AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Pioneer 4340 plasma; I have Direct TV. The DVD movies are clear but the regular channels are fuzzy. If your watching regular TV the logos like ABC come in very fuzzy; forget about reading the fine print on a commercial. No I dont have HD hooked up yet; but for a 3+ grand TV I expect a little more. I ran everything threw the monster surge protector but no help Ive tried without it also. Any help? I may just return this sucker.

·
Registered
155 Posts
dano...

While some displays do a better job at it than others, no display is going to make your DirecTV (or cable) look as good as your DVD (or HDTV). It can't. There is just so much information available to "make the picture" with, and having a bigger screen just magnifies the deficiencies of non-HDTV, compression artifacts from satellite, etc...

Jeff

·
2,436 Posts
SD is just going to look soft. Your talking about 250 lines of res compared to 480 for DVD and 720 or 1080 of HD.

It doesn't matter how much you spent on it, its made to view HD content. Watching SD on a HD plasma is like putting water in your gas tank. Plus it "seems" that sat SD is worse than cable. Maybe its bandwidth, I don't know. I've never had Sat TV though I often here people complain about SD from it.

Sorry, it might not want to be what you want to hear. Try using the S-Video connection or component.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
There are many sets that display Direct TV SD very well. Panasonic and Fujitsu both do it very well. Of course there can be a lot of difference in the broadcast quality of different channels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that after using componet video things look great; there are a few channels that come in soft but over all Im a happy camper now. HD rules!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.