AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI...for those interested. I emailed Best Buy customer service (corp office) and received a reply indicating that local Best Buy stores will match prices advertised b PC Richard (see pcrichard.com). PC Richard's advertised prices on their website are pretty darn good.

I plan to have them match pcrichard and take advantage of the BB 18 mos/no interest.

·
Registered
15,291 Posts
Of course they will, since PC Richards is an actual B&M store (it's only the internet only dealers that most B&M stores will not match).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not so fast...went to two local BB stores here in VA yesterday and both refused...even spoke to the mgrs...I plan to take the email reply with me this time.

·
Registered
15,291 Posts
Are there any PC Richards in your area? If not, that's why they're not matching it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BB won't always price match. I recently tried to buy a Toshiba 51" RPTV that sears had on sale for $999 and BB had for $1599. Sears didn't have them in stock so I took the flyer to BB to get one. They wouldn't price match. I went rounds with the manager and even called customer service while I was in the store. No luck. They said it was up to the manager. So much for their "low price guarantee".

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdoc
BB won't always price match. I recently tried to buy a Toshiba 51" RPTV that sears had on sale for $999 and BB had for $1599. Sears didn't have them in stock so I took the flyer to BB to get one. They wouldn't price match. I went rounds with the manager and even called customer service while I was in the store. No luck. They said it was up to the manager. So much for their "low price guarantee".
That is because in the managers opinion they still had the low price since Sears couldn't actually sell you one. If Sears had them in stock I bet you would have got the price match. You may ask, how did the manager know if Sears had it in stock? He reads the Sunday morning paper the same way you did and then he sends an employee over there in street clothes and has them walk up to a Sears employee and ask if it is in stock. I worked at Circuit City in college and got sent to the competitors stores all the time to check stuff like that. It is up to the manager because he gets bonuses based on the profitibility of the store.

Price matching competitors is almost always dependent on the other place actually carrying them in stock. Otherwise, if I owned a competing store I could run an ad advertising 50" tv's two for dollar, stock two, sell them to the first person in the door, and then run my comptetition out of business while they price match my ad. It would be legal too because I would put in a "While Quantities Last" disclaimer in the ad. Unethical as heck but not Illegal.

Sucks for you but it is the way it works. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.