AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on setting up my newly acquired G-70 for 3 solid days. I have a lot of questions, but this is the most urgent.

The eBay auction for my projector showed the machine hours at 2891 and the CRTs at 349. It described the blue CRT as having "very light burn" and as having been replaced (I suppose as an explanation for why a machine with 349 CRT hours would have any amount of tube burn). I just pulled the blue lens to take a peek. Let me know what you think of of the CRT burn in the photos below.

The seller is a very nice guy with great feedback, but his CRT projector knowledge is admittedly limited. Thi is not what I expected to find when I pulled the lens. Right now I'm not very happy about it.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/ebay/CRT-3.jpg

http://www.dallasmusic.org/ebay/CRT-4.jpg

http://www.dallasmusic.org/ebay/CRT-5.jpg

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Doesn't look good I'm afraid... It is not just worn but does have a static image burn in it. I suppose there is no way to know for sure but if this has only 349 hours on it it was a static image for most of those hours!

I would pull the green and the red and have a look - maybe you'll be lucky and those will not have the burn.

If you put up a full-white screen you will be able to see the blue burn for sure...

If the everything else checks out you still got yourself a good deal.. A new tube can be had for $900 - $1000 or the VDC rebuilds are $495.

Let use know how it goes.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
While you will notice it in light scenes, and it will throw your greyscale off. I think you could use that tube for awhile.

Many of your friends probably wouldn't even notice it unless you point to out....unless your friends know what they are looking at, when it will be evident.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Phil,

It's obvious that the projector actually has 2891 hours on the tubes, as well as the chassis. While the chassis might be correct, ANYONE can turn back the CRT timers. That's exactly what happened here, the times were zeroed and since then simply ran up an additional 349 hours. The condition of the tubes are consistent with 2891 hours of hard use.

What happened to the Green and Red colors? This is supposed to be a G70 right?

Who was the Ebay seller?

Bruce

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

It is a G-70.

I did indeed notice it on the white warm up screen, but haven't noticed during regular viewing . Also the picture is overly warm and a little weak on the blue. I guess it could cause that, right?

The day I bought it on Ebay, I posted on AVS soliciting opinions. I mentioned the chassis/CTR hour discrepancy and no one commented about it. Since then, there has been a discussion about zeroing the CRT hour timers. That had me a bit worried but I was hoping for the best.

The green and blue tubes look perfect.

The seller is dlhcomputing. They've sold 5 or 6 CRT projectors in the last month. All the other machines had high hours, so I truly believe the hours on my Sony were turned back before they purchased it. They have 255 positive feedbacks with zero negatives. You can't achieve a feedback rating like that if your intent is to screw people.

Here's a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

Maybe I can buy a new tube and still come out ok on the deal (I do appreciate the encouraging words), but that's not really the point. I specifically wanted a low hour machine, so I could hopefully have years of maintenance free service. I was also hoping to get good deal. If I wanted pay top dollar, I would have bought from a reputable CRT dealer. But even that's not really the point. What matters most is, I want exactly what the auction description said I would get. If it were only a dollar item, I still would want it to be what it was suppose to be. I damn sure want it right on a $2,000 item.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi,

For sure this G70 Blue Tube seem to have 2891 hours, It could be use for sometime before changing the tube.

Take care (especially on Ebay) of CRT timers not being the same as chassis ones... If it's the case, expect tubes have the chassis hours, or there is a really good and well known reason...

Anyway, IMHO, $2000 is really a good deal for this G70, even in current state... (at least seen from Europe) !

--Patrice

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith
Thanks for the responses.

It is a G-70.

I did indeed notice it on the white warm up screen, but haven't noticed during regular viewing . Also the picture is overly warm and a little weak on the blue. I guess it could cause that, right?

The day I bought it on Ebay, I posted on AVS soliciting opinions. I mentioned the chassis/CTR hour discrepancy and no one commented about it. Since then, there has been a discussion about zeroing the CRT hour timers. That had me a bit worried but I was hoping for the best.

The green and blue tubes look perfect.

Phil,

One last observation, you say that the Green and Blue tubes look perfect. Are we still talking about the projector from the pictures above? If so, either you're making a mistake or my monitor screen is wearing out. You need a complete set of tubes, however, you got the pj at the right price in spite of the tubes.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bruce,

I'm sorry! I should have mentioned all 3 photos are of the blue tube. I had a hard time getting a consistent, accurate photo. As you can see they all look a little different.

