on SD material becomes much clearer.

Is this because the E86 does not upconvert SD signals very well?

I dont want to switch inputs on my TV every time I want to switch between SD & HD material. Are the Zenith or Sony units better at upconverting SD material because as it stands I will not be keeping the E86 with the picture quality the way it is.

Edit: I forgot to add that the menu is very, very slow using component cables and much quicker using the S-Vid when the unit is set to 480i.

· Registered
238 Posts
That's very common to the E86, you really need to watch shows in their native format. If you do a search on E86, I'm sure you'll find multiple threads with this topic mentioned. Basically, we all do the same thing - switch inputs each time. I don't remember if this issue is related to the E86 or if it's the line doubler in the TV, but any box will be similar - watch shows in their native format - not an upconverted one.

The menus are slower on the component side, I assume, due to the increased resolution (1080i) that you're driving.

Sorry...

Kendal

· Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There is loss in any conversion. I have macros set up on my learning remote for a one button switch between SD and HD. One reason for the slower menu is that HD screens have a lot more pixels to paint. I'm wondering if your box is running the latest software though. If it's not version 5099 which gets uploaded automatically if you have a dish, that could be a problem.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The receiver is a little over a week old so I assume it downloaded the latest software when I installed it but I'll check to see if its 5099.

Dang, I was hoping I didnt have to change inputs in order to get the better PQ. So the Zenith/Sony units wont upconvert any better than the Hughes?

· Registered
950 Posts
Kyle,

The Zenith/Sony has much better scaling than the Hughes. Most people prefer the upconverted output over S-video on these units.

Robert

· Registered
238 Posts
Do some searches on this forum - there are a few comparisons that others have done on the E86 and other boxes (Zenith/Sony vs. the Hughes/Mitsu/Toshiba was one that someone did if memory serves).

The Hughes box (& it's clones) performs very well and is a very dependable box - a number of us have had the box for a long time and it is a solid performer without too many quirks. Bottom line - it's really all a matter of opinion.

Have fun...

Kendal

· Registered
218 Posts
greywolf-

What learning remote do you use to switch between HD and SD with your E86? I have the Sony RM-VL900 and I can't, for the life of me, get it to switch the E86 to HD. I programmed the "action" and "HD/SD" onto separate buttons. When trying to switch to HD, it shows "action" on screen and switches the TV input (Mitsubishi) to DTV, but won't switch the receiver to HD. It will, however, switch from HD to SD just fine.

I end up using the Hughes remote just for switching SD/HD.

Thanks for any suggestions!

· Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Action/Input is not a toggle but sequential discrete codes. Two buttons on the learning remote are needed, one for HD and the other for SD. That's just one of the helpful things I learned from reading this forum. I have Marantz remotes that will learn Action/Input on one button then the next Action/Input on another button.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kendal - I did a search about this but didnt find anything specific to the comparison between these brands and their upconvert qualities.

Like I said, I'm just after the model that will upconvert the best because I really dont want to switch inputs depending if the program is SD or HD and I know my wife wont want to when she is watching.

· Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Lest I give anyone the impression that I don't like the upconvert on the E86, I only switch output modes to gain more control over the TV aspect ratio in SD mode. I'm satisfied with the conversion process.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Add a DirecTiVo for SD viewing and have the best of both worlds.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
Lest I give anyone the impression that I don't like the upconvert on the E86, I only switch output modes to gain more control over the TV aspect ratio in SD mode. I'm satisfied with the conversion process.
Have to agree very strongly with you. I've tried most other brands of HD STB's and their upconverted SD images are either equal to or inferior to the E-86. If you aren't satisfied with the E-86, you won't be satisfied with anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.