AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a Dalite Dealer regarding the new HCMW fabric. He stated that the new fabric is highly suseptible to wrinkles and that is the reason for the CSR requirement for the Model B/C. Even with the CSR, he said he still wouldn't be confortable using a non tensioned screen with the new material. The dealer is a very high volume dealer and I bought my Matte White Model B from them. Very sincere sales guy. Just thought you guys would want to know some comments from other people who have had experience with the new screen material. I'm going to stick to my matte white screen for know, until I can afford a tensioned screen.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's NOT!

If you want to have a tensioned screen you have too use the HCCV fabric.

I have a HCMW DIY automated screen and I must say that I don't know what he's talking about!!!

ddog!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't say the fabric was available in a tensioned screen. The sales guy said he wouldn't feel comfortable using the new material unless they would decide to tension it. His customers have had too many problems.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, I managed to get mine to lay flat.

The image looks stellar!!

If you or someone is looking for a new screen I fore 1 would strongly suggest a HCMW screen fabric.

ddog!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just recieved my HCMW cosmo electric screen. Third one I may add and the this screen came with ripples.....again......My first screen was the 1.5 Video material with same problem.

I spoke with a CSR at Dalite and was assured that thier QC is second to none( I believe this fact),When it comes to shipping, I believe that the "fragile" sticker is not being observed and having me sign for it may absolve the shipper from any damages. Problem is , I can't really check this until I hang it and let the screen down. There has got to be a better way as Dalite has no recoarse if we sign for the item so it will cut into thier bottom line with all this shipping.

Keep in mind that if they transport these things in the upright position instead of getting placed flat the constant vibration from the roads may shift the screen on the roller as it is only held by some sort of tape. Maybe some "this side up" stencles may help keep these things from being shipped improperly and help minimize returns.

This may be the problem your dealer is talking about.

Hey ddog.....How gray is your screen as I can barely tell that it's "not" white? I have a 116x65 screen and thought that I would see a drastic difference from my 1.5 Video screen.

Patiently waiting for info on my 4th screen:(

I would like to add that this screen does improve the image quite a bit and happy that I switched:cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well I am adding my name to the list of people that are having problems with this screen material. I purchased mine in a Model B w/ CSR and thought all was well after I received my first one. I installed it and made sure it was level several times. I noticed a slight wave that started in the upper right corner that appeared to be more apparent in the pictures I took then when actually looking at the screen. I was very impressed by the improved picture quality I saw but then something happened over the next few days. I rolled the screen up when not being used and noticed that horizontal creases were forming throughout the screen. These creases got so bad that you could easily notice them when viewing a movie. Along with these creases some scuffs to the actual material started to form.

I notified the dealer I purchased through and they had Dalite send me a second one which arrived yesterday. I installed the second screen and then pulled it down. This one was worse when it came to the waves then the first one. There were a few horizontal creases but they were not as noticeable then the first screen. I also noticed what looked like dried water marks on the black masking. I left the screen down over night and shut the door to the theater. This morning I took a quick look at it before I went to work and noticed that the horizontal creases were no longer there. The waves improved slightly but were still present. Now if leaving the screen down improves the screen problems then doesn't that defeat the purpose of putting the material in a retractable solution.

I notified the dealer of the problems with the second screen and will notify them if anything changes between this morning and when I get home this evening. I thought that the Model C might be a solution to this problem but I suppose not if a Cosmo Electric is displaying the same kind of problems. To bad the fixed wall screens are out of my price range or I would just go with one of those.

I hope these problems get resolved as I love this material and the results that I see from it in my setup.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
It could be that during the manufacturing process all the adhesives and materials are heated (warmer) so that durning the delivery when all these things cure and cool down, causing a little bit of shrinkage thus creating the V shape "waves" that more people are experiencing. This will need to be looked into at Dalite.

I have had nothing but positive experience with the way Dalite is handling my situation. So hang in the there.

SKo, You may be right as ddog hung the material himself. For us DIY challenged people we must rely on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Count me in as one with the "v" waves. I just got my 92x69 Model B with CSR HCMW screen from AVS yesterday. I let it hang overnight, and the waves didn't improve. In my opinion, this is a serious flaw in this screen, and makes the picture almost unwatchable. I will probably return it if they don't "hang out", but it sure sounds like there isn't much chance of getting one that's any better. Ddog, how did you get yours to lie flat? I sure hope Daylite can get this figured out. Other than the waves...I like the screen. :(

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Would tensioning the screen be as easy as hanging a brick off each end of the bottom with bungee cords? I.e. pull the screen down and then "tension" it... would that solve the wave problem?