I should also mention that when I used bright flash, the phosphorus surface of the CRT really reflected the light, masking the burn and making the CRT appear perfect. Something to keep in mind when looking at CRT photos of projectors for sale.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Phil,

Thanks for letting me know:p I was beginning to think I was either going crazy or that pj had the wrong tubes in it.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Phil, One thing I have noticed on G70's when looking through the front of the tube without the lens is the wear always looks worse in situ than it will appear on the projected image. I believe this is due to the C element magnifying the the whole tube face concentrated in the 3" or so aperture on the front of the tube. The remember the actual phosphor area is about 6" x 5" or so. And the wear patern is almost as large but less profuse.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
Phil,

One last observation, you say that the Green and Blue tubes look perfect. Are we still talking about the projector from the pictures above? If so, either you're making a mistake or my monitor screen is wearing out. You need a complete set of tubes, however, you got the pj at the right price in spite of the tubes.

Bruce
I think Phil meant to say Green and Red looked perfect

as the above photo is of the blue

I went back to the sellers post also noticed he mentioned that the R/G no visible signs of wear he also mentions the hours on the blue tube are not known yet says it has been replaced then says the blue has slight wear

yet the Photo of the hours clearly shows all tubes at 349Hrs I find it strange he say the blue has been changed

anyway that being said I agree with Bruce the chassis hours are the correct hours for all tubes IMHO I said this in an earlier post

Looking at the Blue tube as is I would say it is still usable as KennyG

says you will only notice this in white area of the screen and the average joe would not pick this

I would firstly do a table setup which should not take you long Project an image and see if you can live with it

I would try a dvd like vertical limit the sky scene should show the tea staining

then watch lord of the rings and make a decission from there

still Phil G70 is a nice Pj after testing the above you maybe pleasently surprised But I can understand how you feel !

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, Gatherer

I am watching a G70 with 4x3 wear at the moment, it is for sale on ebay too, see the pictures there and the screen shots. Price is in Australian dollars.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....022469898&rd=1

Last night I had to look twice to see the difference in the screen image.

You will get a good image for now and at the price you got a good deal.

Buy a new blue tube and install it when you feel it needs to be done

I love the image from a G70 and I am installing one of mine very soon

It does also say in the ad,"We carefully examined the tubes; the blue had very light burn, the red and green tubes had no visible burn. "

Burn is what it is, wear is all over, burn is usually text.

Mine has wear, as it is basically 4x3. not ideal but the picture is still very good

and yes the picture does exaggerate the wear on these tubes, the look worse in the picture than on the screen.

Good luck with the G70 and set it up and see how it looks, you may not find it too bad. If you do swap the tube.

GYZMO

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dennis,

I didn't know that and what you say makes a lot of sense. Actually, when I pulled the lens I thought I would see bare CRT face. I had no idea that the C element existed was surprised it was there.

Gatherer,

I originally noticed a slight amber tint in about half the picture during the white screen warm up period. That's what prompted me to pull the lens'. Turns out it's exactly the shape of the CRT burn, but flip-flopped. In normal viewing, even though it's faint, I clearly notice it on solid white images. Now that I know it's there, I find myself looking for it about half the time, which is maddening. Hopefully I'll eventually tune it out.

gyzmo,

You do have a point about the burn. I know it was mentioned in the description, my question was if it's burned more than the described "slight".

The more I think about it, I'm really more disappointed about the CRT hours. I go from thinking I have 2 almost new tubes to 2 tubes with 2,800 hours. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but my ebay customers get exactly what my auction description says they will. No surprises. If there is a discrepancy, they can return of item for a full refund, including all shipping costs. I don't think I'm doing anything special, it's what everyone should do.

But enough about this! I'm going to bed now, but I have a ton of other questions I want to ask you guys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry Phil but you have NO sympathy from me. You say the Green and Red look perfect. You practically stold the thing. All you have to do is put a new blue in to have one of ( THE BEST IMO) 8" pj out there. I am a proud G70 owner with NEW guns. Just bite the bullit and buy the NEW Blue gun and put it in. It is easy. Buy the manual. It is VERY worth it and you will still be way ahead of any digital pj costing ten times as much. Once again IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Williams
Sorry Phil but you have NO sympathy from me. You say the Green and Red look perfect. You practically stold the thing. All you have to do is put a new blue in to have one of ( THE BEST IMO) 8" pj out there. I am a proud G70 owner with NEW guns. Just bite the bullit and buy the NEW Blue gun and put it in. It is easy. Buy the manual. It is VERY worth it and you will still be way ahead of any digital pj costing ten times as much. Once again IMO.

Mike
I don't think he was complaining about the price or even the pj. He was simply saying that he felt the tube condition was "misrepresented" by the seller. While I also believe he got a good price, what if someone spends over their budget because of the sellers representation of it's condition and finds he now needs a new tube that he CANNOT AFFORD. What good is a "good deal" if you don't get what you thought you were getting. Besides, the thread started out as a tube replacement problem and HE DID have the service manual. He was just given a tube with a different part number than the original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.