Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Link to Dell in the el cheapo forum

I doubt this is of interest to folks on this forum but it is a price break through at this resolution that I thought warranted an FYI...

New Dell 5100MP

1400x1050 SXGA+ DLP (12 degree mirrors)

3300 Lumens

2500:1 CR

HDMI input

$3499

Too bad it only has a 2x color wheel...

-Matt

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I bet it is Infocus. No interest to the HT market with that CW. Typical presentation machine.

Weve been wondering what this could be and I bet this is it.

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/

August 10, 2005

InFocus to unveil new generation of projectors at CEDIA 2005

Granted the short blurb of “Think you’ve seen it all? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.†Doesn’t exactly tell us much, but I think it’s safe to assume that InFocus may have a front projection answer to the current generation of 1080p capable, rear-pro displays. Early adopters of these sets are already enjoying high definition in full 1080p but sadly the front projection arena is nearly void of such resolutions, unless you’re willing to shell out nearly 30k for the Sony Qualia or go to a larger even more expensive commercial unit.

Another snippet from the InFocus press release mentions “InFocus’ new product design will set it apart from the other single chip projectors†so we know we’re talking about a single chip unit, but lips are tight as to resolution and retail price. Needless to say this looks like a very interesting product and we’ll report more as soon as any additional details are known, which if the air of secrecy holds may not be until September 9th at CEDIA .

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan-

Maybe Infocus already did what I was recommending in the other thread... :D Maybe they'll buy up the extra NEC anamorphic lenses and offer a combo deal! And of course, Infocus being bigger than DW & R, Inc. they should be able to sell it for only $4500 :D

-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnst
I guess we need Darin, Mr. Wigggles and Rogo to setup an LLC, OEM this sucker from Dell (kind of ironic), slap in an 8 segment, 5x color wheel and an adjustable iris. Raise the price to $5,500 but with specs like 2000:1 CR @ 3300 lumens or 7500:1 CR @ 750 lumens! :D

-Matt

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Interesting! Someone needs to do a shootout with the same price Canon SX50 with the same resolution! :D

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On
Interesting! Someone needs to do a shootout with the same price Canon SX50 with the same resolution! :D
Just by looking at the specs we can see that this one beats the SX50. Pretty STUNNING, huh . ;)

In all seriousness, if it had a 3x colorwheel or the new Brilliant Color one (or whatever TI is calling it), then I would consider picking one up to try out if Dell had another big sale.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If that was a three-chipper I'd be oozing orgasmic joy right now. Too bad.

With a 2x wheel I'd be seeing more rainbows than with an LSD trip.

·
Registered
875 Posts
gotta feel sorry for you rainbow folks - x1 for 2 years, 4700 hours, and I've yet to see one. With a good dell sale and a HTPC for image processing this thing could be a hell of a good value in ht.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
My 2 cents.

This chip is a little late to the table. Its no good for HT and a company buying a presentation projector for that purpose does not care about the resolution. 1024 is more popular and a better fit in the PC world. If there is a cheaper machine with a little less resolution they will buy it. This is still a lot of money in this market when you can buy a 1024 machine with better color wheel loaded for $1,000.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Alan - Absolutely. Until mainstream laptops get off of 1024x768, the corporate buyers won't care too much about anything beyond XGA.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, there's lots of different requirement for corporate buyers. My big complaint with the Dell DLPs is the absolutely wretched color fidelity- yellows that are light olive drab, reds that are a bluish magenta, etc. If you're only doing a few pie charts and don't care what the colors look like, that's OK. For someone using images or a more extensive color palette with a sense of design, it just won't do.

Most of our corporate laptops are 1400X1050 these days; mine is 1680X1050, and I'm probably going to pick up the Canon SX-50 this fall, in no small measure due to the combination of acceptable contrast, very good color fidelity, high resolutions, and manageable weight. This Dell wouldn't even be in the running for me, based on my past experience with them AT Dell and other customer locations.

~Jon

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
Alan - Absolutely. Until mainstream laptops get off of 1024x768, the corporate buyers won't care too much about anything beyond XGA.
I think TI is hoping to grab some of them with their new 1280x768 chips that can do both 1024x768 and 1280x720. I'm sure some people who want to take them home will want these chips :), but I'm not sure how many companies will go for those over true 4:3 units.

--Darin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88
gotta feel sorry for you rainbow folks - x1 for 2 years, 4700 hours, and I've yet to see one. With a good dell sale and a HTPC for image processing this thing could be a hell of a good value in ht.
What the? Almost 7 hours/day for 2 years? You have a full time job watching movies on your X1 or something?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbleckywelcky
What the? Almost 7 hours/day for 2 years? You have a full time job watching movies on your X1 or something?
Wow, you're right, I doubted your math at first. Then again, there's a guy who recently posted his bulb going after almost 8000 hours in one year.

No, but it's my regular TV, usually runs in the evenings. 10 hours on Sundays during football season (I'll leave the TV on while working around the house), still, it really averages to 6 hours a day, and that still seems like a lot. I'll have to talk to my wife about how many times she's turned off the source and left the PJ running - I know it happened once, now I'm thinking more then once.

That being said, never seen a rainbow, I have to assume that a 2x wheel means real cost savings otherwise I doesn't make sense to keep offering them. I'm curious about the physics behind a faster wheel having better color saturation - it would seem that a slower wheel would have greater dwell time for each color and fewer hits on the borders between colors - so long as the wheel is moving fast enough to mix the colors (ie. not show rainbows) it would seem that the slower the wheel the more saturated the colors. I'm sure I'm wrong, I'm just not sure why.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"I'm curious about the physics behind a faster wheel having better color saturation "

I think that's due to the lack of the clear segment.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
"I'm curious about the physics behind a faster wheel having better color saturation "

I think that's be due to the lack of the clear segment.
ok, that makes sense because the clear segment is there only for presentatino purposes - but a 2x wheel without a clear segment - just an rgb seems like it should have better saturation then a faster wheel.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Saturation is how "pure" the color is. So a white segment does desaturate colors (makes them pastels, technically, if you have a truly balanced lamp. My guess is that total "on" time is more important for saturation than what the absolute wheel speed is. However, that's a guess. From a measurement standpoint, more on time should increase the X/Y/Z value for the particular spectral power distribution. Some of that, though, will wash out in the xyY transformation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.