AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an FYI - JVC cannot deal with 576i on analog I/O. It seems that the color encoder/decoder cannot deal with PAL color. You do get a B/W signal though. Next thing to try is to use firewire and see if one can record/playback 576i MPEG2 transport stream directly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattmarsden
Is your display capable of displaying PAL? This may be the cause, not the video.
No, it doesn't work with PAL full stop. It won't pick up the different frequency of the colour carrier and chops off the extra lines resulting in an elongated picture.

I'm sure JVC could have easily made it work with PAL but deliberately chose not to.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dundas
I'm sure JVC could have easily made it work with PAL but deliberately chose not to.
Which makes perfect sense, as the core technology in the unit is for sale in Japan or the US, which both use NTSC or a compatible (ATSC, BS) HD system. Why add PAL compatibility for markets that have no use for it?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
This is just an FYI - JVC cannot deal with 576i on analog I/O. It seems that the color encoder/decoder cannot deal with PAL color. You do get a B/W signal though. Next thing to try is to use firewire and see if one can record/playback 576i MPEG2 transport stream directly.
Looks like I can record/playback 576i MPEG2 transport stream no problem!!!

You don't see a picture on the analog outputs, but you can see it through an external MPEG2 decoder attached via firewire. (a computer works fine, I don't have any access to displays with firewire, so I can't comment on MPEG2 decoders in those.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Beecham
Paul

Are you going to get one anyway?

I am. I can live without the PAL thing. It's D-Theater that I care about.

Nick
I was sort of tempted by one and then, pretty much on a whim, picked one up from J&R in New York last weekend and carried it back. Now all I need is some software to play on it (apart from the JVC demo tape which is outstanding in quality but gets a bit boring after the third viewing......)

Assuming some D-Theater software turns up and it doesn't die a quick death, if you want to get a taste of HDTV in the UK for the foreseeable future this looks pretty much the only option. If you buy one for use in the UK you'll need to accept that it is going to be a playback medium only (and an expensive one at that) and you'll be relying on the Studios to keep to their promises regarding releases in order not to end up with an expensive door stop.

As you only live about 20 miles away, if you want to try it, you're welcome to (once I get some hands on some software - the release dates of which seem to be slipping bearing in mind they're meant to launch next week and only one title has been announced officially...)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

Which makes perfect sense, as the core technology in the unit is for sale in Japan or the US, which both use NTSC or a compatible (ATSC, BS) HD system. Why add PAL compatibility for markets that have no use for it?
Most MPEG encoders are standard off the shelf chips and are designed to work with all world standards. Designing this unit to accept PAL as an input would be trivial and add no cost but JVC (and no doubt film studios) do not want to encourage grey importing and blurring of market territories.

Rgds,

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
And for the same reason, the 30000u does not play Japanese BS tapes, while it could easily do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.