AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe D&M will "absolutely" without a doubt, do the right thing for all of us. Maybe not in the exact way we would like to have things go but they have a tremendous product line with a valuable following which I'm sure they recognize as their life blood.

I'd be willing to bet that many of us have owned or now enjoy products that D&M now have in their stable. High end equipment....ie: Denon, Marantz. They purchased the prestigious McIntosh Stereo line in March of this year. I've owned and traded up my McIntosh equipment a number of times over the past 25 years. I can only deduce that they are planning great things, not only for ReplayTV but for what some might consider some of the most exclusive & recognized names in the home electronics business.

In all humility It's evident to me, with these recent acquisitions and with the opening of the DNNA research center, we're in for a grand "Digital Ride" and I'm looking forward to it.

I did a little research on the man who's decisions will, in part, take us RTV aficionados into the future. I sure hope I have the right Mr. Steedman....

Michael Seedman is the former senior vice president and general manager of U.S. Robotics Personal Communications Division. You know, the people that capitalized on the Palm Pilot craze. They were subsequently acquired by 3Com. (I've owned three of them until I jumped recently to Pocket PC). He joined U.S. Robotics in 1993 and resigned in September 1997 to pursue other interests. During his tenure, USR became the world's leading modem manufacturer, developing numerous award-winning communications solutions. At USR, Seedman had global responsibility for product management, engineering, sales, marketing and technical support for all the Personal Communications Division's product lines. Products developed under his guidance include the Sportster line of modems and ISDN adapters.

He was the founder, president and chief executive officer of Practical Peripherals, (which was my very 1st modem) which was a California-based modem manufacturer. He served as president and chief executive officer from 1981 through 1993 when he sold the company to Hayes Microcomputer, Inc.

He sure sounds like the right man for the job……What do you folks think? Any additional info and/or comments are most welcome....

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Hey, I'm just a 9 to 5 Joe. I have not ideal what makes a good chief executive officer. But my gut feeling is D&M will do a better job then Sonic Blue did in giving Tivo some competition for the SA DVR market

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 7241252
Michael Seedman is the former senior vice president and general manager of U.S. Robotics Personal Communications Division. You know, the people that capitalized on 3 Com’s, Palm Pilot craze

I think you got that backwards, 3COM acquired USR. My palm pilot personal is pretty damn old, I'm usually the only geek in the building with a palm that says US Robotics on it, rather than 3COM or Palm.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Anyone know where they are headquartered in the US? I'm interested in a change of employment and would like to venture into the commercial electronics space.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes. Sonicblue did the ReplayTV proud when it introduced the 4000 units, with its ethernet port, VGA and digital video output, Auto Commercial Skip, In-Home Video Sharing, and Internet Video Sharing. But the improvements have been only incremental since (we've seen that the 5.0 software will bring some needed features). Hopefully the fresh blood will bring some new development.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slack,

You're right......I mis-spoke. Slight case of dyslexia...... My 1st handheld was a USR as well. Thanks for pointing it out... I've edited my initial post to reflect the change.

Do you have any views or constructive comments on what kind of job Seedman might do?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.