AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda anxious to see how this remote plays out. Reviews for the n5901 weren't all that great, but they've addressed some of the issues like back-lighting for the keyboard. For those interested, if you google it, there is a 50% off coupon floating around the net. That's a big discount for a product launch, so I'm suspicious, but for $39.99 and it's a 2nd generation product.. I'll bite! Keeping my fingers cross that it'll be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-wSl6LR4M

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got mine today! First impressions are that it is much easier to use than the Blue Tooth Microsoft multimedia keyboard. I'll have to see if I can get it to wake up the computer. When I tried the "wake on USB" with the Microsoft keyboard, it never worked.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That EE Guy /forum/post/20919351

I just got mine today! First impressions are that it is much easier to use than the Blue Tooth Microsoft multimedia keyboard. I'll have to see if I can get it to wake up the computer. When I tried the "wake on USB" with the Microsoft keyboard, it never worked.

My old one wakes my HTPC with aplomb.

Always has. However, my Harmony One only does it most of the time.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I got mine in over the weekend, I'm having major issues with the left and right mouse movement on the optical finger navigation. Is anyone else having issues?

oddly enough if I put a napkin on top of my finger or my shirt it moves much more smoothly. It's having trouble recognizing the finger alone. And even worse left and right than up and down

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog /forum/post/20920248

I got mine in over the weekend, I'm having major issues with the left and right mouse movement on the optical finger navigation. Is anyone else having issues?

oddly enough if I put a napkin on top of my finger or my shirt it moves much more smoothly. It's having trouble recognizing the finger alone. And even worse left and right than up and down

you should also go into your mouse settings and change your cursor speed to the fastest setting. makes navigation life much easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is so awesome. Can anyone post up a more detailed review of this device? The main question I have is whether this device is exactly the same as the first generation except for the backlight. I've heard the trackball is loose and moves on its own too easily.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 /forum/post/21004758

That is so awesome. Can anyone post up a more detailed review of this device? The main question I have is whether this device is exactly the same as the first generation except for the backlight. I've heard the trackball is loose and moves on its own too easily.

It does not have a trackball, it has an sensor that is very similar to the Blackberry phones. Just go to the Lenovo site, it explains it pretty well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Somehow missed this thread at first... I've had my eye on the N5901 for a long time, never did bite because the price was a little high (and I always managed to miss the sales). Right now the N5901 is on sale for $36, but with the 50% coupon the N5902 is only $40 so seems a better deal. You can get the eCoupon code directly from the Lenovo product page . I've just ordered mine, can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've got the old model and I'll 2nd the notion that the trackball is too loose.

I also find that if I'm more than 8 feet from my HTPC, both the trackball mouse motions and key presses don't always make it to the HTPC. My couch is 10 feet away...
I often end up standing up and moving closer to my HTPC to use it. Not optimal- and certainly not "wife proof".

I hope they managed to increase the range a tad.

I think with some sale or something, I only paid $16 for it (including s&h) - so I'm not complaining. I'm about to buy a 4 tuner Ceton USB cable card tuner- so I'll probably soon be using my HTPC a lot more- and so I'll want a better wireless keyboard...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the old model and there is significant interference between the USB receiver and the PC. The cursor freezes from time to time if the receiver is directly plugged in. Using a USB extension cable solves it.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 /forum/post/21008606

For those that are getting the new model, please let us know about the range. I'm eager to find out. Where does the interference come from? The TV? other wireless devices?

I have never had any interference with the older model. I sit about 15' from the HTPC.

I have the dongle on a USB extension and it sits discretely under a picture frame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
pnkflyd51 says 10 feet, assassin says 15. Not to be offensive, either someone is miscounting distance
, interference is disrupting the range, or there are differences in manufacturing quality in the remotes. 15 feet is good enough for me, 10 feet not so much. I notice that both devices use 2.4GHz frequency, that's the same frequency as most wireless routers. Which leads to my next question, do any of you have a strong wireless signal in the same room where you use the remote?

I'm trying to setup an HTPC system and am planning on buying either the Lenovo or the Dinovo mini to control XBMC. I'm trying to make up my mind. I also want to integrate either a URC or logitech to control the rest of the devices (TV, Cable box, PC) and perform macros on both the devices and software.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
My old type one is good from 15 feet away, but only if the USB receiver is plugged into the front of the HTPC. I bought 2 of the new type as well; my main issue witht he old one was lack of backlighting. I may be putting two of the old ones up for sale once I've picked up and tried the new ones.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate touch pad stuff, so at first, it was a bummer for me that they didn't keep the trackball. But I have found that the ofn touch thing has two advantages.

1. You can click on it and it works as your left click.

2. I've read reviews that advises the use of CLICKLOCK from your pc mouse setting. With clicklock enabled, you can drag and drop and highlight words all using the ofn. Without clicklock, you would need to use two hands, one hand to hold down the actual left click and the other hand to swipe the ofn.

This thing has been awesome! Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 /forum/post/21014325

Sweet! I would greatly appreciate it if you let us know about about the range and whether there are any issues with the optical navigator thingy on the new remotes.

I think you need to put the dongle in the front of the case or on a usb extension cable like I did to maximize the range.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.