Also... why are these things cheaper in 4:3 configurations anyway? Don't they use less material to make an equal-width 16:9 screen?

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's exactly because of problems like I'm seeing described here that I've ruled out a pull down screen and have opted for a fixed screen instead. I do have a question though. If I wanted to use this fabric vs. the HCCV would it work to just order the raw material (HCMW) and spray glue it to a flat surface? Are there problems that I'm not thinking of with this or would it really be that easy. Has anybody done this with this type of fabric?

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wildfire99,

It may solve the "wave" problem, but I paid top dollar for an electric screen so that I would not have to mess with those kinds of issues.

Manufactures can demand more for 16:9's since the norm for bussiness purposes is 4:3. "Whatever the market will bare"

BJM,

If I had the room I would opt for a fix screen and would have attempted DIY. I hate spending extra money for nothing. I have a pull down, but opt for the electric ( has that WOW....Coool effect) as an X-mas present to myself this year.

Blake Brubaker (director of sales at Dalite) visits this forum and may be able to answer your question.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I too have the "v" waves (top corners to lower center) on a 92x52 Model B w/CSR. They are most distracting on very bright and very dark scenes.

The HCMW material is very thin compared to my old Hi-Power screen. Not only are there stationary ripples, but if there's any air current at all (like from walking slowly up to the screen) it will send ripples moving across the screen. HCMW seems too delicate for a non-tensioned screen.

Also, this material has a noticeable surface texture with a grid like pattern. This gives the image a grainy look compared to the Hi-Power which is extremely smooth.

If the ripples don't flatten out, I'll replace the HCMW with another Hi-Power. Is it possible to just replace the material, keeping the same case, with the Model B w/CSR?

--Dan

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well,

It sounds like I'm the only one that seams to be able to make the HCMW fabric(DIY automated screen) hang flat, as I pat myself on the back! just joking!

The "V" shape ripple usually comes from the top bar (roller) flex or bow in the center. This is why I used a 3 inch thick wooded dowel instead of a hallow steel toob to mount the fabric too.

ddog!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhnjp1
I too have the "v" waves (top corners to lower center) on a 92x52 Model B w/CSR. They are most distracting on very bright and very dark scenes.

The HCMW material is very thin compared to my old Hi-Power screen. Not only are there stationary ripples, but if there's any air current at all (like from walking slowly up to the screen) it will send ripples moving across the screen. HCMW seems too delicate for a non-tensioned screen.

Also, this material has a noticeable surface texture with a grid like pattern. This gives the image a grainy look compared to the Hi-Power which is extremely smooth.

If the ripples don't flatten out, I'll replace the HCMW with another Hi-Power. Is it possible to just replace the material, keeping the same case, with the Model B w/CSR?

--Dan
Many people don't realize that because the Hi-Power is retro-reflective, it hardly ever shows wrinkles.

Also the Hi-Power's reflective sphere elements are smaller than the width of a human hair which is much much smaller than the reflective particle used in most screens. In most cases, the reflective particles of other screens are very noticeable to me.

When the HCMW was announced I was actually hoping it was a derivative of the Hi-Power - the only difference being that it was a Hi-Power screen with a gray base coat underneath the spheres instead of the white base coat used in the standard Hi-Power. This would effectively cut the gain down from 2.8 to something in the 1.4 or so area while maintaing gray screen type rejection properties.

Well, that obviously didn't happen. I'm still holding out hope on my dream...

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Well, that obviously didn't happen. I'm still holding out hope on my dream...
I agree completely. I would jump on that one in a second if Da-Lite priced it like most of their other products. This one could compete very well against the Firehawk.

--Darin

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well...... I was expecting my HCMW 65 X 116 Cosmo Electro replacement to ship on the 5th and found out that it never did (from the frieght company). I called Da-Lite and was told that B. Brubaker inspected 5 screens that were made to replace mine and rejected them all. So I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I hope having him go down to the floor and showing the inspectors what to look for during QC will help all those ordering in the future. Would also like to give a KUDOS to DaLite for not giving me the run around like my dealer did after the sale. I have been going direct to DaLite after a month of BS with my dealer.

Looking foward to my "flat" screen:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got my replacement and everything is well:).....Finally put an end to my 4 month journey. Thanks to B.Brubaker and his participation in this forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.